When to start Handstand Two?

Started by orangutan, August 28, 2015 · 16 Replies · 5,418 Views

orangutan

I've been doing F1/H1 for seven months and am wondering when I should add in the press handstand element from Handstand Two. Is pHS/PE1 something that starts very easy, much like all other PE1's? 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Ideally, after mastering H1.

If you're finding H1 easy, please post a form check in H1 course forum. Chances are, you will get something to correct.

Alessandro Mainente

before starting H2 you need to master H1 until PE8. this it is a suggestion for START H2. after you need at least 30 s handstand.

Romulo

It´s also listed in GB curriculum that F1 and F2 are prerequisites.

Benjn
Alessandro Mainente said:

before starting H2 you need to master H1 until PE8. this it is a suggestion for START H2. after you need at least 30 s handstand.

You also apparently need to complete Foundation through F2. Source.

orangutan

Thanks. I asked because I thought I saw people adding H2 to their workouts before finishing H1/F2, but it appears that it is not advised. 

 

And no, H1 is NOT easy!!!  :o

Benjn
Alessandro Mainente said:

before starting H2 you need to master H1 until PE8. this it is a suggestion for START H2. after you need at least 30 s handstand.

Been thinking about this...I posted the following:
Benjn said:

You also apparently need to complete Foundation through F2. Source.

So...is this true? What if I master HS/PE8 before mastering F2? Can I start training H2 at that point or is that a no-no? I'd really like to expand on my HS training, but not so badly that I wanna jump the gun.

Stupid question amnesty, please! :P

orangutan

I saw on the Course Intro Articles under the heading "Press Handstand", "Where to Start?" the following:

 

"You may begin the press handstand preparatory elements (pHS/PE) exercises immediately along side your Handstand One training."

 

Is this incorrect? Coach's "Like" on Alessandro's post above saying "before starting H2 you need to master H1 until PE8" seems to contradict this.

 

Thanks for your help.

Keilani Gutierrez

if you guys want to know when to start which Course from the GB Curriculum, consult this link: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12862-the-gymnasticbodies-roadmap-and-curriculum/

you need to be able to perform mastery upto F2 and you can productively begin H2. the H1 upto PE8 standard is more of a thing to consider if you are an absolute beginner in H1, which we shouldnt be by the time we finish working on F2 and starting up H2. think about it. :)

orangutan

Thanks. :) 

 

The information in the Intro Articles still says differently and should be clarified. 

Keilani Gutierrez

Oh! so this means you bought H2 already?

orangutan

The first "Press Handstand" intro article (headline "The Perfect Exercise" does not seem to be restricted to only those who bought H2.

Joshua Slocum

Completing F2 before beginning H2 is advised, for a few reasons:

 

1. H2 assumes you have a good amount of shoulder, pike and straddle mobility already.

2. H2 assumes you have a fair amount of shoulder girdle strength and stability already. 

3. The press handstand is a far more technical skill than anything found in Foundation. In working through F1-2, you'll gain a lot of experience analyzing your movements and correcting them. Without that experience, you'll find it difficult to figure out whether you're performing exercises in H2 correctly. 

vinca_minor

Considering that elements can be all over the place, which F elements are most important for being through F2 on?  

 

I would assume that Single Leg Squat doesn't matter that much for a Press Handstand...

Keilani Gutierrez

sufficient Hip strength and mobility is for SURE needed for Press HS.

in order of resources available to disclose how best to tackle a Course is this link. any other discussion, like Alex's mentioning of having H1 worked upto PE8, is supplemental knowledge as to when working on H2 progressions should be started. the same thinking being discussed here on this thread pertaining to Handstand and Press Handstand development is along the lines of why the SL progressions were updated, why mastering Planche Leans are productive in the developing of the PPP, why mastering upto 5x30s Free HS should be mastered before starting Press HS SE's, etc.

not all of this information will be available at the drop of a hat, this is why discussion is important! the courses are subject to be updated if the GB team feels they can offer a better route to ensure success in the pursuit of the 7 Foundation elements or (so far) 2 Handstand elements.

also to note: the paragraph you provided, orangutan has a continuation that describes the rest of the expected standards of when to begin what progressions. it is simply stated in the POV of someone who has purchased H2 and has already completed their Foundation One through Two training. (thank you for pointing it out tho, I wasn't aware that you could view all the intro articles of the GB Courses without actually owning them, which is what probably led to this confusion!)

 

orangutan

Thanks for the detailed response. 

 

As a newbie to GST and recovering zombie, I expect to spend a long time on PE1-2 (like all the other elements :/) and was hoping that I could start building up to pHS/PE1 to get a head start. Of course I don't know what it is, so thanks for telling me that it's probably not relevant to me at this stage.

Keilani Gutierrez
orangutan said:

Thanks for the detailed response. 

 

As a newbie to GST and recovering zombie, I expect to spend a long time on PE1-2 (like all the other elements :/) and was hoping that I could start building up to pHS/PE1 to get a head start. Of course I don't know what it is, so thanks for telling me that it's probably not relevant to me at this stage.

if proficient Handstands is what you're set out on achieving you want a look into the Thoracic bridge Stretch series. that, on top of the training you are doing in Foundation and Handstands is the head start you're looking for your upper body flexibility/mobility/strength needs in GST.

if you notice progress halts for you, please search the forum for possible clues as to why, if you don't find that your issues are disclosed, post a thread asking for guidance. either someone who is more savvy with the search function will provide a few links or we can begin discussion on how to tackle your issue.

we're a community, we're all here to help one another. :)