This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring thing

Started by Itamar sha'ashuaS, August 27, 2015 · 41 Replies · 1,053 Views

Paul Clay

I would reiterate that you go see a PT.  

 

That said,  the advice to "don't do any exercises which involve hamstrings and let them heal."  is not good general advice because it depends on where in your recovery you are.  Hamstrings need to be used unless the injury is recent and acute.  You need to find exercises that don't aggravate the injury.  Weak hamstrings will just get reinjured.  For me, hamstring curls feel fine, for example.  Barbel squats and deadlifts not so much.

 

If you look up the stages of hamstring rehab, only the first stage do you fully rest the hamstring, otherwise you need to be doing strengthening exercises.

 

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307765-treatment

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Thank you for your input, I stand corrected and find it very valuable :)

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Paul Clay said:

I would reiterate that you go see a PT.  

 

That said,  the advice to "don't do any exercises which involve hamstrings and let them heal."  is not good general advice because it depends on where in your recovery you are.  Hamstrings need to be used unless the injury is recent and acute.  You need to find exercises that don't aggravate the injury.  Weak hamstrings will just get reinjured.  For me, hamstring curls feel fine, for example.  Barbel squats and deadlifts not so much.

 

If you look up the stages of hamstring rehab, only the first stage do you fully rest the hamstring, otherwise you need to be doing strengthening exercises.

 

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307765-treatment

Oh, and I just finished an F7 session without MN and SLS..

I feel like straddle ups and static single leg squat don't causes me any pain, so in the next session I will do them and instead of iM's I'll just reat a little between sets. What do you say? And when you said to find exercises that don't aggravate the injury you ment strengthening exercises, not stretching right?

Paul Clay
Itamar sha said:

Oh, and I just finished an F7 session without MN and SLS..

I feel like straddle ups and static single leg squat don't causes me any pain, so in the next session I will do them and instead of iM's I'll just reat a little between sets. What do you say? And when you said to find exercises that don't aggravate the injury you ment strengthening exercises, not stretching right?

I did mean strengthening exercises.   I would find a hamstring exercise that you can do for high reps without pain, and do it as much as possible while still allowing for rest and recovery. 

 

Stretching feels good for me mostly, but I do think if I go super deep that it aggravates it a bit.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Paul Clay said:

I did mean strengthening exercises.   I would find a hamstring exercise that you can do for high reps without pain, and do it as much as possible while still allowing for rest and recovery. 

 

Stretching feels good for me mostly, but I do think if I go super deep that it aggravates it a bit.

So you have any strengthening exercises for me to try? Other then the straddle ups which I continue to work in foundation, I can't think of any others, maybe pike pulses?
Jon Douglas

On the one occasion I have had a hamstring pull in the past few years, I had a good amount of success working to 10r of each SLS im in order from the beginning, adding one extra exercise when I next reached that number COMFORTABLY, no pain or twinging sensation AT ALL. By the time I was up to NLCs, I had no problem doing any kind of leg training/sprinting/jumping etc.

If you are in an appropriate stage to do this kind of rehab, it worked very fast for me. I agree that just leaving it is not enough, but it's putting the finger on when it has settled enough to poke it again and provoke a healing response that is the difficulty.

I've never had a high hamstring pull though, so defer to those with experience on that case.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Jon Douglas said:

On the one occasion I have had a hamstring pull in the past few years, I had a good amount of success working to 10r of each SLS im in order from the beginning, adding one extra exercise when I next reached that number COMFORTABLY, no pain or twinging sensation AT ALL. By the time I was up to NLCs, I had no problem doing any kind of leg training/sprinting/jumping etc.

If you are in an appropriate stage to do this kind of rehab, it worked very fast for me. I agree that just leaving it is not enough, but it's putting the finger on when it has settled enough to poke it again and provoke a healing response that is the difficulty.

I've never had a high hamstring pull though, so defer to those with experience on that case.

Good idea Jon, thanks !

If I'm doing it, when do you think I should do it? After a workout, before...?

If I got you right, I need to build to ten reps in the first iM and then add the second and build to ten and so on and I get an excellent legs rehab routine?

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Jon Douglas said:

On the one occasion I have had a hamstring pull in the past few years, I had a good amount of success working to 10r of each SLS im in order from the beginning, adding one extra exercise when I next reached that number COMFORTABLY, no pain or twinging sensation AT ALL. By the time I was up to NLCs, I had no problem doing any kind of leg training/sprinting/jumping etc.

If you are in an appropriate stage to do this kind of rehab, it worked very fast for me. I agree that just leaving it is not enough, but it's putting the finger on when it has settled enough to poke it again and provoke a healing response that is the difficulty.

I've never had a high hamstring pull though, so defer to those with experience on that case.

Great idea Jon, thanks !

If I got you right, the idea is to build to ten reps in the first iM and then add the second iM and build to ten and so on, and so you get an excellent legs rehab routine?

When do you think I should do it (before/after/mid workout- S,H,F) and how many times per week?

Jon Douglas

Please note that your injury is a bit different to mine and I only worked on rehab after giving it complete rest for adequate time. I am not prescribing you a hamstring fix, just sharing my experience.

I worked up to 10 reps each im, because I found that they made a gently increasing difficulty and directness on hamstrings. Inside squats don't feel like hamstring is working, until you try them with a pull :S The big ones were obviously the bridge leg curls working slowly and cautiously up to the harder movements in F2, never working it harder than almost totally comfortable.

I did this in place of leg training 2-3* a week and gave it rest otherwise. When I could do F2 ims correctly, with a good time under tension, obviously I was fine to do anything I could do beforehand-- sprints, jumps etc.

Note that I was finishing up F2 at this point in training so in terms of strength these were not difficult targets for me. If you are not already comfortable with the mastery reps rehab is not the time to try to build strength :) Take the principle not a prescription :)

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Yesterday after training I tried to figure out where the pain is located exactly.

Since it's started I've thought that the pain is in the hamstring because I can not go down to a pike or compress my body in the ROM that I could do before. now I can tell that the pain isn't in the hamstring, but in the hip flexor I think and when I compress my body it hurts there and I can't go down like I could. That said, I really can not be sure of that and maybe it is not the hip flexor but it is something there for sure. So I'll le it rest for a couple of days and see what happend.

Itamar sha'ashuaS

But there is still a little pain in the hamstring that I think rest will fix. The main Issue is the hip flexor or something near that hurt when I compress in a specific ROM and on.

Itamar sha'ashuaS

It's been almost 6 months (5-6) with this pain and it's really doesn't look like it will go away someday.. It's not gettng better at all altough I'm not doing hamstring stretching at all for a long time.. Any advice besides the obvious one which is going to see a doctor will be appreciated, thanks !

HB_Ron

I understood nothing from your description about the location of the pain. Hamstring? Hip Flexors? Where is it exactly? Post a photo of the exact spot.

 

טוב שלא רשמת שהכאב בכלל באוזן ומשום מה אתה מרגיש בהמסטרינג חחח. המסטרינג(שלושה ראשים)זה מאחורי הרגל וארבע ראשי זה השריר מקדימה. אם זה בהמסטרינג אז יש סיכוי טוב שפצעת את אחד הראשים.

.

.

.

.

.

Oh and go see a PT ;)

I really mean it..especially if you're not sure where the pain exactly occurs.

Cole Dano

Go to a Doctor, or Physical Therapist is the best advice. 

 

With out actually being able to see you in person we're really all groping in the dark trying to figure out what the issue is. We just went from hamstring to hip flexor, that's a big jump and a huge range of possibilities.

 

A brief word on hard hamstring stretching:

 

I tore my upper hamstring 20 years ago, and it took about 10 years to get to the point that I never feel it. Though for most of that time after the main healing took place it was a very minor feeling, I knew it was there when I stretched hard.

 

The key to managing it, and this hold true for everyone doing hamstring work, is to get the stretch out of the upper hamstring. Basically the insertion of the hamstrings to the sitting bones is a weak spot and in stretching them it will often happen that you feel the stretch there.

 

So when you're working hamstrings and you feel the stretch at the setting bones, try to shift the feeling of the stretch back down to the belly of the hamstring or towards the knee. Otherwise back off until there is almost no feeling there, even if it means you're not stretching very much.

 

It's hard to explain in words how exactly to do it, but, its actually easy to do.

chuchodani

I second what Cole said, I had a partial rupture of my hamstring somewhat between the butt and the leg, one of my doctors said it was at the insertion. In one month is going to be a year of that and I can actually feel it in some stretches. This one take long time to heal up the point I will feel nothing.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
chuchodani said:

I second what Cole said, I had a partial rupture of my hamstring somewhat between the butt and the leg, one of my doctors said it was at the insertion. In one month is going to be a year of that and I can actually feel it in some stretches. This one take long time to heal up the point I will feel nothing.

I get you, but I just can't understand how after a six months period the pain does not show any signs of healing at all..

Cole Dano

That's why you need to go to a professional who can assess and explain the situation to you.