Obliques - Recommended Exercises

Started by tigerforce, March 24, 2008 · 6 Replies · 7,159 Views

tigerforce

HI,

I'm very new to this site and to gymnastics.

Could someone please recommend some good solid exercises for obliques?

As I am new to gymnastics I would be grateful if you could explain the exercise so that I can search youtube.com for examples of the recommended exercises. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

Many thanks

Alex

Hakon

Hi. I'm new to the forum too. Anyway, here are some pretty good exercises for the obliques:

- Hanging leg raises with twists

- Side jackknives

- Regular Oblique Crunches

- Oblique Crunch on Bench

- Reverse oblique twists

Hope it helps:)

Tetsu

Side planks are also excellent, I start on one side (top leg in front of bottom leg) then after holding for 10-20 seconds roll in to a front plank keeping the pelvic and ribs rotating at the same time then roll in to the side plank on the oppisite side.

and just go back and forth without rest holding each position for 10-20 reps.

John Sapinoso

look at the thread called "side levers"

Tetsu
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168
tigerforce

Hi All,

Many thanks for everyone who replied.

Much appreciated.

Now I just have to start my side levers and progress

:-)

Cheers

Alex

Raizen

I suggest trying Pavel's full contact twist. I remember it being a pretty intense dynamic exercise for oblique strength. You could perhaps combine it with the static flag progressions for great results.