Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Achievements and thank you after one year of GB training

Luzian Scherrer

Luzian Scherrer

I've started F1 and H1 exactly one year ago and SS in February. My background is some endurance training (cycling, running) and about two years of P90X like fitness programs. I've never been an athletic guy and I certainly do not have any genetic advantage. I'm currently 40 years old.

I'm doing a 3-day Fa/Fb and 2-day H1 split with 3 SS sessions per week. After the GB training I'm often throwing in some playing around (freestanding handstand, some barbell work, pull-ups, etc.) if I have energy left. I can honestly say that I've never missed a training session since starting and I've put my full effort and attention into each single one.

So here's my current status:
- Foundation: SL/PE7, MN/PE6, SLS/SE5, FL/PE9, SPL/SE1, HPB/PE5, RC/PE4
- Handstand: WP/SE4, FKP/SE4, WR/SE4, FTP/SE4, HS/PE10

My most noteworthy achievements beside the progressions:
- 5 reps full single leg squats with each leg
- 3 reps of strict muscle-ups on the rings
- pancake stretch went from not being able to bend forward at all to comfortably having elbows on the ground
- standing pike stretch went from fists on the ground to hands flat on the ground
- bridge went from not being able to press up at all to one minute hold and 10 bridge push-ups

And the biggest thing for me personally: just as of today I've reached a 60 seconds freestanding handstand for the first time in my life and I even filmed it :)

Besides those things I became pretty lean, ripped and got a sixpack - it's called Gymnastic Bodies after all :) But this obviously also has a lot to do with my very strict diet.

I want to give a big thank you to Coach Sommer and his team for putting together and making available a program that has kept me motivated and progressing for a whole year! And also a big thank you to this community and all the great information that is floating through the forums day by day. I'm definitely up for another year...
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 40

Hi Luzian,

What a great post to be reading whilst eating my breakfast :-D

You have approached the programme brilliantly and your consistency has given you the results! Great work man!

I believe that first year is the most difficult, getting over that initial inertia, but now you have a body and mind ready for more.

I'm almost 38 and the programme has done wonders for me also. Like you say a nutritious diet is another key to building great health.

Congratulations on what you have acgieved so far and best wiahes for what is to come!

Wes

• Upvote 2

Great to heat that!

I'm 14 years old and doing the courses for more than a year.

I've achived an L sit, 10 sec almost straight freestanding handstand, front split, very nice pancake , bridge and middle split.

I have the ability to do things that not everyone around me can do, sometimes. I feel like superman haha!

It's real fun!

• Upvote 4

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Jeez. That type of progress tells me either he's gifted or I've been doing something wrong. Congratulations, man.

• Upvote 3

I've started F1 and H1 exactly one year ago and SS in February. My background is some endurance training (cycling, running) and about two years of P90X like fitness programs. I've never been an athletic guy and I certainly do not have any genetic advantage. I'm currently 40 years old.

I'm doing a 3-day Fa/Fb and 2-day H1 split with 3 SS sessions per week. After the GB training I'm often throwing in some playing around (freestanding handstand, some barbell work, pull-ups, etc.) if I have energy left. I can honestly say that I've never missed a training session since starting and I've put my full effort and attention into each single one.

Congratulations. To me, more so than your rapid progress has been your determination to not miss a workout.  

As most of us here know, that's a lot easier said than done. So well done!

• Upvote 1

Luzian Scherrer

Thanks! I guess that's the part where I am gifted. The progress (which I'm very happy with but I'm not considering it exceptional) is just a result of that. 

Congratulations. To me, more so than your rapid progress has been your determination to not miss a workout.  

As most of us here know, that's a lot easier said than done. So well done!

• 2 months later...
Marco Rodriguez

I assumed he meant the stretch programs

I think you're right. This makes much more sense. I need to get more familiar with the GB nomenclature.

Timothy Mukasa

Hi Luzian

This is a great post and congrats! I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) My problem is time, so just wondering how you manage to fit the various workouts into your life?

2) How did you find the Stretch Series - is worth the investment?

Thanks in advance

Marios Roussos

Besides those things I became pretty lean, ripped and got a sixpack - it's called Gymnastic Bodies after all :) But this obviously also has a lot to do with my very strict diet.

So don't leave us hanging... Tell us a little about the strict diet. :) 

Luzian Scherrer

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to keep it realistic: I'm no beast at all. It's just slow and fair progress for a heavy amount of effort.

I'll try to answer the three open questions:

Time-Management

I think it's all about priorities. To me my training currently has a very high priority in life, and when something has a high priority, you will find time. I got myself some equipment and I train at home. I get up before 6am and start training right away (fasted, with BCAA) so it's already done at around 7am. Then I alternate between the stretch series and some cardio training in the evenings after dinner. That makes it about 2 hours of total training per day, very doable even with a busy schedule.

Stretch series

Are they  worth it? Yes, absolutly! To me personally this is the first time ever that I have been following a stretching program consistently over a longer period of time. Stretching was always the part that I didn't like but during this last half year I kinda became fond of it.

