Question about volume

Started by robotstrong, September 8, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,449 Views

robotstrong

Hello everyone,

I have read about Ido cutting volume every 2-5 workouts, but I've also heard Pavel discuss cutting volume in half every 4th week. Would this volume reduction pertain to a cycle that is not Steady State? In other words, does Steady State inherently take care of "volume reduction" by simply keeping all of the sets/reps/weight the same throughout its cycle? I am assuming these voluntary volume reductions are for training cycles that are not of the steady state variety?

Also, over time as one gets stronger through BtGb training, is it necessary to up volume? I understand that Coach recommends 3X3-5 for work sets, but as one completes numerous steady state cycles would it be beneficial to up the volume to 4X3-5, or even 5X3-5 for a new steady state cycle? In the Killroy70 workout, he is working with sets of 6, which is considerably more volume than sets of 3. I guess I am trying to reconcile how much volume to use when working working at fairly high intensities after a fair amount of time of BtGb training.

Thanks for reading this. Hopefully it is not too unfocused.

braindx

It depends. If you're progressing well it may not be necessary.

But in general, everyone hits plateaus and periods of their training where they're inclined to get overuse. These are when backoff periods may be necessary. All depends on how you're progressing (or rather, if you're not progressing)

robotstrong

Thanks braindx. So I guess since I am progressing nicely I shouldn't worry about upping the sets in my steady state cycles.