This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My first press handstand

Started by Ravn, November 17, 2015 · 30 Replies · 1,255 Views

Ravn

Hi guys.

Check this out - I bought H2 2 weeks ago, and this is my progress:

https://youtu.be/7VJZ0g_1TX4

Now, be gentle, this is seriously like my fifth press ever, I know it's far from perfect.

PS: I am kind of joking here. F1 and H1 made this possible, but I look forward to really get stuck in with these exercises in H2.

korija

sick! i cant wait to be able to complete f1 and h1 :)

Alessandro Mainente

Not bad, maybe a little bit of work more on handstand.

Keilani Gutierrez

nice! ^_^

-MR

Not bad for an old fart :) 

Ravn

Turning 40 next week!

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Very nice :)

Alexander Egebak
Ravn said:

Turning 40 next week!

Got yourself a party trick then!

Ravn
Alexander Egebak said:

Got yourself a party trick then!

Hoped to have a straddle planche, but this will have to do...

LateStarter@46

Well done Ravn! All that hard work paying off, it's very inspiring  :D

Mercurium

Bloody awesome! I think it was wicked  :D

-MR
Ravn said:

Turning 40 next week!

Only a year and a half behind you in age; at least 3 years behind you in press handstands... 

 

Nice work :)

Ravn
-MR said:

Only a year and a half behind you in age; at least 3 years behind you in press handstands... 

 

Nice work :)

Thanks for the flattery, but you don't know that, really - I tried this just a year ago and it was impossible. Tried again a week ago, after Coach's rant about lack of love for the press handstand, and found out that I could actually do it.

strme

Nice nice

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Very nice Ravn!

Murray Truelove

Inspiring stuff!

There can't be many people turning 40 who can do that!

Ravn
Murray Truelove said:

Inspiring stuff!

There can't be many people turning 40 who can do that!

Well, like everyone else here I feel like I'm just getting started.

 

It's thrilling to see that there's progress, and even though I've been plateaued on a number of PE's for a while, I feel like I've hit a breakthrough recently, mostly because I had to restructure my workout a bit to fit in with a GST group I'm running, and also because leading that group means I have to give full throttle to be able to finish simultaneously with the beginners who are doing low volume.

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

I had to restructure my workout a bit to fit in with a GST group I'm running, and also because leading that group means I have to give full throttle to be able to finish simultaneously with the beginners who are doing low volume.

I like that. Very cool :D

Ravn

For those interested, the restructuring involves doing a solo warmup, then straight into a freestanding HBP17 session. This is usually the element that takes the longest for me, as it involves skill, has failed reps etc. - So I can't do it along with the group, or we'll get out of sync.

 

So, I do HBP17 on my own, then the group arrives and we run through the elements. When we reach HBP, I do HBP18, as I need supplementary work for my pushing strength.

 

This works very well, it cut the time for a HBP17 session at 4x3r including iM from 13 minutes to 9 minutes in a week, so now I've bumped the reps up to 4x4r. Progress!

Luzian

Amazing progress on the press! I'm hoping to get there one day too...

Alexander Egebak
Ravn said:

For those interested, the restructuring involves doing a solo warmup, then straight into a freestanding HBP17 session. This is usually the element that takes the longest for me, as it involves skill, has failed reps etc. - So I can't do it along with the group, or we'll get out of sync.

 

So, I do HBP17 on my own, then the group arrives and we run through the elements. When we reach HBP, I do HBP18, as I need supplementary work for my pushing strength.

 

This works very well, it cut the time for a HBP17 session at 4x3r including iM from 13 minutes to 9 minutes in a week, so now I've bumped the reps up to 4x4r. Progress!

That is a pretty clever workaround!

Luzian
Ravn said:

Thanks for the flattery, but you don't know that, really - I tried this just a year ago and it was impossible. Tried again a week ago, after Coach's rant about lack of love for the press handstand, and found out that I could actually do it.

Could you say which part, lack of strength, flexibility, technique, etc. seemed impossible a year ago? What has changed since then? I'd be very interested because the press to handstand is my next big goal. I've watched your video a few times and it looks so easy... until I start trying to do it myself that is :)

Ravn
Luzian said:

Could you say which part, lack of strength, flexibility, technique, etc. seemed impossible a year ago? What has changed since then? I'd be very interested because the press to handstand is my next big goal. I've watched your video a few times and it looks so easy... until I start trying to do it myself that is :)

Well, F1 and H1 are highly synergistic, so it's difficult to single particular exercises out. I've definitely become stronger overall.

That said, I think weighted dislocates have beefed up my traps quite a bit, which helps at the bottom of the movement. My pike has become better from the MN iM's (I don't own the stretch course yet). Finally, it feels like going through mastery of reverse stall bar leglifts at a slow rep tempo has added a lot of control over the lifting / lowering of the legs.

Keep on keeping on.

Kai Ewert
Luzian said:

Could you say which part, lack of strength, flexibility, technique, etc. seemed impossible a year ago? What has changed since then? I'd be very interested because the press to handstand is my next big goal. I've watched your video a few times and it looks so easy... until I start trying to do it myself that is :)

The funny thing is that when it seems impossible, you don't know why it is impossible :)

 

I would get that feeling at times even when I already had done the press. There are three things that I noticed and now go through each time I set up:

  1. compression - am I engaging so as to actively pinch something between my legs and my torso?
  2. protraction/elevation - am I trying as hard as I can to press the floor away from me (straight down) with STRAIGHT arms?
  3. commitment - believe! if you don't, you will not commit to the small lean forward that is required to lift off
IcedDante

That's after two weeks of H2 training? Amazing! BTW: I hate you and no one likes you.