Is the mastery width for undergrip dislocate the same as the ordinary dislocate? Shoulder width times 1.5? And at what weight am I considering mastering the movement?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Standing undergrip dislocate - mastery weight and width?
Started by Tobias Akeblom, August 29, 2015 · 17 Replies · 573 Views
Mastery for both is shoulder plus a hand width (your thumbs inline with the outside of your shoulders).
thecolin said:Mastery for both is shoulder plus a hand width (your thumbs inline with the outside of your shoulders).
I read somewhere on the forum where coach wrote shoulder width x 1.5 as a minimum for mastery.
The difference between 2x and 1.5x shoulder width is minimal and provide little benefit in my experience. Around shoulder width is where all the real adaption (and hard work) happens, even slightly wider is way, way easier. I can easily use double the weight at 1.5x width vs shoulders + hands width.
All right. Thanks!
Btw. Undergrip dislocate, damn how much harder I find it. Ordinary dislocates I can do with hands just outside shoulder width. With undergrip, not so much!
weight approximately 7-8 kg.
Alessandro Mainente said:weight approximately 7-8 kg.
Ok, thank you!
Tobias Akeblom said:Btw. Undergrip dislocate, damn how much harder I find it. Ordinary dislocates I can do with hands just outside shoulder width. With undergrip, not so much!
No kidding, way more difficult. ![]()
5 lbs/2 kg is enough for mastery. Then keep it in your warmup and gradually increase the weight.
Jeremy Huston said:5 lbs/2 kg is enough for mastery. Then keep it in your warmup and gradually increase the weight.
this is not correct. More and more time Coach gives us the suggestion to build up at least 6-8 kg (10% bodyweight) for the mastery of dislocates.
Remember that is GST physical preparation. If during a rings giant the shoulders feel a weight equals to 10-12 of your BW, how do you think that 2 kg it is enough?
Please be careful with suggestions.
I got my information from this post by a moderator.
Joshua Slocum said:Mastery requires ~5# at approximately shoulder width plus one hand-width.
After achieving mastery, you should set 45# as a long-term goal.
Any clarification on this? I've just recently mastered dislocates with 2kg and I was about to move to PE6 (and start working on dislocates with 3-4kg in my warmup) but now I am confused, to say the least! I'm still in F1, so there should be plenty of time to get to bigger weights.
Thanks ![]()
if that's what you've accomplished (shoulder width plus 1 hands width on each side), then bump up the weight and begin the process again while you move on to more advanced dislocate and handstand progressions.
take Alex's recommendation of building the dislocates to a minimum of 10% BW seriously tho. it helps a lot in the pursuit of Trap strength and pec minor / Lat mobility for a stronger Free HS and Press HS. maybe the message that was received was "get to 2kg at this standard and move on", which we've established is not the case. much to be gained with this Integrated Mobility. ![]()
Thanks for your reply!
I'll surely keep dislocated in my warmup even after the 10% goal is achieved, no doubts about that!
Since PE6<iM are dislocates again, I was just wandering if I should train undergrip and overgrip together or just focus on the iM for now to avoid putting too much pressure on the connective tissue and re-start working on overgrip dislocates after I'll move to PE7. Is that right?
Edoardo Cagnola said:Thanks for your reply!
I'll surely keep dislocated in my warmup even after the 10% goal is achieved, no doubts about that!
Since PE6<iM are dislocates again, I was just wandering if I should train undergrip and overgrip together or just focus on the iM for now to avoid putting too much pressure on the connective tissue and re-start working on overgrip dislocates after I'll move to PE7. Is that right?
I'd keep working them both. maybe do two sets of PE5, one set with the weight you mastered and one set with a heavier weight. same thing with the dislocates. I warm up with 6lb before moving onto doing them with 8lb's. on both PE and iM. before moving onto your work sets.
Seriously guys, i got my shoulders problem 4-5 years ago before approaching the weighted dislocates. when I passed over 6-7 kg dislocates I started to have basically no problems. the little pain due to training session has nothing to do with that, something that solves in a couple of days. chronic pain, rotator cuff pain, impingement...completely gone and never returned.
Everyone should build up to 20kg/45lb dislocates. However, as a standard for moving on to the next element, I've always used 2.5kg/5lbs as a default weight requirement for the weighted bar work in H1: anything less and you're not using enough weight to feel it. On dislocates, going higher before progressing is definitely a good idea: 5# is the bare minimum.