Hey everyone,
I've been reading these forums for a while but have never posted ... until today! So I am a weightlifter; for those who might be unaware this means that I compete in the snatch and the clean and jerk. I did some gymnastics as a child, but not at a high level, and taking a gymnastics physical activity class as a part of my kinesiology degree has reminded me how incredibly fun it is. I'm looking to start adding Gymnastic Strength Training™ into my training to hopefully complement my weightlifting, from the perspective of shoulder stability, core and connective tissue strength, and flexibility. I would love to divide my attention equally and develop all of my gymnastic skills, however as a full time student working part time who is heavily involved in sport already my training time is rather limited.
For those of you here that are much more knowledgeable about GST than I, what gymnastic exercises do you think might give me the most "bang for my buck" in terms of accomplishing the goals I outlined above (shoulder stability, connective tissue strength, etc.)?
I see videos of Chinese weightlifters doing a ton handstand pushups and logic alone would tell me that developing a great handstand would have obvious benefits.
As for my level of conditioning and familiarity with gymnastic movements, I am currently able to perform:
- a non-arched back handstand for around 45-60 seconds
- several freestanding handstand pushups (rather inconsistent with balance!)
- 1 to 2 strict muscle-ups
- bent-arm press to handstand on parallettes
- I am reasonably flexible, I can still do the front and side splits.
- I am incredibly weak and inexperienced on the rings, I struggled considerably today with just the support position.
Sorry for the novel of a post ... and thanks in advance for any advice anyone has to offer!