A different way to train levers?

Started by erikmckinley, September 24, 2009 · 5 Replies · 6,698 Views

erikmckinley

I have an interesting set up in my room, where I can put my feet onto the wall as I hang on the rings. I can use this to straighten out myself all the way and keep myself horizontal.

I don't work my core doing this, but I can flex my shoulders and it works just my shoulders. It feels like its working more intensely than doing tuck levers.

Any thoughts on this?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

Should be ok if you are keeping the necessary muscles contracted and working in combination with an unassisted variation

Blairbob

It's just another way to self spot.

braindx

Make sure you have correct torso posture.

Usually assisting feet on the wall for planche makes the user arch which is incorrect.

Coach Sommer

As this method is not allowing you to train your core simultaneously along with the shoulder girdle, it would seem to be less than optimal. Why double your training load (e.g. working the shoulder girdle and core separately) when it is not necessary?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Interesting you say that because a coach down in your area, Jack Carter, lectured at a clinic at Congress that anytime you can train more than 1 thing at once, you were getting a better bang for your buck. I've really come to try to implement this in a lot of our training to save precious time.