Tuck Planche Form

Started by Jon Thornham, October 6, 2015 · 7 Replies · 3,737 Views

Jon Thornham

I was hoping someone could look at my tuck planche form.  I know it's not right but I'm struggling to understand why.  

Take care,

 

Jon

Tuck Planche 480.mov

Alessandro Mainente

You are definitely not ready for tuck planche since you can't hold the hips at the necessary height.

Also you are doing a common mistake, you are lifting the feet without proper leaning. the correct motion should be lean until you feel the feet lift from the floor (and the sensation to fall forward) then hold the position.

with your actual  approach you're trying to counterbalance your weight with insufficient lean. basically impossible.

Jon Thornham
Alessandro Mainente said:

You are definitely not ready for tuck planche since you can't hold the hips at the necessary height.

Also you are doing a common mistake, you are lifting the feet without proper leaning. the correct motion should be lean until you feel the feet lift from the floor (and the sensation to fall forward) then hold the position.

with your actual  approach you're trying to counterbalance your weight with insufficient lean. basically impossible.

Thank you for the reply.  Since I can do the advanced frog stand but not the tucked planche, where would you recommend I go from here.  I believe I am not keeping my shoulders depressed so maybe I need to back track and work from there.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Alexander Egebak
Jon Thornham said:

Thank you for the reply.  Since I can do the advanced frog stand but not the tucked planche, where would you recommend I go from here.  I believe I am not keeping my shoulders depressed so maybe I need to back track and work from there.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

How is your planche lean?

Jon Thornham
Alexander Egebak said:

How is your planche lean?

No too good.  I've been looking into my issue and I have realized that I am protracting my shoulders but not depressing.  I am working on fixing this now and have back tracked to a planche lean.  Thanks for the help.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Alexander Egebak
Jon Thornham said:

No too good.  I've been looking into my issue and I have realized that I am protracting my shoulders but not depressing.  I am working on fixing this now and have back tracked to a planche lean.  Thanks for the help.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Planche lean is the most important exercise in terms of achieving the planche. Good thing that you found out about the depression part. Remember to achieve a significant lean before trying the other exercises and always keep planche leans for conditioning work once they are mastered.

Jon Douglas
Jon Thornham said:

No too good. I've been looking into my issue and I have realized that I am protracting my shoulders but not depressing. I am working on fixing this now and have back tracked to a planche lean. Thanks for the help.

Take care,

Jon

It makes a substantial difference even though it doesn't feel like you're doing all that much. For me if I don't get the depression right I can't lean forward far enough to get the strong mid-traps and serratus contraction that is my indicator of a correct rep. Details that you have to consciously hold in place under lower loads, like leans, will become automatic with time and allow you to work heavier, like here, productively :)

palazzolo85
Jon Thornham said:

Thank you for the reply.  Since I can do the advanced frog stand but not the tucked planche, where would you recommend I go from here.  I believe I am not keeping my shoulders depressed so maybe I need to back track and work from there.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Spend some time with your planche leans + planche bounces, they helped me a lot with scapular protraction / depression and I still use them for warm ups.  Don't rush the planche progressions, very strenuous on wrists / shoulder joints.