Planche lean form check
Started by Yetibruh, November 30, 2015 · 12 Replies · 3,363 Views
You have very piked hips which impedes your PPT. Once you open your hips you can then assess if you have enough lean.
More ppt is needed. Also i would say that your rounding your thoratic spine area to much.
Way too much thoracic rounding. Focus on staying as straight as possible throughout your entire spine.
Lift your head up into a neutral position, and I disagree that there is too much "thoracic rounding" because you have no lean. When you lean further you have to depress, if you maintain that level of protraction and depress this should put your upper body in the right position. Just keep the hips down as you lean with a strong PPT. Take a picture with your head neutral, same position you have here, but add lean.
Eddie said:Lift your head up into a neutral position, and I disagree that there is too much "thoracic rounding" because you have no lean. When you lean further you have to depress, if you maintain that level of protraction and depress this should put your upper body in the right position. Just keep the hips down as you lean with a strong PPT. Take a picture with your head neutral, same position you have here, but add lean.
Thoratic spine has nothing to do with protraction and depression of scapula. At any level of lean his shoulder should be depressed and protracted not only as lean gets big enough.
Protract, depress as you move forward and increase lean. If the hips don't pike, the thoracic spine rounds. I am on the same page as you, but I was simply saying that i think the excessive rounding will fix itself with more depression (aka lean) and I think he should focus on that instead of worrying about his back curve which usually results in a beginner protracting less.
Eddie said:Protract, depress as you move forward and increase lean. If the hips don't pike, the thoracic spine rounds. I am on the same page as you, but I was simply saying that i think the excessive rounding will fix itself with more depression (aka lean) and I think he should focus on that instead of worrying about his back curve which usually results in a beginner protracting less.
You are right in the sense that a planche lean on the floor requires a little rounding, but the rounding here is too excessive. Make him do an elevated plank or planche lean and the spine should be completely horizontal; I can tell you that he rounds too much for that too happen.
I demonstrated the difference in rounding with protraction/depression in a sticky topic in "basic strength" subforum. Check it out.
Thank you all for the input, though I must admit that it is still somewhat confusing.
So basically it is just Protraction+Depression+StraightBack+PPT
I was under the impression that a rounded upper back is the ideal position, but seeing those pictures in Naterman's thread of planches with straight backs has got me thinking otherwise.
I will re-post later with a flat back and see what you guys think. I do hope that Coach can come in and shed some more light on this.
Eddie said:Protract, depress as you move forward and increase lean. If the hips don't pike, the thoracic spine rounds. I am on the same page as you, but I was simply saying that i think the excessive rounding will fix itself with more depression (aka lean) and I think he should focus on that instead of worrying about his back curve which usually results in a beginner protracting less.
This is incorrect. There is no relation between piking and the thoracic spine rounding, they're independent from each other and the excessive rounding will not fix itself with more depression which is not aka lean. He should focus on straightening the thoracic spine first before anything else.
K