My introduction

Started by Guest, September 14, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,467 Views

Guest

I've been looking around the site and there is endless information and advice here, like a library of how to become fit. :D

I never did that much gymnastics growing up a little gymnastics in elementary, I learned the basics, a cartwheel, handstand, forward roll, stuff like that but never went onto a actual team do to money reasons and personal reasons. When i turned 17 i received the opportunity to volunteer at the YMCA in the gymnastics section, and by doing this i was able to join the adult class which was two hours a week, two times a week. i learned a lot, i learned how to do backhandsprings, front tucks, and was working on front fulls. About a month or two went by from when i started and one of the gymnasts moms came up to me and asked "so when are you going to join team" i kind of laughed and then realized she was serious. At first i just thought i was too old but i didn't care, i had the opportunity to be on the team and was stoked. I took a job teaching beginners and with that i was able to train for free. They put me in with the level eight boys. Over the course of a year i had learned so much and dedicated so much time, i had round off backhandspring back fulls on floor, front fulls on floor, punch front tuck front sumi on floor. I had a routine (minimum) for each event except pommel horse and high bar. I also won state on PB's in my age and level group. I accomplished so much in only one year. (haha when i first started i was barely able to do a pull up)

When i turned eighteen i was to old to compete and was planning on going to UW to continue gymnastics but i didn't have the money nor did i want to be in debt. One of the coaches came and talked to me and said that all i needed to do was be in A college and that i could receive a scholarship for gymnastics. Still i wasn't able to, so i got into Parkour and Free Running which i love very much, and have found a passion for. However I believe gymnastics is a base for everything that demands anything dealing with movement of the entire body. Gymnastics helps with so much and is such a beautiful sport. About 6 months went by and i decided to join the army to make some money and get the opportunity for college and on the way build myself to be stronger at parkour and at gymnastics. I will be 23 when i get out and i want to train very hard during my time in service so that when i get out i will be ready for gymnastics again. I know i'm to old to become anything great, but i love movement and gymnastics so much that i don't think i could stop. Both Parkour and gymnastics go hand in hand for me.

i would also like to thank Coach Sommer for his book. I was highly motivated after i had read it, and helped me understand a lot of what i did in my year of gymnastics. i think if i knew what he explained in his book then i would have progressed even more.

I have a youtube account, http://www.youtube.com/user/telims01 if you would like to see a bit of what i do.

I think i'm going to learn a lot from this forum and i look forward to chatting with everyone :D

Cheers

-Aaron

Felipe

Stop complaining about age! You are strong, and you will become stronger!

Rember the example of coach Sakamoto, who can do 75 HSPU at 60+.

Maybe you will not learn a double-double in your life. But this doesn't preclude you to train everyday and became better. Progress is the key in life.

Blairbob

TELIMS, though it is different I will say, you probably could compete under NAIGC if you found a collegiate club or as anon. There are some adult meets around the states as well.