Diet

Currently I'm eating a 50%c/30%p/20%f ratio at maintenance kcal with an occasional cheat meal every one to two weeks. I've made myself a classic 6-meals a day plan that is easy to prepare and that includes as many superfoods as possible. I'm eating the exact same meals day in day out. Doing so certainly doesn't fit anybody but I personally like it. If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share and discuss the meal plan.

Handstand

My handstand is far from being very good. I can sometimes hold it for 60s and sometimes I need 3 kick-up attempts to hold a 20s one. But I "play" a little freestanding handstand after every training session. My "serious" level is HS/PE12.

• Upvote 7

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to keep it realistic: I'm no beast at all. It's just slow and fair progress for a heavy amount of effort.

Time-Management

I think it's all about priorities. To me my training currently has a very high priority in life, and when something has a high priority, you will find time. I got myself some equipment and I train at home. I get up before 6am and start training right away (fasted, with BCAA) so it's already done at around 7am. Then I alternate between the stretch series and some cardio training in the evenings after dinner. That makes it about 2 hours of total training per day, very doable even with a busy schedule.

Stretch series

Are they  worth it? Yes, absolutly! To me personally this is the first time ever that I have been following a stretching program consistently over a longer period of time. Stretching was always the part that I didn't like but during this last half year I kinda became fond of it.

Diet

Currently I'm eating a 50%c/30%p/20%f ratio at maintenance kcal with an occasional cheat meal every one to two weeks. I've made myself a classic 6-meals a day plan that is easy to prepare and that includes as many superfoods as possible. I'm eating the exact same meals day in day out. Doing so certainly doesn't fit anybody but I personally like it. If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share and discuss the meal plan.

Handstand

My handstand is far from being very good. I can sometimes hold it for 60s and sometimes I need 3 kick-up attempts to hold a 20s one. But I "play" a little freestanding handstand after every training session. My "serious" level is HS/PE12.

The stretch series are phenomenal, and in my eyes potentially give the quickest payoff in the scheme of the GB programming. I got my hands flat on the floor behind my legs today while doing FSs. The single-leg vertical pike is one bad mother ---, I definitely echo your sentiments. My progress hasn't been too the same extent, but I also haven't been as consistent (thank you grad school), nonetheless progress is being made.

• Upvote 1

... The single-leg vertical pike is one bad mother --- ...

Thanks.  I am particularly fond of that one.   :icon_twisted:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Me too. I realize that by doing it less intensely (with my straight leg at angle to, and not directly against, the wall), I can put more weight on my vertical leg and less, if any, weight on my hands. Allows me to get deeper and really feel the upper hamstring. Anatomically speaking, my guess is that by loosening up that area of glute/hamstring cross-over my pancake and straddle tuck (MN/PE2) will get much better. I'm looking forward to that as a hopeful Christmas present haha.

Timothy Mukasa

Time-Management

Stretch series

Thanks definitely agree on the prioriisation. I'm the same ref stretching, because I'm so tight in the legs, hips and glues, I've always disliked stretching as its challenging and painful when you're as stiff as cardboard. But I guess should tackle it head on! I have also found GB to be fantastic, although I've been out for a few months with an injury.

• Upvote 1

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

These are wonderful.I have gotten the 'best' stretch when I suck it up and keep my hands off the floor entirely. Lovely feeling.

• Upvote 2

Time-Management

Inspirational.  I have a similar schedule, and it can be difficult to stay motivated.  Thank you for this.

Geoffrey Wielingen

b]Diet

Congratulations on the progress! Reading about it has strengthened my resolve to train harder and more consistently! In the context of time management, I am also curious about your meal plan. At the moment I only eat eggs, nuts and apples during the day and have a normal meal in the evening. Have been doing this for a few weeks and overall I have been a lot less hungry than I expected. I cannot imagine however that this is a good diet, this I am looking for some inspiration to spice it up.

Good work. Seeing you make faster progress, Luzian, has me thinking I should try harder. If this was a race or a competition, I would start to worry about falling behind your pace. 

I could compare it to running wild with a herd, and struggling to avoid being the weak one that gets picked off and eaten by a predator. 

Fortunately.  It isn't. 

• Upvote 1

Luzian Scherrer

So here's my diet:

Pre morning workout

• BCAA

During Workout

• Water with squeezed lemon and himalayan salt

Breakfast

• Scrambled eggs with turmeric, black pepper, Frank's RedHot
  • Oatmeal with skim milk, water, cut apple, ceylon cinnamon and creatine
  • tbsp. molasses

Mid-morning snack

• Mango with skin

Lunch

• Chicken, whole rice and quinoa, vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots), black pepper, himalayan salt

Mid-afternoon snack

• Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds and blueberries

Dinner

• Salmon, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, avocado, raw sauerkraut, black pepper, himalayan salt, oregano

Post evening workout

• Natural whey protein with skim milk, water and peanut oil

Pre bed snack

• Low fat curd cheese with chia seeds

Drinking during the day

• Water
  • Green and oolong tea
  • 2 black coffees

Cheat meal

• Every one to two weeks one big meal to boost metabolism; to me that means clean and healthy stuff, but in vast quantities :)

I've tried to have everything important included in this diet. As written before I've adjusted the quantities to be 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat and the sum of calories to 3000 kcal in my case (my maintenance estimation).

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions on this plan - good, bad, what's missing, etc.?

• Upvote 6