Hello,
Are there any suggestions for what to do for SL4-6 if we do not have a partner to hold our feet. Is skipping to SL7 a reasonable choice?
Thanks,
Eddie Ball
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by GymBud23, October 19, 2015 · 8 Replies · 376 Views
Hello,
Are there any suggestions for what to do for SL4-6 if we do not have a partner to hold our feet. Is skipping to SL7 a reasonable choice?
Thanks,
Eddie Ball
If you live in the US, the back strap in the GB store is made for this. You might be able to improvise/build something similar, or something to hold your feet down while on some high bench.
And mainstream gyms usually have a stand specifically for these exercises, so if you have a membership or can consider getting one, that would also solve the problem.
I've been struggling with this too, actually. Some options I've found:
1. Ring strap around a picnic table to hold your feet.
2. The Back Strap on the gear page. I think it would work like a TRX over a door, or maybe hooked to a fence.
3. Just today at the park I noticed a railing right next to a waist-high bar that, if padded, will suffice for arch-ups.
None of these are perfect options, but you'll have a hard time skipping stuff. Skipping steps leads to plateaus and frustration and injuries, while failing to address certain weaknesses and imbalances that will cause more problems later.
Lots of options. Personally I use two plyo boxes with the rear anchored down with weights. Even laying flat on the floor and arching up with feet pinned down is better than nothing. These are super important to not skip.
I train at home and for these I lay on a table and anchor my feet with one strap from my ring set. Easy peasy, super effective. Just put a pillow on the edge of the table if you don't want to become an eunuch ![]()
Terrible idea to skip those exercises!
They develop basic back strength (especially lower back) which is very important in the following exercises. You'd better master them the best you can so you will avoid unnecessary frustration with plateaus and injuries later on. Eventually you will want to keep them in your routine forever I guess.
I was in your situation so here's what I did: took one rings strap and wraped it around the further-most side of paralel bars really tight, took another strap and wraped it around tight as well where my ankles are supposed to be. And here you have it, the most basic, yet extremelly effective tool to develop your (lower) back strength.
You can see how it works here. This is my arch ups form check with various attempts. Look at the last video to see how this set up is working.
Good luck!
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:Terrible idea to skip those exercises!
They develop basic back strength (especially lower back) which is very important in the following exercises. You'd better master them the best you can so you will avoid unnecessary frustration with plateaus and injuries later on. Eventually you will want to keep them in your routine forever I guess.
I was in your situation so here's what I did: took one rings strap and wraped it around the further-most side of paralel bars really tight, took another strap and wraped it around tight as well where my ankles are supposed to be. And here you have it, the most basic, yet extremelly effective tool to develop your (lower) back strength.
You can see how it works here. This is my arch ups form check with various attempts. Look at the last video to see how this set up is working.
Good luck!
I like your setup, but I feel I'd have to bring some serious padding to the park were I to use the parallel bars. I've got an exercise mat (thicker and stretchier than a yoga mat) that I might start bringing. I've also got some padded forearm/shin guards... hmmm...
A towel/sweater suffice for this purpose.
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will re-evaluate and find something that works. With everyone's input I'm sure I can make something work!
Thanks again