This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder

Started by Itamar sha'ashuaS, September 1, 2015 · 16 Replies · 379 Views

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Hello!

 

For the last two months I got a pain in my right shoulder when doing every thing handstand and shoulder stretches related...

 

I think it began when I started doing HS/PE5>iM dislocates, probably I was pushing my shoulder to do more than it could (my shoulders are very flexible, so maybe I was excited to move on increase the weight and narrow the grip quickly..)

 

Untill now, I was doing foundation, handstand and stretch training but now I'm taking a break from handstand and thoracic bridge training because it causes me pain in the shoulder and it will heal better if I take a break.

I'm doing the handstand course workouts only without the HS/PE and iM (just the wrist work) and put in some back stretches from thoracic bridge course.

 

Is it okay that I'm taking that short break right now till it'll heal? What it is exactly the thing that I got in my shoulder? Is there a way to speed up the time of healing (ways to help it heal)? Like any injury, this is very annoying.. and I so want to get back to the full handstand workouts and thoracic bridge that I haven't done for a while..

 

Thanks!

Pafke

Your doing right thing, pain or discomfort is never good.

In case you didnt know (shoulder dislocates thread) -

 

Coach Sommer said:

Be sure to be patient on these drills. Grinding or popping sounds are an indication that you are working too hard, with too close of a grip.
 
Itamar sha'ashuaS
Mats Trane said:

Slow Down and don´t do anything that eaven hurts the slightest. Check this post out as well:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/21701-long-head-of-the-biceps-recovery-rcpe1-progress/

 

OK, I read this topic yesterday. I'm at PE2 for HBP in foundation and xiaopeng forward hurts a little, so what I should I do instead? What is shoulder rehab and prehab, I heard those a lot and I know they are related to injuries, this can help my shoulder to recover?

Mats Trane said:
 
Mats Trane said:

Also read this excellent post on shoulder dislocate from Daniel Chan at Body Tree GST.  Daniel is a GB affiliate in Singapore.

 

https://www.facebook.com/BodyTreeGST/videos/879930718760620/

I know, I'm following him on instagram and facebook, he is nice!

I saw all of the videos that he had posted for the handstand and shoulder mobility training.

Leonhard Krahé
Itamar sha said:

What is shoulder rehab and prehab, I heard those a lot and I know they are related to injuries, this can help my shoulder to recover?

Rehab(ilitation) = exercise that is supposed to help in recovery from an injury

Prehab(ilitation) = exercise that is supposed to prevent injury

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Leonhard Krahé said:

Rehab(ilitation) = exercise that is supposed to help in recovery from an injuryPrehab(ilitation) = exercise that is supposed to prevent injury

Ok, thanks for explaining this.

What are good rehab exercise that can help my shoulder to recover?

Alessandro Mainente

Personally i've seen you on FB doing stuff of advanced foundation while seems that you journey it is at the beginning. Seriously you are welcome to PLAY with adv element but not to train them constantly.

My suggestion is that since IM is the biggest problem for people, you should progress quickly on foundations. give your body the time to adapt.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Alessandro Mainente said:

Personally i've seen you on FB doing stuff of advanced foundation while seems that you journey it is at the beginning. Seriously you are welcome to PLAY with adv element but not to train them constantly.

My suggestion is that since IM is the biggest problem for people, you should progress quickly on foundations. give your body the time to adapt.

I really don't train them constantly, I'm just playing with them sometimes after my training, I know that I shouldn't train them constantly so I don't to this..

I didn't realized you suggestion.. Can you please explain it again? 

 

Thank you!

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Also, I got foundation workout today and I'm at PE2 for HBP, what should I do instead of xiaopeng forward if it's hurting my shoulder a bit?

Cole Dano
Itamar sha said:

Also, I got foundation workout today and I'm at PE2 for HBP, what should I do instead of xiaopeng forward if it's hurting my shoulder a bit?

 

 

- Lower the weight, or if that doesn't work, go back to PE1>iM.

- When it is comfortable again, post a form check.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Cole Dano said:

- Lower the weight, or if that doesn't work, go back to PE1>iM.

- When it is comfortable again, post a form check.

I'm already doing this with a low weight because of my shoulder and it still hurt a bit, so I guess I'll go back to PE1>iM for now..

Can you suggest some rehab exercises for the shoulders?

 

Thank you!

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Just rest. Seriously, take a good rest. There is no better way to set out a new, better approach to training than when you're injured because it only shows you did something wrong. In my instance it was impatience. I had to pay the price which is 8 weeks off hips work. Now I feel confident and completely relaxed about the idea that I would rather spend more on less than less on what I cannot handle.

Make the time of your injury to be the time where you can improve elsewhere physically or mentally.

Cole Dano

Exactly, the best rehab for your situation, is patience therapy.

~Atticus

I think Coach Sommer said during one of the podcasts that most of the injuries related to GST tend to be connective tissue-related.

 

That is, they are the consequence of an imbalance between our perceived muscular strength (or flexibility) vis-a-vis the strength (or flexibility) of the connective tissue.

 

I don't recall the exact figures that he mentioned but he also talked about how a load that takes the muscles, say two months to adapt, might require something like six months for the connective tissue to adapt.

 

So if you feel some pain somewhere, chances are very good that it's your connective tissue that's injured. And the injury probably happened a couple of days before you actually started feeling the pain.

 

The pain is, of course, the result of inflammation, which is the body's natural way of trying to heal the injury, but we also need to remember that connective tissue takes longer to get inflamed than muscular tissue, and similarly takes longer to heal than muscular tissue does.

 

So if your injury was the result of "trying to do too much, too soon" it might be prudent to listen to your body and do absolutely nothing for a minimum of four weeks. 

 

Four weeks is just one month. It goes by very quickly. Sure, you may try to use this time to rehab the injured part, but do it with the most sparing of effort, so that you may allow it to heal as quickly as possible.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
~Atticus said:

I think Coach Sommer said during one of the podcasts that most of the injuries related to GST tend to be connective tissue-related.

 

That is, they are the consequence of an imbalance between our perceived muscular strength (or flexibility) vis-a-vis the strength (or flexibility) of the connective tissue.

 

I don't recall the exact figures that he mentioned but he also talked about how a load that takes the muscles, say two months to adapt, might require something like six months for the connective tissue to adapt.

 

So if you feel some pain somewhere, chances are very good that it's your connective tissue that's injured. And the injury probably happened a couple of days before you actually started feeling the pain.

 

The pain is, of course, the result of inflammation, which is the body's natural way of trying to heal the injury, but we also need to remember that connective tissue takes longer to get inflamed than muscular tissue, and similarly takes longer to heal than muscular tissue does.

 

So if your injury was the result of "trying to do too much, too soon" it might be prudent to listen to your body and do absolutely nothing for a minimum of four weeks. 

 

Four weeks is just one month. It goes by very quickly. Sure, you may try to use this time to rehab the injured part, but do it with the most sparing of effort, so that you may allow it to heal as quickly as possible.

So for now, I'll take a break from thoracic bridge course, the HS PE's and iM's (will do just the wrist work), and replace HBP/PE2>iM xiaopeng forward with PE1>iM. i'll try to let the shoulder rest as much as I can so I will get back to normal as fast as possible..

DBeckerman

I've had to rehab both my shoulders with different injuries (both not related to GST) and the best rule I can give you is if it is sore don't do it. Take some time to perform previous elements to tease more out of them and more benefit later on. I am now spending more time on previous RC and HS elements that I have mastered. I am doing RCPE 1 to rehab my shoulder and I am enjoying taking my time without my ego pushing me. It's refreshing.