This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tuck Planche Form

Started by Jon Thornham, November 17, 2015 · 17 Replies · 327 Views

Jon Thornham

About a month ago I posted a video asking about my tuck planche form and it became clear I needed a lot of work.  I've spent the last month working on correcting things and was hoping I could get some feedback on my current tuck planche form and if I should start working towards mastery.

 

Here is the original post and video. 

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/22045-tuck-planche-form/

 

Here is a link to my current tuck planche form.  

 

https://youtu.be/UMygixpf_nk

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Itamar sha'ashuaS

You clearly need more protraction and depression, you lack protraction and depression from the beginning even before your start to lean into the tuck planche.

Joshua Slocum
Itamar sha said:

You clearly need more protraction and depression, you lack protraction and depression from the beginning even before your start to lean into the tuck planche.

This. Protract all the way.

Jon Thornham
Itamar sha said:

You clearly need more protraction and depression, you lack protraction and depression from the beginning even before your start to lean into the tuck planche.

Thanks.  I see it.  Do you have any advice for improving protraction and depression?  I feel like I am doing this but from the video I can see I am not.  

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Jon Thornham
Joshua Slocum said:

This. Protract all the way.

Thanks for the advice.  Is there anything else I can do to practice protraction and depression?

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Mercurium

You should be able to hang with depressed scapulae (active hang) and work on protracting and retracting while in a depressed position to get the feel of it. When you perform a 'plank', you should always protract as well. Practice, practice, practice. Ain't much else to it. I find it easier to protract and depress before I even think about leaning. It should just be part of the set-up. Then it's just a case of lean, hold.

Alessandro Mainente
Mercurial Flow said:

You should be able to hang with depressed scapulae (active hang) and work on protracting and retracting while in a depressed position to get the feel of it. When you perform a 'plank', you should always protract as well. Practice, practice, practice. Ain't much else to it. I find it easier to protract and depress before I even think about leaning. It should just be part of the set-up. Then it's just a case of lean, hold.

Hang activation has not a real carryover with planche activation because it is not specific.

The reason is simply that in the vertical hang position the depression muscles work against force of gravity (that pulls the body vertically down).

On the other side when doing planche the force of gravity pulls the belly down vertically and when you resist the fog you will naturally protract. the difficulty of doing depression during the planche position is that the biggest part of muscles involved in depression must work without a "real" external force because the depression works in a plain that is perpendicular to force of gravity.

This is why for most people there is no chance to activate correctly depression in planche. because it is an activation against no resistance. the sensibility of the nervous system should be specifically trained with progressions over prone horizontal body support position that is exactly what C. Sommer proposed in Foundations PE's.

 

the best thing the body is able to do with muscles is "respond to external forces", a good example is when you use a gripper for hands strength. you can close one handle of the gripper against the other generating 40 kg  . take off the gripper and try to reproduce the same effort. you will fail, ALWAYS.

Sam Andersen

What is meant by scapular depression in relation to the tuck planche?  I understand protraction (the spreading of the shoulder blades), but I don't have a good example of what depression looks or feels like. Is this essentially the opposite of making a "chicken wing" where you try to stick out you shoulder blade?

trw
Sam Andersen said:

What is meant by scapular depression in relation to the tuck planche?  I understand protraction (the spreading of the shoulder blades), but I don't have a good example of what depression looks or feels like. Is this essentially the opposite of making a "chicken wing" where you try to stick out you shoulder blade?

 

No depression is more the opposite of a shrug, or elevation. So push the shoulder blades in the opposite direction of your ears, toward the hips, like squeezing downwards. The combination of protaction and depression is a superior position in planche work and builds more strength.

 

Jon Thornham said:

Thanks.  I see it.  Do you have any advice for improving protraction and depression?  I feel like I am doing this but from the video I can see I am not.  

