This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Dislocation weight

Started by Fede HD, April 29, 2014 · 9 Replies · 433 Views

Fede HD

Hi everybody,

So for mastering iM from 1 -> 5/6 you should use a weighted bar at least 3-5 kg (5-10 lbs), is that correct? Once mastered with the proper weight, is advisable to continue increasing the weight? If so, which is a good weight for Dislocation element to aim for?

Thank you for you answers, Federico

TANSTAAFL

Here ya go.

Joshua Slocum
Fede HD said:

Hi everybody,

So for mastering iM from 1 -> 5/6 you should use a weighted bar at least 3-5 kg (5-10 lbs), is that correct? Once mastered with the proper weight, is advisable to continue increasing the weight? If so, which is a good weight for Dislocation element to aim for?

Thank you for you answers, Federico

Mastery requires ~5# at approximately shoulder width plus one hand-width. 

 

After achieving mastery, you should set 45# as a long-term goal. 

wheezer

I'd imagine working up the weight after 5# would help royally with H2.

Jon Douglas

Elsewhere Coach recommended everyone aim for at least 20lb on the mobility elements; 45 is a better goal for the ambitious :) Past that the benefits tail off and probably aren't worth the time required to increasing it further.

I highly recommend working up the weight on strict, fully retracted weighted shoulder extensions. This is hugely helpful for manna work (which seems obvious in retrospect and Daniel told me a while ago) but I didn't really internalise it until more recently.

wheezer

Hey yeah! That does make a lot of sense.

If I had a long-term goal of manna-to-dislocate, would I effectively need a bodyweight shoulder-width dislocate?

Jon Douglas
wheezer said:

Hey yeah! That does make a lot of sense.

If I had a long-term goal of manna-to-dislocate, would I effectively need a bodyweight shoulder-width dislocate?

Makes sense, but to get a straight answer you'd need someone with a manna to dislocate ;) not a common skill...

 

 

(I'm pretty sure physically you couldn't anchor yourself and lift that weight at arms length, it seems to me that the only way to DO a bodyweight dislocate would be in this manner. Ring inlocates are similar but distinct, effectively a kind of inverted dislocate)

Fede HD
Joshua Slocum said:

Mastery requires ~5# at approximately shoulder width plus one hand-width. 

 

After achieving mastery, you should set 45# as a long-term goal. 

Perfect. Thank you for your clear answer! Mastering seems more achievable and I have a long term goal. 

HamdiC
Joshua Slocum said:

Mastery requires ~5# at approximately shoulder width plus one hand-width. 

 

After achieving mastery, you should set 45# as a long-term goal. 

Sorry, but "5#" means 5kg or 5lb?

Joshua Slocum
HamdiC said:

Sorry, but "5#" means 5kg or 5lb?

# is used to indicate lbs.