I did some research on tissue work and stretching is recommended straight after. I usually do 2 sets of a few stretches before and after a foundation session...But when should I do self tissue release work-before or after a F session?
Thanks ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by HB_Ron, October 7, 2015 · 3 Replies · 275 Views
I did some research on tissue work and stretching is recommended straight after. I usually do 2 sets of a few stretches before and after a foundation session...But when should I do self tissue release work-before or after a F session?
Thanks ![]()
HB_Ron said:I did some research on tissue work and stretching is recommended straight after. I usually do 2 sets of a few stretches before and after a foundation session...But when should I do self tissue release work-before or after a F session?
Thanks
It depends on the intent.
Massage before a workout generally need to be stimulating in nature and prime the nervous system.
Massage post workout should be inhibiting and occur 2-2.5 hours after you finish the workout. Rather than release techniques, you should use kneading on the muscles and fiction on the tendons.
Tissue release usually is done incorrectly and has specific purposes and applications. Far better results comes from self kneading and friction.
Cory Fair said:It depends on the intent.
Massage before a workout generally need to be stimulating in nature and prime the nervous system.
Massage post workout should be inhibiting and occur 2-2.5 hours after you finish the workout. Rather than release techniques, you should use kneading on the muscles and fiction on the tendons.
Tissue release usually is done incorrectly and has specific purposes and applications. Far better results comes from self kneading and friction.
-I didn't really understand that sentence. Could you please explain in other words?
-Sorry for my ignorance-what's kneading on muscles and friction on tendons?
I read Kelly Starrett book-Supple Leopard. I understood that the approach for restoring ROM is Tissue work->Stretching->Reactivation I'd be happy to know your opinion if I applied this correctly for the:
1) Glutes- 5 min each side smash&move+Contract Relax(like PNF) using lacrosse ball + 2 min pigeon stretch variation for each side (with a band)
2) Quads- 10 min barbell smash in each leg (before SLS) + 2 min Banded hip extension(couch stretch after workout)
3)Psoas - I noticed 2 minutes improved dramatically the ROM in MN/PE1![]()
My intentions are to achieve a front split and sitting long on the ground with a straight back so hopefully Massaging and stretching the hip flexors and glutes will help.
P.s I didn't reply back to your comment sooner because I wanted to research a bit more before writing something stupid
No need to worry, you won't sound stupid. Stimulating the nervous system is like letting your car run for a few minutes on a freezing day before driving anywhere.
You can Google massage friction and kneading for a number of demonstrations, the techniques are straightforward. Kneading is like kneading dough and done on the muscles. Friction is like lightly scrubbing a dish with a sponge and done on the tendons. The kneading and friction would replace the above routine. It's not necessarily to worry about bands and balls since effective recovery can be done better with much simpler means. Less than 15 minutes a week can make a night and day difference in recovery.
So ~2-2.5 hours post workout:
1) Knead and friction on the muscles/tendons worked
2) PIR Stretch instead of bands. This means passively stretch the muscle to the first sensation of resistance (this comes way before your maximum stretch), do an isometric hold for 2-3 seconds then repeat to the next sensation of resistance. Restorative stretching is gentle and never to increase ROM. You have the Stretch Series for developing that.
I've not used that psoas release but I am very hesitant to put direct pressure with a weight anywhere near internal organs. Mark Collins has an excellent version I prefer:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/21739-psoas-hip-flexor-release/?p=194549