This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Calf raises progression

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, September 11, 2015 · 29 Replies · 1,208 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

After 6 months on the routine I've got to a point where I can easily handle the 60 reps of the 3 variations of calf raises maintain full ROM all the way through. How should I progress? Should I increase reps or maybe do the same calf raises protocol on another day so that I do it twice a week?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Freeflyer

Try and do one legged calf raises.  They're a whole different ball game, but my calves have grown a ton since I stated doing them.

MT Nordic

I agree w/ freeflyer.  Also could do them through a greater range of motion, i.e. off a step.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try them one legged next session!

Wolf with one Ear

Since the calf raises are preludes to the stretching, I stick to the prescribed number and form for the FSpl series, even though I can do 3 sets of 60 readily.  I save calf conditioning and strengthening for other workouts, i.e. one legged raises, raises with squats, explosive raises, greater ROM raises.  

Freeflyer

I agree with wolf here.  The one-legged ones should probably done as strength training.  But if you feel the normal one aren't warming you up enough, do them from a deficit.  Start small, like a text book.  The extra ROM can be surprisingly taxing.

Edoardo Cagnola

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll start by simply adding some one legged raises after my SLS. Thanks!

Coach Sommer

Once 60r is comfortable, try going up to 90r for a few months.  Then go up to 120r for a few months.  Then finally go up to 150r.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks for the information Coach! Now I understand where Orench's huge calves come from

Nick Roy

My calves feel sore reading this.
 

Sensei JP

Before I try upping the calf raises, will I experience the same DOMS as the first time I tried 60r?  I was hobbling for a week after my first calf experience, and I'm not eager to re-experience that.

Nick Roy

If you're worried you can just up the reps by 10 each week to see how you feel. Pause at 90 until that's easy, then progress that way. Calves are endurance based

Coach Sommer
Sensei JP said:

Before I try upping the calf raises, will I experience the same DOMS as the first time I tried 60r?  I was hobbling for a week after my first calf experience, and I'm not eager to re-experience that.

 

Probably.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wolf with one Ear

Whoops, looks like I need to get with it.  

Stephen Majerle

Of course I read this yesterday before I did my FS workout so I had to try 90 reps. It actually did not feel much harder and no soreness today. Guess I have 120 reps to look forward to soon.

KSTL

.

-MR
Edoardo Cagnola said:

Thanks for the information Coach! Now I understand where Orench's huge calves come from

Just to add some background now that Coach has let the cat out of the bag: at the Cornwall seminar last year, he told us that a Russian gymnastics coach had once told him that the secret to developing indestructible achilles tendons was having his athletes do a total of 500 reps in a row. Coach settled for 150 reps of each variation for a "close enough" total of 450 reps with no rest in between variations. Apparently he made all his athletes do this, and credits it with their low rate of achilles injuries which are usually quite common among gymnasts. 

 

I typically do the series at the end of my foundation work. Just be careful about upping the volume too quickly as it can lead to injury (as it did in my case). The whole point is to make one resistant to injury rather than to get injured :)

DonGray

This post is GOLD!

Sensei JP
-MR said:

Just to add some background now that Coach has let the cat out of the bag: at the Cornwall seminar last year, he told us that a Russian gymnastics coach had once told him that the secret to developing indestructible achilles tendons was having his athletes do a total of 500 reps in a row. Coach settled for 150 reps of each variation for a "close enough" total of 450 reps with no rest in between variations. Apparently he made all his athletes do this, and credits it with their low rate of achilles injuries which are usually quite common among gymnasts. 

 

I typically do the series at the end of my foundation work. Just be careful about upping the volume too quickly as it can lead to injury (as it did in my case). The whole point is to make one resistant to injury rather than to get injured :)

Thanks for this.  As a followup question, what's the frequency of this calf/achilles work?  Once a week?  Once a workout?  Every other workout?  Warmup, cooldown, or its own separate element?

-MR
Sensei JP said:

Thanks for this.  As a followup question, what's the frequency of this calf/achilles work?  Once a week?  Once a workout?  Every other workout?  Warmup, cooldown, or its own separate element?

Hi Sensei, unfortunately we didn't get into any programming details during the seminar. 

 

I personally do them three times a week after my Foundation work. I originally went at it with a little bit too much zeal and ended up getting achilles tendonitis. After speaking with Coach and Mark, I took some time off and started over at a volume way below my max and progressed slowly therafter. Things have gone well since then and I'm now way beyond where I was when I got injured.

Bro'

Don't know what he had his athletes do, but at the Stroud seminar, he told us basically the same story, and when asked that question, he replied once a week is sufficient for now. So do that during your FS day, just politely ask Orench to count more than 60 reps.  :lol:

Edoardo Cagnola

Just a little motivational story (I guess). This summer I went hiking quite a lot and a couple of times happened that I misplaced my foot. Ankle strain? Nope. Every time I just kept on walking like nothing happened, and I was just doing the prescribed 60 reps once a week! Excited to see what 90 reps (and eventually 150) will do for my calves and ankles!

Cole Dano

I have a couple of students who are avid mountaineers, they often come back from a trip to report they were the only members in the group not to have had ankle strains etc. 

Edoardo Cagnola

Oh, and by the way, my calves have grown about 2 inches (5cm) bigger :)

Coach Sommer
-MR said:

Just to add some background now that Coach has let the cat out of the bag: at the Cornwall seminar last year, he told us that a Russian gymnastics coach had once told him that the secret to developing indestructible achilles tendons was having his athletes do a total of 500 reps in a row. Coach settled for 150 reps of each variation for a "close enough" total of 450 reps with no rest in between variations. Apparently he made all his athletes do this, and credits it with their low rate of achilles injuries which are usually quite common among gymnasts.

I typically do the series at the end of my foundation work. Just be careful about upping the volume too quickly as it can lead to injury (as it did in my case). The whole point is to make one resistant to injury rather than to get injured :)

- It was a Bulgarian Olympic Coach. ;)

- Didn't really settle. Ruman recommended approx 500 total in three sets for the three variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer