This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xtra Morning Routine: Cardio or High Intensity?

Started by Ryan Bailey, December 14, 2015 · 28 Replies · 948 Views

Stephen Majerle

Before starting foundation, I did almost exclusively running and cycling for a few years. I did MAF during most of that time. Started with a MAF pace of 10:48/mile, then got to an 8:07/mile MAF pace nine months later. It works if you stick with it.

My main focus now is GB, however I still do aerobic work everyday during my lunch hour and use MAF as my guide to keep my intensity low.

-MR
Ryan Bailey said:

Curious: Does a series of lighter, low heart rate (or aerobic range) runs over a long period of time really help in building an aerobic base?  I don't want the grandma and her walker to pass me.

In the past I've trained for soccer, basketball, outrigger canoe 1-2 hour race events with higher intensity aerobic/anaerobic practices and training, so not used to this slow approach.

It gets better man. For the first two or three weeks, my pace improved by 30 seconds per kilometer per week to the point where it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as the first time I went out. The pace is still slower than when I was racing ten years ago, but I just don't think I can train hard while also doing GST at this stage in my life with two young children and a career. Regardless, I'm not training for any competitive events, so it's not really a big deal if it doesn't work out, and it only involves me swallowing my pride a little and/or doing most of my runs at night :)

 

That being said, I do feel that my runs are way more enjoyable than before, and don't feel as "inflamed" as when I used to run hard. Someone already mentioned Mark Allen on here. If you want more inspiring anecdotes, you should read Mike Pigg's story from The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing found here: https://books.google.ca/books?id=RIkkAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PT51&ots=i7oQewdh1W&dq=mike%20pigg%20big%20book%20of%20endurance%20training&pg=PT57#v=onepage&q=mike%20pigg%20big%20book%20of%20endurance%20training&f=false

 

Finally, for what it's worth, I randomly came across a sample of Mark Sisson's new book in which he seems to advocate for a Maffetone approach to endurance training: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-endurance-is-here-early-grab-one-with-special-christmas-promo/

Ryan Bailey
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Anecdotally speaking Mark Allan, (the elite Ironman competitor and champion from the late 80s and early 1990s, who also happens to be a family friend to some degree) swears by this technique. He said it helped him over time to bring his heart down and eventually build up aerobic capacity and running pace. After a certain while, aerobic capacity and pace met at a crossroads (so, essentially his pace increased while his HR remained the same), he said it can take a few weeks or months of consistent training, but that once his pace was to a good clip (5-6, maybe 7, minutes a mile) he started working in speed or sprint days that weren't specifically HR-focused. Now, maybe that's not a good enough example, though he did win 7 Ironmen competitions, so, do with that what you will. So, if that's your focus I say stay with this for a few weeks wherein you do it a few days a week and your capacity should catch up, the F7 work will likely help get your HR in gear, too.

 

I played with this technique earlier in the fall and some progress with it, too, but I found my calves too sore (since I was also jumping rope and doing FSs) and preferred to just focus on work capacity and strength, since I don't care much for running long distances.

This is very interesting.  Especially since I happened to be at the Kona, Hawaii Ironman championship in 1995 that Mark Allen won.  I never would have thought about his several months of lower heart rate training to be that sort of athlete.  Of course at the time, I was more interested in checking out the Hawaiian girls than looking into Mark Allen's HR intensity training. ;)

Now looking into his training, it is interesting to learn he went several months building an aerobic base patiently below 150 beats per minute.

Anyhow, been giving it a go lately with the supplemental MAF training (running, biking, rowing machine etc.. lower heart rate 30-60 minutes) 

Today tried it with cross country skate skiing.  Much more difficult to keep the heart rate lower.  Had to mix in some slower classic ski technique to bring the heart rate down.  Not sure if many cross country skiers train with this similar lower heart rate, aerobic base building method; a little more controllable with running I find.

-MR

You should hit up MTNordic. Crazy nordic skiier/GSTer/scientist/all around nice guy with ample wisdom about these things.