 

Take care,

 

Jon

 

If you're having trouble executing these cues in this progression than you should return to an earlier one. Protraction and depression are a focus of sPl work from the very start. Best way to tell is to see videos of your form in some of those earlier progressions, like leans. And like others have noted, your cues are off even before you enter the tuck lean. Push into the floor as hard as you can before you try leaning forward, otherwise you set yourself up for failure, which is what's happening. If you can't hold onto that protraction into the lean than you're not strong enough to train tuck yet.

Jon Thornham
trw said:

No depression is more the opposite of a shrug, or elevation. So push the shoulder blades in the opposite direction of your ears, toward the hips, like squeezing downwards. The combination of protaction and depression is a superior position in planche work and builds more strength.

 

 

If you're having trouble executing these cues in this progression than you should return to an earlier one. Protraction and depression are a focus of sPl work from the very start. Best way to tell is to see videos of your form in some of those earlier progressions, like leans. And like others have noted, your cues are off even before you enter the tuck lean. Push into the floor as hard as you can before you try leaning forward, otherwise you set yourself up for failure, which is what's happening. If you can't hold onto that protraction into the lean than you're not strong enough to train tuck yet.

Excellent.  Back to the basics.  I appreciate the help.  

Alessandro Mainente
Sam Andersen said:

What is meant by scapular depression in relation to the tuck planche?  I understand protraction (the spreading of the shoulder blades), but I don't have a good example of what depression looks or feels like. Is this essentially the opposite of making a "chicken wing" where you try to stick out you shoulder blade?

hold you shoulders away from the ears.

Here in Italy to my kids i usually say "the shoulders are poison for the ears"

Jon Thornham

I started on the plank today and started wondering if I was even close.  Am I in the right ballpark?

 

https://youtu.be/VNy8c9xi5z4

Take care,

 

Jon

Mercurium
Alessandro Mainente said:

Hang activation has not a real carryover with planche activation because it is not specific.

The reason is simply that in the vertical hang position the depression muscles work against force of gravity (that pulls the body vertically down).

 

I'm aware that there is no carryover for developing the strength or practicing the form. I think his question literally meant that he doesn't know what it feels like or what it 'is'. A hanging depression drill is a great way to teach people what scapular depression actually 'is'.

Mercurium
Jon Thornham said:

I started on the plank today and started wondering if I was even close.  Am I in the right ballpark?

 

https://youtu.be/VNy8c9xi5z4

Take care,

 

Jon

Your protraction looks good, though you are elevating them slightly rather than depressing, but you're definitely piking your hips. Try pushing your pelvis into the ground while still maintaining posterior pelvic tilt. That gentle groundwards press of the pelvis will force your pelvis into anterior rotation, so stop when there's a balance between the two (while still being in PPT).

Sam Andersen
Alessandro Mainente said:

hold you shoulders away from the ears.

Here in Italy to my kids i usually say "the shoulders are poison for the ears"

Thank you.  

Jon Thornham
Mercurial Flow said:

Your protraction looks good, though you are elevating them slightly rather than depressing, but you're definitely piking your hips. Try pushing your pelvis into the ground while still maintaining posterior pelvic tilt. That gentle groundwards press of the pelvis will force your pelvis into anterior rotation, so stop when there's a balance between the two (while still being in PPT).

I appreciate all of your help and feedback.  It's helped a lot.  

 

I was able to film again tonight.  I tried pushing the hips towards the ground while keeping the protraction.  It feels to me as if the shoulders depressed more as a result of the lower hips.  

 

https://youtu.be/bN2XsSicaZY

 

Jon

Alessandro Mainente

Protraction is more than before, but you need to hold the PTT all the timw with not shaking on the position.

Jon Thornham
Alessandro Mainente said:

Protraction is more than before, but you need to hold the PTT all the timw with not shaking on the position.

I will keep still.  I was moving a bit trying to find a good position.  Now that I am in the right place I will work up to mastery.  Thanks for all of the help.

 

Jon