This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE5

Started by Shellberight, November 28, 2015 · 52 Replies · 799 Views

Shellberight

I'd like to know whether my form is now good and whether I'm leaning enough.

https://youtu.be/TVFSnnRrq3g

Pafke

In the biggining it looks nice maybe your but is a bit to high, later as video gets to end you start to lose protraction and your but goes up more.

I would say that there should be a little bit more lean for mastery.

Shellberight

Hello Pafke

 

I'll try to add a bit to my lean as you say.

 

It's hard to get people to comment on this exercise so I'm glad you did.

Shellberight

How does this look? I tried to get a more diagonal bodyline. In terms of lean, if mine is not sufficient, where should my body be in relation to my hands? It seems the pinkies are now approximately at navel level.

 

https://youtu.be/h7n6Sbk6uM4

Pafke

This looks better, at beggining you drop your hips a little to much but you corrected it few seconds later. As for lean hands should be between ribs and hips for mastery, yours are at ribs level so you have few centimeters to add which should come pretty fast. http://prntscr.com/99bgqa

If you noticed as video gets to end your head start to fall down and your look goes back where palms are, pulling your head down like so can round your thoratic spine and create ilussion that your still holding max. protraction but your not. Everything is ok with your form but im just saying this so you can avoid this bad habit in future. :)

Shellberight

Cheers mate

 

I intentionally dropped my head in the end. So I'm not fooling anybody by rounding my thoracic spine :). There goes that plan out of the window...Plan B is to have the lowest ribs surgically removed.

Shellberight

I built this up to +20s leans and have now increased the extent of lean to what I hope is "between hips and lower ribs". Am I there yet?

Duration has also gone down to 5-8s until I lose protraction. This is today's last lean.

https://youtu.be/kE9fuQ6gxNE

Jon Douglas

Your line looks great but it looks like your protraction/depression is lacking in this video. When you set up, your shoulder blades do not move and there is no visible lat activation, the delts just jam forward a bit.

This could i admit just be the not great video distance :) if you could re shoot it may well prove me wrong

Shellberight

I'll post one taken closer up next time I do the leans, Jon. Can you see whether I'm leaning enough?

I mainly feel these in the shoulders. I didn't know lats are supposed to be activated.

Jon Douglas

Distance on lean is good, altho you do what I also do and tend to push your very upper back out rather than push shoulders forward. Correcting that should not be difficult but will shift weight from your shoulders to your traps in short order :)

Jon Douglas

Addendum;

Lats kick in as a function of scap depression. Maybe necessary for you to get a planche maybe not, but i like to promote over preparing as a habit :)

Shellberight

Thanks for the advise, Jon. Next time I'll try if I can feel the difference.

Petri Widsten

I've been training this for a few months now and can do 5 sets with this form. To me my form looks ok until 20 s - then I lose a bit of protraction and my body becomes slightly piked. Is my form before that acceptable?

 

 

Cole Dano

I think the form is ok. 

From a cinematic POV remember to turn you camera sideways when filming so we can see more of you and less of the room. Particularly for sPL work, getting a good view of the shoulders is important.

 

Petri Widsten

But you agree that the last third is not good enough, Cole?

I'll try to keep the camera tip in mind. If it was unclear, I was definitely protracting hard.

Cole Dano

---last 3rd wasn't as strong, but not a huge form break, it's a good sign if you can feel the change in shape.

Ultimately, you are going to need more lean, so I'd look at this as a first pass through and act accordingly.

 

Petri Widsten

Thanks Cole. As my hands seem to be between my lower ribs and hips, I thought it would be a pass regarding the amount of lean. Is this not so? 

I know that when the goal is sPL the lean will ultimately have to increase. I can already lean more but maybe only for half of the time. 

For now should I stay with this exercise and increase the lean for 5x30s or proceed to PE6?

 

 

Cole Dano

Your hands are about at your lower ribs, it's enough for PPPu but in PLL we'd like to develop more. 

I personally like to go from the floor version, then elevated, then if more lean is still required, back through the two.

Don't get too worked up over what a pass is or isn't here, just do the solid work you've been doing and let time do it's job. This is a key element. Quite a few people have cycled through leans a couple of times or more.

Petri Widsten

Yeah, I know these leans are key to future success. Just wasn't sure about my best course of action. I'll post a video with more lean later to check whether it's enough at this stage. Thanks again!

Petri Widsten

Here are two new editions with more lean. I'd like advise on which one of the two would be more productive for me to train until I can do sets of 30s.

The first one where my hands are at my waist band I can hold for +20s but not 30s. The second one is as much lean as I can manage and hold it for about 10s. There my hands are below the waist band.

Also, is the first one enough lean for PPL or only the second one? Where exactly is "hip level" in that space?

I'm not considering cycling btw PPL and ePPL at the moment because all my pushing exercises are coming along well so I see no need to change. I have one session per week of PPL, PPPU and 90 degree pike push-ups.

https://youtu.be/S4cDHp5Dn5g

 

https://youtu.be/Wa1LQEHQ9O8

 

Petri Widsten

Bump

Cole Dano

Interestingly you're actually working better in the 2nd video. Go with that, and just work your way up to that 30s hold week by week.

There have been plenty of element that I've started from Step One and just patiently worked up, no big deal if it takes a few months to work your way through.

I'd say by the time you finish from that lean, you should be ready to move forward. But of course, post a progress report or two if in doubt.

Petri Widsten

OK, I'll work on the max lean version, Cole. Could you tell me why my form is better in the second one so that I know what I should pay attention to?

Is the 2nd "hip level" but the 1st not? The actual difference in lean is a few cm but makes a big difference.

Cole Dano

Better protraction (I think because it's forcing to really work for it) and better tension in the core. Not so much about the height difference as it is the quality of core activation between the two.

Petri Widsten

Yeah, that makes sense. I tend to protract to maximise duration and you're right - in the 2nd one the lean is so much that I have no choice but to go all out on the protraction from the start. Thanks Cole, this is very helpful.