This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 + iM form check

Started by TobiasM, October 24, 2015 · 16 Replies · 335 Views

Alessandro Mainente

PE is fine.

IM you need to tilt forward while flexing. you are no leaning forward enough. 

Giyom

The athlete demonstrating HS/PE1>iM has his hands apart just slightly beyond shoulder width.

 

Tobias, in your new video the forward lean is much better, but you managed this by making the distance between your hands much larger.

(I also need the wider hands distance to be able to lean forward more at this moment.)

 

Alessandro or other experienced ones, what's your take on whether this range of motion is sufficient to move on to PE2?

1. Keep at HSPE1 'till the ROM is achieved with hands nearly shoulder width apart, or

2. Move on to PE2 while keep practicing HS/PE1>iM along with other shoulder and hip flexibility stretches/mobility exercises?

 

Thanks! 

Giyom

Tobias, 

 

I read through some iM form checks for this element. 

 

Zack explained it as follows (here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/21606-hs-pe1-im-form-check/):

For this iM, we want to have the torso leaning a little more forward with the arms pulled in line with your torso, with arms/biceps by ears (HS position).

 

The width of the bar should be at the point of NOT BEING ABLE to dislocate, hence placing the load on the traps, while focusing on keeping the ribs pulled down.

 

 

Also check out the post by Jeremy here, including Coach's advice on this element (regarding shoulder dislocation):

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/20191-form-check-on-hspe1-and-pe1-im/

 

Good luck!

TobiasM

Wow, thanks a lot for your feedback, Giyom! It is very much appreciated.

 

I went back and recorded another set with shoulder width, to see how the ROM is.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evv9p-HIV1I

 

Hopfully it's good enough, so I can move on to the next progression. I won't move on until full ROM is achieved in the iM excersise :-)

 

Once again, thanks a lot! Really appreciated your feedback a lot.

Giyom

You're most welcome, Tobias!

Glad to hear you found it helpful. :)

 

I think your last video is the best execution for practicing this iM.

Your ROM seems ok, but I don't think it's sufficient for mastery. (I'm not expert so wait for others to chime in).

My guess would be it can use some more dedicated practice.

The athlete demonstrating leans forward quite a bit more still.

Maybe you can keep practicing this iM if you decide to go to PE2.

It may be helpful to do some shoulder stretches also to speed up the process. Like one of the easier variations of the bridge pose (Chakrasana) or puppy pose  as Jeremy suggested if you can make the time. Will do wonders for the handstand work later on.

 

Puppy pose (Anahatasana)

 

Let's see if others are chiming in to help you out on deciding whether to practice PE2 already..

 

 

Good luck with practice!

TobiasM

Once again, thanks a lot Giyom! Glad to hear my execution is better. Think I'll work a bit more on my ROM and then hopefully I'll be ready to move to the next progression soon :)

Alessandro Mainente
Giyom said:

The athlete demonstrating HS/PE1>iM has his hands apart just slightly beyond shoulder width.

 

Tobias, in your new video the forward lean is much better, but you managed this by making the distance between your hands much larger.

(I also need the wider hands distance to be able to lean forward more at this moment.)

 

Alessandro or other experienced ones, what's your take on whether this range of motion is sufficient to move on to PE2?

1. Keep at HSPE1 'till the ROM is achieved with hands nearly shoulder width apart, or

2. Move on to PE2 while keep practicing HS/PE1>iM along with other shoulder and hip flexibility stretches/mobility exercises?

 

Thanks! 

Definitely the 1) option.

I understand that it is a bit frustrating but i forgot the time i've spent on PE2 IM.

I've only to criticize me and my stupid approach on bodyweigth training before reaching Coach Sommer seminar in the early 2012, my approach is the cause of my failure on the mastery on certain elements.

But....old stories!

Giyom

Thanks for the reply, Alessandro!

 

@Tobias: You're most welcome.. Good luck!

TobiasM

Hi there! Been working quite some time on the iM element latly. Feels like to me I'm getting more forward lean - However, do you guys think I'm good enough for mastery now?

 

 

Thanks in advance!

TobiasM

Went to the gym today, which allowed me to find a bar where I was able to put some weight on. Also narrowed the grip down a little bit. However, I'm kinda getting a bit confussed about what to do with my arms while leaning forward. Seems like to me, I'm pulling my arms back while leaning forward - Should my arms be aligned with hips while leaning forward, or is it okay for me to pull back a little bit like i do in the video?

 

Giyom
TobiasM said:

 

Also narrowed the grip down a little bit. However, I'm kinda getting a bit confussed about what to do with my arms while leaning forward. Seems like to me, I'm pulling my arms back while leaning forward -

 

Hi Tobias, 

 

Congratz on working hard for this iM!

 

Indeed, your arms are leaning back a lot, while your torso leans forward less.

 

If you look at the course video, the athlete starts sitting straight with arms extended over his shoulders (hips, shoulders and wrists in one line at this stage). Then he leans forward without pulling the bar much behind. The bar comes behind his hips mostly from the forward lean, less from pulling back with the hands.

On your video the bar gets pulled back more from extending the arms back than from leaning forward compared to the athlete.

 

So, my advice would be:

Try to focus on leaning forward more now (rather than emphasizing the pulling back with the hands).

 

Note: It might be your hips more than your shoulders that need to be opened up to achieve this.

To find out if t this is the case, you could do the forward lean without elevated arms. If you cannot lean forward more with your hands on your knees, you would need to work on hip flexibility to improve your ROM this iM. If you can lean forward more when keeping your hands down, then it's shoulder flexibility that needs improvement most.

(Not sure if this is true, so take it as an experiment with a grain of salt)

TobiasM

Thanks a lot guys! Really helpful feedback.I'll be back in the gym soon, and try to focus on the points mentioned in this topic.

 

Still got a lot of work to do with this element, but hopfully I'll get it one day. Being really frustrated about my shoulders these days. This iM element plus trying to achieve full range of motion in the scapular is really giving me a hard time.

TobiasM

Was back at it again today. Hopfully I did better this time :-)

 

Giyom

Great progress since first video, in just 2 weeks!

Your form looks very good to me between sec 9 and sec 14.

Make sure to count seconds from the time of being in the right position. In the last video it's 5/6 secs (from sec 8 'till sec 14). If you hold this one for for 10 sec I think you'll be pretty good for mastery, but wait for confirmation of the mods/Zach..

TobiasM

Thanks a lot, Giyom!

 

I'll keep working a bit on "time under tension" and then hopfully ready to move on soon :-)