This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need help with PE4 and PE5 please

Started by Vytautas Pilkauskas, September 25, 2015 · 2 Replies · 93 Views

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello guys,

 

I am struggling to clear up my PE5 form, therefore I'm not moving anywhere from 3x6 s or 5x6 target. I am nowhere near to the form in the course video. That's why I mentioned PE4 in title, because I started to think I did something wrong there.

 

In PE5 I lay on the floor, try to keep my chin and upper chest on the ground as told in the focus points. More than that, before lifting the bar I elevate scapula as much as I can and lift the bar. I noticed I need some lats help to do that because I can't figure out how to protract.

 

Should I keep ribs pulled down here as well as in PE4?
Should I externally rotate my upper arms when I lift the bar off the ground? If so, I experience pain in posterior deltoid which goes away after I finish the set but comes back when I extend the arm before attempting another set but never bothers me again after I'm done with the training.

 

I will now re-address all other previous iMs as I have read here that scapula position in iMs is equally important as in strength elements (sadly it happened after a great amount of time with HS) and will focus on fixing them if anything will appear to be wrong. Can this be the case of all the struggles with PE5 (and potentially with PE4)?

 

I uploaded three videos: the first is my usual attempt with PE5 using 5,5 lbs bar, second is PE5 but with 2,2 lbs bar and the third one is PE4 using 7,7 lbs bar (I forgot to enter it from the beginning but this is how I held it).

 

A small victory is a free HS in the picture below which I tried hoping to crush into the wall with heels and back but that didn't happen :D I didn't even try to do a free HS for more than one year until today and (un)surprisingly it feels much stronger and comfortable than ever before. I thought that my HS can reveal something more on what could/should I work, especially with shoulders?

 

 

HS PE5 with 5,5 lbs bar

 

HS PE5 with 2,2 lbs bar (moving around to decide where is shoulder height)

 

HS PE4 with 7,7 lbs bar

 

Thank you very much for your time.
 

V.

post-12272-0-88439100-1443206826_thumb.j

Alessandro Mainente

In therms of range of movement the bar is at the correct height. Focus on stability hold so do not move the bar up and down.

For your question:

-it is considered a flexion. exactly like the PE1 and PE3 if you externally rotate you are taking off some fexion work, I understand you since if you grab the bar it is easy to externally rotate. if you want to be sure that you are only doing flexion you can put the bar on the wrists and extend the fingers to the ceiling (in this way the bar cannot roll forward).

-you an move the chin more forward like if you want to put the inner neck flat on floor, this will move the shoulders closer to the floor.

-remember that protraction it's harder when there is elevation and it partially comes naturally since the elevation is assisted from serratus anterior.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

This is amazing.

 

I revisited all of the previous iMs and I didn't find any major errors there, strictly following guidelines provided in the topic I linked to, just some exercises got harder since I didn't do them on a regular basis but started implementing them in a warm up and cool down since yesterday, however your comments made it much clearer.

 

Thank you a ton!