Soreness and next training

Started by Giyom, September 25, 2015 · 5 Replies · 2,222 Views

Giyom

Hi all, 

 

Not sure if this is individual or there is general advice that can be taken into account. In case the latter applies, looking forward for your more experienced advice.

 

 

Is it optimal to start a new training when still sore from the previous training for

- muscle soreness from strength training

- soreness from stretching

or would it be advisable to wait 'till the (muscle/stretching) soreness is gone before training the same type of training?

 

If muscles are sore from strength training, does it make sense to do a flexibility training on the same muscle groups the next day or would you suggest to focus on other muscle groups? 

 

Note: The soreness I'm experiencing at the moment is from strength training 2 days ago and is felt in the shoulders from doing a higher volume of push ups after my first GST hand stand 1 training, but the question is general for next trainings to take into account. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Freeflyer

If I never trained when sore I would never make progress.  Soreness is normal.  Unless it is pain, then don't train through that.  But there is nothing wrong with training while sore.

Joshua Slocum

Train right through soreness from strength training, but be aware of how your body is feeling. If the soreness builds up over time, you might be over-working yourself. And if you're particularly sore you might need a bit more warmup than usual. 

 

If you're still sore from a previous stretching session, don't do another heavy stretching session just yet - I find [for me at least] it's usually not productive and makes me more likely to tweak something. 

Giyom

Thank you Freeflyer and Joshua for your very clear and helpful replies.

 

Thank you Coach for letting us know replies are good  :)

 

On to training!

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I think it depends on the individual. In my case training through soreness has led me to end up, as Joshua mentioned, overworking myself. My rule of thumb though is that you should never go more than three days without training. Case in point, yesterday I did foundations and TBs. I am now thoroughly sore in my traps, shoulders and arms. Today I am not training. Tomorrow I will train. Sunday, I may be sore (we'll see). But come Monday I will be back at it. This is just for me, some people can go at it the very next day. It's individual, but don't give yourself so much of a rest that you degress. You know your body best, so long as you listen. Even Coach has mentioned his athlete Allan taking Tuesdays and Thursdays off for recovery. You get better when you recover, but if you've recovered and still think you're 'sore' then you're just being idle and aren't doing your progress any good. 

Giyom

Thank you Daniel for taking the time to share your experience and Allan's example. 

Taking over your rule of thumb..