This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS/PE1>im

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, November 18, 2015 · 10 Replies · 496 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, my gym doesn't have stall bars, does anyone have any good substitutes to work on these? I've used variety of options over the past few weeks but none of them are great: a gated door, a railing, the base of pullup/dip station. Each option seems unstable to support me putting my feet up, so I've wedged my feet at the base as I'm still getting going with this im. I know that as I progress it will be more beneficial if I have something with which I can more readily track progress (with stall bars the decreasing number of bars serves as a good barometer, so something equitable would be best). All ideas are welcome.

Romulo

I use the closest park that has some playground equipment like jungle gym, etc. The rungs distance is not ideal but is better than nothing.

Ryan Bailey
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

So, my gym doesn't have stall bars, does anyone have any good substitutes to work on these? I've used variety of options over the past few weeks but none of them are great: a gated door, a railing, the base of pullup/dip station. Each option seems unstable to support me putting my feet up, so I've wedged my feet at the base as I'm still getting going with this im. I know that as I progress it will be more beneficial if I have something with which I can more readily track progress (with stall bars the decreasing number of bars serves as a good barometer, so something equitable would be best). All ideas are welcome.

Hey Daniel,

Have you finished F1 or H1 yet to be doing that stuff? ;-)

Here is what I use in my gym until my stall bars at home are finished.

I'd like to see what other ideas you may come up with as well.

Good luck,

Ryan

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

No, no I have not yet finished F1 and H1. Should I stop what I'm doing? Because I certainly read somewhere that the first few elements weren't super dependent on H1 or F1 being completed. Thanks for the input, how many weight plates are you using?

Ryan Bailey
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

No, no I have not yet finished F1 and H1. Should I stop what I'm doing? Because I certainly read somewhere that the first few elements weren't super dependent on H1 or F1 being completed. Thanks for the input, how many weight plates are you using?

I was totally kidding about doing pHS! I have no say regarding that topic...

I thought you would understand my humor a little bit better by now. Ha ha.

I used 3, 25 lb. plates. I could use another 25 lb plate though. Anything less began to slip.

I first tried a simple plastic step up... bad idea! Stall bars would be much better and I wish my gym would put some up. I spoke with the gym manager as well as other trainers about getting them, but they all say "what the heck would we do on those?"

Oops, I meant 45# plates, locked in with a 35# plate against the bottom brace.

Ryan

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, I knew you were kidding. I was just throwing it back.

KevinH

I'm considering using a rope/strap wrapped around a pole, post, tree. A squat rack would do nicely just make sure it's secure so it doesn't slide when you lean out.

Paul Gray

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this about letting gravity take you into a pike stretch?  Can we not replace it just by placing our hands on our ankles and then pulling down for reps? Or even something like a stiff leg deadlift with weighted pike at the bottom?

Or is something else going on in here that I'm not aware of because I don't have stall bars, so can't try it :(

 

Coach Sommer
32 minutes ago, Paul Gray said:

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this about letting gravity take you into a pike stretch?  Can we not replace it just by placing our hands on our ankles and then pulling down for reps? Or even something like a stiff leg deadlift with weighted pike at the bottom?

Or is something else going on in here that I'm not aware of because I don't have stall bars, so can't try it :(

 

Nope.

The loads of the two stretches are completely different.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Paul, 

One constant is that G (gravity) is always acting on us. Other variables aside: frequency, consistency, TUT… results from "stretches" (agh, hate that word) GREATLY vary thanks to, well, gravity!

Depending on the position of your body and your anchor points in relationship to G (usually # of feet and hands, but there could be others), the tissues will stretch, open 3-dimensionally in different multiple planes (directions) simultaneously. 

If you don't have stall bars, I would urge you to try Ryan's brilliant makeshift stall bar gym solution (see video posted above) and you will be able to feel the difference in your body. I personally love this one because it goes deep into areas close to my spine I cannot target by other means. For you, if I recall correctly from a video I saw, it may do wonders for your Hamstrings. Go for it!

Ryan Bailey

Haha. Thanks Eva.  But don't look at my hand placement in the video; I didn't know what I was doing with this exercise back then.  By the way, I like your solution best; doing whatever the heck you need to in order to get those bars up!  I like this exercise much better on the stall bars...