I've started working on H2 in earnest but lack stall bars, any alternatives for the at least some of the early IMs?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
No stall bars - IM alternatives?
Started by Murray Truelove, November 19, 2015 · 11 Replies · 415 Views
Murray Truelove said:I've started working on H2 in earnest but lack stall bars, any alternatives for the at least some of the early IMs?
Here's one clever alternative: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/22476-phspe1im/#entry199543
Yeah, I was gonna say I just posted on this. I think a smith machine and some 45lb plates is the best bet as a steady alternative (you can incrementally decrease the distance between feet and hands on the Smith machine which makes tracking progress easier-- the Smith machine is less likely to buckle under load than a railing or gated door, too).
I workout at home so no smith machine. I was thinking of putting a barbell through my gymnastic rings but obviously this would move a bit.
If you have a couple of straps you can hang them over a door using some version of a door hangar. Then put your feet on the door and hold the straps like you would the wall bars.
Cole Dano said:If you have a couple of straps you can hang them over a door using some version of a door hangar. Then put your feet on the door and hold the straps like you would the wall bars.
I can just imagine the look on my girlfriends face! She's already worried that I'm ruining the flat with my improvised apparatus.
Any reason why the MN IMs aren't a good substitute?
Murray Truelove said:I can just imagine the look on my girlfriends face! She's already worried that I'm ruining the flat with my improvised apparatus.
Any reason why the MN IMs aren't a good substitute?
Unless you are using huge weights you aren't going to match the bodyweight-at-arms-length factor of the stall bar work ![]()
Jon Douglas said:Unless you are using huge weights you aren't going to match the bodyweight-at-arms-length factor of the stall bar work
I think I've got a solution for the vertical pike walks from the MN progression, would that do?
Murray Truelove said:I think I've got a solution for the vertical pike walks from the MN progression, would that do?
As compared to inverted pike reps?
Not great but better than nothing if you are genuinely stumped.
This might sound stupid...
I've noticed that the mobility works from PE7 and onwards are pancakes.
If we would be able to do the pHS/PE7 > iM Pancake Arch-up perfectly, would it be ok if we do say PE1 strength element and PE7 mobility between sets?
I also train at home and can't find anywhere with a stall bar or something similar..
I can't answer this specific example, but in general, being able to perform a later element in GB, doesn't necessarily mean that a previous element is not needed or not useful. Later elements build on previous elements but don't always substitute them.
If anybody has a power rack at their gym I've found that that works well...once you get over the fear of falling on your face. Luke Searra gave me the idea as Coach posted on it. Another option is to do the same approach but in a Smith machine with your feet on the floor and wedged next to 45lb. plates. Can't find the video links now, but simply put on the power rack, you rack two bars on opposite sides of the support pillars. The higher bar will be on the far side of the pillar and you will pull it into the pillar and then the lower bar will be where you place your feet as it will be on near side of the pillar. The bars might move initially as you find your balance, but it's the best substitute I've found. Doing these the same day as Jefferson Curls really gets the skeptics going at my gym, god forbid if I'm testing for mastery that day, too, and have to take my shirt off for a form check -- the masses would go crazy.