This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE5

Started by Shellberight, November 28, 2015 · 52 Replies · 799 Views

Petri Widsten

I've built up to 5 x 30s with the kind of lean demonstrated below (hands at lower ribs). I'm still doing the same for 2-3 weeks to consolidate form but I'd like suggestions as to what to do after that. Should I

a) Stay where I am to improve form (if so, what aspects?)?

b) Stay at PE5 but increase lean and build up again to 5 x 30s?

c) Do a cycle of PE6 then come back to PE5 and increase lean?

d) Progress to PE6?

 

Cole Dano

I like option c) as I find it can make extending the lean more intuitive. 

One technical point to be aware of is keeping the shoulders pulled back away from the ears. 

Petri Widsten

Ok Cole, I'll give option c) a go after consolidating my current form. Thanks!

Leo Trinidad

good idea @Petri Widsten:)

btw, i would just want to add to keep pushing your hips downward without bending the knees to strengthen your ppt. you will need a super strong PPT for a hollow straddle planche. ;)

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano @Leo Trinidad

Short and sweet 10s leans today to deload and a good chance to focus on refining my form before that stint at PE6 starting in a couple of weeks. How am I doing?

 

Leo Trinidad

huge improvement @Petri Widsten keep it up. :) 

Petri Widsten

Thank you Leo. I find it easier to experiment with form now that I've built up a certain endurance in the leans. Now it seems to be about finding the right muscle activation pattern. Anything in particular still needs improvement?

Cole Dano

The lower half is very good. 

The thing to work on from there is keeping the shoulders away from the ears. When the shoulders ride up like they are now the mid back will over round. 

Still this is a great step forward and the depression of the shoulders will come over time so don't compromise the rest of the shape to get it.  

Petri Widsten
56 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

The lower half is very good. 

The thing to work on from there is keeping the shoulders away from the ears. When the shoulders ride up like they are now the mid back will over round. 

Still this is a great step forward and the depression of the shoulders will come over time so don't compromise the rest of the shape to get it.  

Cheers Cole. I've never actually focused on depression, so it's been what it's been, but I'll add it to the list. So many focus points you have to get to play in harmony :-)

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad

Gents, I did a short lean today to address the depression while avoiding excessive mid-back rounding. Did I find the right "antidepressant"? I really focused on that aspect and I don't see how I could possibly pull my shoulders further down as they already seemed to "hit the bottom". I also hope that in trying to do so I didn't regress to Form 4 - if I did, what was compromised? What I can say is that this position felt really strong and solid.

 

Cole Dano

That's the idea!

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano @Leo Trinidad

Great! Something still to improve while I'm training PE5 before PE6? Increasing the lean (hands to hips) will be my focus after PE6 so I'll get to build up to 5 x 30 s again.

Andre Simlacher

Hey Perti, great improvement!

Good lean and depression.Maybe you can film yourself from an angle were you can check your protraction better.Hard to tell from this angle but it looks like you can work on more protraction.

I'm also working at the moment at PLL and when I filmed myself from more above where I can see my upper back and traps I realized that I was not protracting enough.The curved spine(especially in the middle back) gave me the feeling of protraction but there was 'gap' in the area of my upper traps which I'm now working on!For me it helps to focus more on the upper back and traps and not curving the spine so much in the middle part.

 

Petri Widsten

Hi Andre

Interesting idea shooting a video from higher up, thanks for that. After recent feedback I think I lost that excessive rounding and focused on the upper back like you said you did. I definitely felt I was protracting but am not sure at what point it's considered enough. It would be good if the coaches could clarify that and comment on my protraction. I can certainly take a video from a higher position if that helps to make the call.

Leo Trinidad

I agree with Andre, please try to shoot the video from a different angle @Petri Widsten :)

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad@Andre Simlacher

Well, here are videos from two angles. Hope they make checking easier.

 

Cole Dano

This looks fine.

Shape is good, eventually we'll want more lean, but this is now building the right base for you.

Leo Trinidad
12 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

@Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad@Andre Simlacher

Well, here are videos from two angles. Hope they make checking easier.

 

nice one :) keep up the good form and that attitude. try to be consistent with your protraction because it collapsed in the end and keep pushing your hips for a stronger PPT. overall you just build up time and refine your form even more then the next progressions will become much more easy.

Petri Widsten

Thanks Leo. Normally (when not deloading) I do 5 leans each session and hold each one until failure, technical or otherwise. Here as I wanted to keep them very short I relaxed the protraction before ending the lean which may look like collapsing. 

I feel ready now for a cycle of PE6. After that I'll come back to PE5 to extend the lean and continue to refine the form.

Petri Widsten
8 hours ago, Cole Dano said:

This looks fine.

Shape is good, eventually we'll want more lean, but this is now building the right base for you.

Hi Cole

Yeah, I know, I've held back on the lean to focus on form but increasing it is next on the cards. I hope PE6 will pave the way. Thanks for your feedback.

Petri Widsten

Hi @Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad

Deloading this week so just did a few short leans to test how they are working with hands at hips. Do I have mastery lean & form?

 

 

Leo Trinidad

very nice @Petri Widsten maintain that lean, protraction and PPT and you're good to go. i have noticed that towards the end of the video your protraction collapsed and this is normal because you lean farther. only lean to the point that you can hold before adding more lean.

Petri Widsten

OK, Leo, thanks for that. I tend to allow the protraction to relax just before ending a lean. A bad habit I should change.

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano@Leo Trinidad

Today I did 5 x 12s quite comfortably so if there is nothing more to correct in my lean this will be my last PLL form check and I expect to achieve 5 x 30s in a few weeks.

 

Cole Dano

Carry on!