Movement One Series

Started by Cory Fair, December 2, 2015 · 71 Replies · 23,344 Views

red1392

I think we can expect stuff that's connected to the ground/apparatus, nothing too aerial. Handstand walking/jumping, explosive pushups, pirouettes, circles, flares, presses, cartwheels and all of the above connected into sequences. 

jkoppel

When you say this requires a floor, do you mean a spring-loaded gymnastic floor, or just...a floor.

Jason Dupree
Cory Fair said:

Students who have been working diligently on handstand, planche shape and bridge will find this a smooth course while those who have not will need to shore up those areas.

 

I see there are no pre-requisites on the roadmap. While I (and hopefully everyone) have been working diligently on these things, I can't say they are mastered by any means. Is there a certain level of proficiency we should be before starting? ie: 30s handstand, planche lean, and full bridge?

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Oh that's awesome! Saw the post on facebook 30 mintues after it has been posted, and I jumped in place and watched the video like 5 times in a row.

Can't wait!!

Romulo

giphy.gif

Coach Sommer

1) Appears to be a lot of confusion about just what the GB Movement Courses consist of.

 

The structure of the movement series is quite simple.  They focus on movement as conditioning and examine it from the following perspectives; tumbling, supported and suspended.

 

There is a little bit of apparatus work sometimes included at the end of each course; but this is not a technical gymnastics course.  I repeat -  this is not a technical gymnastics course.  

 

The focus here is on building good quality general movement via GST conditioning.  Hence wherever possible drills have been developed which develop the necessary physical characteristics without needing the professional eye of a technical gymnastics coach.

 

2) This is not a high level technical tumbling course.  Nor am I ever going to teach you high level technical tumbling.  None of the GB courses have required a technical gymnastics background and this course is no exception.

 

This is simply exposing and requiring you to master essential basics of movement.  Even football players can handle these, and except for some of the advanced integrated rolling variations, include them in their warmups.   ;)

 

3) Equipment needed for Movement - Tumbling 1: just a floor and a panel mat.  Not only do you not need a competitive gymnastics floor, I actively discourage you from training on one.  Wrestling mats, carpet bonded foam, panel mats, grass etc are all preferable for general strength strength development.

 

4) This is a mastery based course.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
Dylan Robertson said:

... Does this mean there will be a specific course for the Pommel Horse for Example? Or in Tumbling 2 there will be a progression path for the Pommel Horse, Parallel Bars, etc. kind of like a path for Front Lever.

 

No.

 

These are Movement conditioning courses; not technical gymnastics courses.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
Jennifer said:

About how much time per week?

 

Like the other GB courses that is entirely dependent upon you, your schedule and your recovery ability.

 

My personal preference is to reserve Saturdays for Movement training.  Note that from day one of the release of the first GB course the vast majority of your GB programming Saturdays have been left blank.  Intentionally.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Stephan

This sounds great!

I have one question though: Will the elements in this course require a decent amount of floor space? When I think of movement, I don't typically think of things I can do in my small room where I do my foundation workout.

Joel Savell

Coach mentions a "Panel Mat" in one of his replies above, and furthermore, "actively discourages" training on a pro spring floor for this particular course.

 

I believe Panel Mat refers to a simple 4' x '8' folding wrestling/gymnastic mat.  That's what I use at home for Foundation and Handstand 1 work. 

 

Can't wait to check out movement one!

Coach Sommer
Daniel Stephan said:

This sounds great!

I have one question though: Will the elements in this course require a decent amount of floor space? 

 

Of course.  Difficult to move in a closet.  ;)

 

If however you do not have access to sufficient indoor space, there is always the great outdoors.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ian Gibson
Coach Sommer said:

...there is always the great outdoors.

I may be tumbling in the snow in a couple weeks.

Coach Sommer
Ian Gibson said:

I may be tumbling in the snow in a couple weeks.

 

Alright with me.  The snow will help to cushion your mistakes and hide your bad form.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak
Coach Sommer said:

Like the other GB courses that is entirely dependent upon you, your schedule and your recovery ability.

 

My personal preference is to reserve Saturdays for Movement training.  Note that from day one of the release of the first GB course the vast majority of your GB programming Saturdays have been left blank.  Intentionally.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Will these courses suck up a lot of work capacity, and how much time would the courses generally take to complete?

 

Can you elaborate on what "supported" and "suspended" movement mean?

Coach Sommer
Alexander Egebak said:

Will these courses suck up a lot of work capacity, and how much time would the courses generally take to complete?

 

 

 

Now that would depend entirely upon whether or not you had any meaningful degree work capacity to start with, now wouldn't it?   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
Alexander Egebak said:

... Can you elaborate on what "supported" and "suspended" movement mean?

 

No.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

orangutan

Will the structure be along the lines of: 

 

Tumbling 1, 2, 3

Supported 1, 2, ...

Suspended 1, 2, ...

 

?

Jon Douglas

Last pieces of the (first) puzzle are falling into place :D

Coach Sommer
J0X said:

... Is there any info on when Rings 2 will be released ? ...

 

Not a major priority as I am fairly sure that the vast majority of people are not prepared for Rings 2 as most have still not mastered a free handstand or press handstand.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
orangutan said:

Will the structure be along the lines of: 

  

Tumbling 1, 2, 3

Supported 1, 2, ...

Suspended 1, 2, ...

 

?

Now that is an interesting question, isn't it?

 

And one that you already knew that I wasn't going to answer.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey

post-16980-0-74261300-1449178366_thumb.j

I was excited like everyone else for Movement 1, until I calmed myself down and remembered that none of Coach's courses have been easy. In fact, they are a lot of work.

And honestly, now I'm a bit frightened to see what lies ahead.

Alessandro Mainente
Coach Sommer said:

No.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I've some ideas about that....bbbbbbut I like surprise!!! a lot

orangutan
Ryan Bailey said:

attachicon.gifYou-Scared-Me-Funny-Monkeys.jpg

 

nice picture of me, ryan

J0X
Coach Sommer said:

Not a major priority as I am fairly sure that the vast majority of people are not prepared for Rings 2 as most have still not mastered a free handstand or press handstand.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I understand, to be realistic this course will always only adress a few people, as foundation is extremely demanding.

 

However, just out of curiosity, do you plan on releasing it at the end of 2016? Once I have the stalder press HS in the bag (for which I am training religiously to get the mobility :) ), I should have enough preparation to finally start specific ring strength productively.

 

Thanks

palazzolo85
Coach Sommer said:

Not a major priority as I am fairly sure that the vast majority of people are not prepared for Rings 2 as most have still not mastered a free handstand or press handstand.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What if a student presented you with video proof of Rings One Mastery.

Also, I know a few seasoned gymnast who are quite advanced but know you and would love to go through your more advanced progressions, like inverted cross and maltese.