Should I Continue practice on skills or lose weight first?

Started by Azrogol, November 5, 2015 · 3 Replies · 1,959 Views

Azrogol

Hey guys, quick question. I've been training for about 2 weeks. I'm 195lbs, guesstimating around 15% bf.

Currently, I can hold a handstand against a wall for 45 sec, tuck planche for about 10 sec, advanced front/back levers for about 5 sec, and just started working on L-sit (tuck). I'm not SUPER fat; but then again I could lose around 30lbs or so before I get as lean as I'd like to be. My routine mostly consists of practicing the above skills plus a few dynamics (dips,pull ups etc). Should I keep working on the holds, or should I change my routine to focus on more dynamic movements to promote more fat loss, and get lean before progressing?

Mark Collins

Getting lean will be mostly diet related. Keep training as you are and adjust the diet for body composition changes.

Mercurium

Dynamic versus static holds aren't any more or less geared towards weight loss, as far as I know... The intensity/volume is far more important than whether the exercise is isometric or isokinetic.

Lynngineer

I would start doing some dynamic things at very low intensity to start preparing my connective tissue and joints. I'm 40 and I find the limiting factor on most things is not muscle growth but the tolerance of my ligaments/tendons or flexibility (wrists, in handstands). So if I had a chance to start very light repetitions of an upcoming movement cycle I would. That way once I got into the real cycle my joints would all have experience with the movements and probably have conditioned some in response. (This concept is part of why Foundation One is so excellent; so much mobility and prep.)