basic strength + endurance simultaneously?

Started by Pranaman, September 13, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,883 Views

Pranaman

First off, this is a great place with awesome information.

I'm glad to be here.

Anyway, my question is:

I have a sport specific goal of being able to do 100 consecutive push ups for speed as well as 25 pull ups. Right now I'm at about 60 push ups and 10 pull ups.

Is there any reason I can't train the planche, front lever, back lever, l-sit, middle split hold etc while training for push up and pull up endurance?

I seem to be making progress in both the static holds and endurance work, but I was told that this is an unintelligent way to train because you can't optimize endurance and strength simultaneously. I haven't stopped training because for now I'm seeing results, but I thought I might as well come ask the experts.

braindx

You can't optimize both at the same time.

However, you can get decent gains in each especially if you're a novice/intermediate level strength.

It would probably be best to develop your pushups and pullups as quickly as possible with something along the lines of grease the groove (with a couple strength days here and there) then once you reach your goal maintain with 1-2 endurance sets per week while focusing solely on strength after that.

JL
Pranaman said:
First off, this is a great place with awesome information.

I'm glad to be here.

Anyway, my question is:

I have a sport specific goal of being able to do 100 consecutive push ups for speed as well as 25 pull ups. Right now I'm at about 60 push ups and 10 pull ups.

Is there any reason I can't train the planche, front lever, back lever, l-sit, middle split hold etc while training for push up and pull up endurance?

I seem to be making progress in both the static holds and endurance work, but I was told that this is an unintelligent way to train because you can't optimize endurance and strength simultaneously. I haven't stopped training because for now I'm seeing results, but I thought I might as well come ask the experts.

I'm not the expert, but I believe you should be able to get the 25 pullups training pure strength. The 100 pushups, I don't know. However, coach Sommers said he had a friend who was a ring man and could do 100 dips. Now, I assume he could do all of the strength elements you describe, and since dips tend to be harder than pushups, I assume it can be done I read that there is a genetic mechanism that gets turned on for hypertrophy when doing work in the strength range of resistance, but gets inhibited when working in the endurance range. So doing endurance kind of flips the switch off, in a way.
Pranaman
braindx said:

It would probably be best to develop your pushups and pullups as quickly as possible with something along the lines of grease the groove (with a couple strength days here and there) then once you reach your goal maintain with 1-2 endurance sets per week while focusing solely on strength after that.

Cool, this is exactly what I've been doing.

for example:(pushups)

mon: GTG sets of 25, around over 5-10 sets throughout day

tues: 4 sets of 25 w/ 30 secs rest and form variations (medicine ball, diamond, finger tip)

wed: strength a la gymnastics

thurs: fingertip pushup pyramid

fri: 4 sets of 25 w/ 30 secs rest + variations

sat: GTG

etc.. etc..

Felipe

Strength translates in endurance, howerever the contrary is not true.

Do separate workout, 2x strength and 2x endurance. And don't exaggerate on the latter.