Stretch or foundations?

Started by Hermogenes, November 29, 2015 · 8 Replies · 3,443 Views

Hermogenes

I am 44 yo, have experiece with a bunch of madalities (Pilates, hot yoga, team sports, weights etc) adn am looking to increase Range of Motion trough my whole body short term.

 

Being able to do Pistols (one legged squats) as well as one hand hand stand is the long term goal.

 

The problems: I have a groin injury and teach 07 classes a week (Cycling, condiitoning, Pilates - I do my best to coach more and perform to a minimum) plus weight training 3-4X week.

 

I am not sure what is the best starting course for me.

 

Please advise.

Joshua Slocum

Stretch would be the place to start if your short term goals are to increase ROM and you have an existing training regimen. You can't really do Foundation and a weight training at the same time, so I'd try to stretch courses, and if you like them then consider starting Foundation+Handstand. 

Dylan Robertson

Stretch Courses hands down win here. They will make Foundation Courses much easier if you choose to purchase them later down the road. The Stretch courses will fix all your mobility deficits, and bulletproof your body so as little injuries as possible happenX my only regret is that I haven't bought them yet bc I Don't have the money right now, hoping on some Christmas Cash..

vinca_minor

Sorry, it seems a bit ridiculous for you to make those claims when they've only been out for around 9 months, and you haven't even bought them.

Dylan Robertson

What I do have is mobility exercises from the other courses. And I know, that I would much prefer to have Stretch courses and more mobility and do weightlifting then anything else. Progression is what it is about. If you're doing Straight Arm Strength Exercises, taking it slowly and building up your connective tissue, doing bent arm strength exercises and progressing accordingly (whether it's bodyweight or barbell, doesn't matter), and your mobility then you will be fine. The Stretch Courses in my opinion are the most essential courses on this whole website, many of the Foundation exercises require a high degree of mobility that you won't have at the beginning and it presents them to you early on with no solution.

Coach Sommer

All of the basic GB courses (stretch, foundation, handstand) are designed to be worked simultaneously.  Of course GB Stretch should be performed with GB Foundation/GB Handstand.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gettingstarted

I'm new to the site as of last week, highest level monthly subscription.  I'm planning to order the stretch course, but since there are no samples of it or programming information, I was curious how many days a week stretch should be incorporated for an individual beginning with 3 days of Foundation 1 and H1.  

Joshua Slocum
gettingstarted said:

I'm new to the site as of last week, highest level monthly subscription.  I'm planning to order the stretch course, but since there are no samples of it or programming information, I was curious how many days a week stretch should be incorporated for an individual beginning with 3 days of Foundation 1 and H1.  

Each stretch course takes about 45 minutes (probably a bit more for a beginner because you have to look up the exercises). Each of the three stretch courses should be done once a week. 

gettingstarted

Thank you for answering my question so quickly, Joshua.  I appreciate it.