This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HLL : Volume vs. weighted

Started by Jon Douglas, December 3, 2015 · 7 Replies · 423 Views

Jon Douglas

Good morning all, apologies in advance for the formatting of this post as I am posting from work;

My maximum on stall bar HLL is 15-20; still short of that 1x30 goal, but am working towards it by running this cycle on the 10r template alternated with stall bar RLL (on the same template, no rest Foundation-style) prior to my SL and Mn work. The plan is to finish this, then run on the 15r cycle 8-12 weeks, at which point I will test and except to come in pretty close to 30r. I also warmup with 30r sets of somewhat higher than horizontal 1/2 HLL on Foundation days ; I feel like I could grit and break 20 full reps some days.

My question is where weighted HLL come into the picture. My understanding is that volume is the much bigger concern in core work, but at what point does one increase intensity? Are the weights best used eg) after achieving that 30r set and building back up to that number before increasing again, or should they be included earlier?

Thanks much. :)

J0X

i am approximately where you are, i can do about 20-25reps, I would definetely try ankle weights for a while, because you need to wreck your core from time to time, and achieving this by normal HLL doesnt work for me anymore, I am used to it. 

 

Dont bother with 1/2 HLLs, the lower portion is basically rest.

Rayne-William
J0X said:

 

Don't bother with 1/2 HLLs, the lower portion is basically rest.

If you think the lower half of hanging leg lifts is basically rest. You are using too much momentum on the way up and on the way down.

Then again, I can recall you mentioning that you skipped RC/PE6.

J0X
Rayne-William said:

If you think the lower half of hanging leg lifts is basically rest. You are using too much momentum on the way up and on the way down.

Then again, I can recall you mentioning that you skipped RC/PE6.

Let's agree to disagree on that then. My form and tempo on this basic exercise is immaculate. For me personally, I don't see the benefits on training only the lower portion.

 

And what has me deciding to not continue RC6 to 5x60s ( i had 3 x 60s 1 x 50 1x 45 btw), an exercise designed mainly to reduce chances of elbow inflamement/injury in later progressions, got to do with anything?^^

Coach Sommer
J0X said:

... My form and tempo on this basic exercise is immaculate ...

 

I'll be the judge of that.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

J0X
Coach Sommer said:

I'll be the judge of that.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Of course :) Man, I knew I was stepping into dangerous territory with those words :D

Jon Douglas
Zach Armijo said:

Training the lower portion is absolutely necessary. That being said, I have never been a fan of the half HLL as you should strive to pull as high as possible. For unconditioned people however, they are lucky to make it to 90 degrees.

 

So to say there is no benefit in it would be incorrect. For the unconditioned, it's everything for now. For you personally, you sound strong enough that the lower portion isn't even a thought in your mind. That's why our later progressions take us to our L to V because the ground work has already been laid out and conquered. 

 

I am a huge fan of "over ROM" and tempo. It's not necessary, but I feel it important to know how to set proper shapes and tension. In HLL, I even like to arch at the bottom of the rep to completely reset and force myself to reengage hollow/PPT, much like you would and should be doing on tuck, straddle and V ups. 

Very nice.

Rayne-William
J0X said:

 

And what has me deciding to not continue RC6 to 5x60s ( i had 3 x 60s 1 x 50 1x 45 by the way), an exercise designed mainly to reduce chances of elbow inflammation/injury in later progressions, got to do with anything?^^

Tendon strength...If you would have continued to work on the skipped progression your tendons would be stronger than they are now.

 

Stronger tendons means more of your muscular strength goes to your bones without needing to build excess mass. Excess mass makes your movements slower and your body heavier. 

 

Reduced chances of inflammation and injury are just additional benefits to developing stronger tendons. While working on RC/PE6 the tendons in your trapezius, latissimus dorsi, serratus anterior, fingers, forearms, and biceps are all developed.

Personally speaking, on "Bad Weather" days I do an overgrip version of RC/PE6 hanging off of the half inch crown moulding just above my bedroom door. So far I am at 4 x 30 seconds. I am aiming for 5 x 45 seconds