This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring thing

Started by Itamar sha'ashuaS, August 27, 2015 · 41 Replies · 1,053 Views

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Hello!

 

For the last couple of months I'm experiencing a little pain in my left hamstring when I'm going down to a pike position/ front split etc..

 

This little pain is preventing me from going down as much as I can (my flexibility is very good at the hamstrings) in my left hamstring (The right hamstring is still very flexible and now I barely feel him when I'm going down to a pike.. I feel the pain in the left hamstring which has always been a little les flexible the the right one).

 

These are my pike and front splits

post-19795-0-29534300-1439739558_thumb.j
post-19795-0-93970100-1439552045_thumb.p
post-19795-0-48327500-1439552032_thumb.p

post-19795-0-03523600-1440654877_thumb.p

 

Usually when I'm realy warmed up or in a middle of a workout that focuses on the hamstrings too, this little pain is getting a bit better and I can go down to my pike.

 

So for letting it heal, I decided last week to take a little break from the front split series and from the Manna progressions in foundation (MN/PE2 straddle ups+ MN/PE2-iM Jefferson curls 25kg).

When I'm doing jefferson curls I feel that on the first set I can't go down as I realy can, but on the sets after it I can go down as much as I can.

 

What do you think it is, is what I'm doing it's okay? and what should I do?

 

Thanks!

chuchodani

Let it heal and don't push it, reduce the ROM in all your stretches until it feels better and then gently build the ROM again. For me when I had the hamstring injury SLS/SE1>iM works like magic for me accelerating my recovery. 

Jason Dupree

Just spitballing not knowing more, It might be a trigger point or knot. Unless (or even if) you did something to it. I spontaneously developed one on my right hamstring a while back and it was actually almost painful to stretch, but when I was really warmed up it was fine. Myofascial release with a lacrosse ball worked wonders. Best way is on the floor, with the affected leg straight, other foot pulled in close, sitting up straight, and setting yourself down on the ball. If it's a knot that will get it. If not, it still might help.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
chuchodani said:

Let it heal and don't push it, reduce the ROM in all your stretches until it feels better and then gently build the ROM again. For me when I had the hamstring injury SLS/SE1>iM works like magic for me accelerating my recovery. 

I do SLS/SE1+SLS/PE5>iM because I can't do SLS/SE1>iM yet and I'm working on it.

Right now I'm not doing any hamstring stretches (taking a break from front split series and Manna work from foundation), is it ok or should I continue as usuall but reduce the ROM on each stretch?

chuchodani
Itamar sha said:

I do SLS/SE1+SLS/PE5>iM because I can't do SLS/SE1>iM yet and I'm working on it.

Right now I'm not doing any hamstring stretches (taking a break from front split series and Manna work from foundation), is it ok or should I continue as usuall but reduce the ROM on each stretch?

I think you should continue as usual but reducing the ROM that's what I did. Here I was injured but doing what I could without pain.

 

HB_Ron

Rest for a few days. Then, strengthening and stretching with NO pain will be your best solution, IMO.

I suggest that you return to PE1-iM and when your left leg's ready, continue performing JC but it would be better if you reduce the ROM and the weight in the beginning.

I hope this helps and wish you a fast recovery my friend! :)

 

Edit: A heating pad(כרית חימום) and hot showers speed up recovery as well

Itamar sha'ashuaS
chuchodani said:

I think you should continue as usual but reducing the ROM that's what I did. Here I was injured but doing what I could without pain.

 

Ok, so I will continue with the front split series and jefferson curls but reduce the ROM and the weight.

I hope it'll be better soon, Thank you chuchodani !

Cole Dano

Where are you feeling the pain?

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Cole Dano said:

Where are you feeling the pain?

I'm feeling the pain in my hamstring, I think that in upper part of it..

alb17

I have the same problem but behind my knee. I will try reducing the ROM in the JC and split series too. Thanks

Itamar sha'ashuaS

It's been almost a month now since I started to reduce the ROM in hamstring work and the pain is still there, doesn't feel even a bit better..

It's annoying, I'm missing the days that I could do chest to thighs pike without any pain or a deep jefferson curl..

What should I do now?

~Atticus
Itamar sha said:

It's been almost a month now since I started to reduce the ROM in hamstring work and the pain is still there, doesn't feel even a bit better..

It's annoying, I'm missing the days that I could do chest to thighs pike without any pain or a deep jefferson curl..

What should I do now?

 

Hamstrings are notoriously known for taking anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to heal, or even longer, depending on the severity of the injury.

I injured my hamstring a few months back, and it's held me back on a few things, e.g., my manna progress.

Give it time, and take it slow. Prepare for about 6 months minimum recovery time.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
~Atticus said:

Hamstrings are notoriously known for taking anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to heal, or even longer, depending on the severity of the injury.

I injured my hamstring a few months back, and it's held me back on a few things, e.g., my manna progress.

Give it time, and take it slow. Prepare for about 6 months minimum recovery time.

I know that it'll take time but it's been already 3-4 months since it's started and there isn't any change at all. Is it supposed to be like that?

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Itamar sha said:

It's been almost a month now since I started to reduce the ROM in hamstring work and the pain is still there, doesn't feel even a bit better..

It's annoying, I'm missing the days that I could do chest to thighs pike without any pain or a deep jefferson curl..

What should I do now?

 

Rest more.

And keep in mind that it is your body which dictates all of your muscles and connective tissue adaptations, not your effort to get there faster.

 

 

Itamar sha said:

I know that it'll take time but it's been already 3-4 months since it's started and there isn't any change at all. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes. You simply don't give enough quality time your hamstrings to heal properly.

Paul Clay

I've been struggling with a high hamstring strain since the new year.  I stopped lifting heavy recently.  I'm working with a PT.  For me it was a combination of overuse and weak glutes that led to the problem , so now it's the long haul to treat the root of the issue and be patient for my body to heal.  

 

My strategy:

First, Rest and walk until it's not inflamed/aggravated (few days to weeks).  Get a hammy/butt massage if you can afford it!

 

Then:

- Glute (medius, minor, max) strengthening exercises every other day, and single leg hamstring exercises 3x/week.

- Stretching hamstrings once a week (personally, I feel overstretching the hammy without much recovery could have been an original culprit).

- foam rolling as much as possible all over the legs.  Lacrosse ball all up in my glutes/groin area.

- Doing Foundations unchanged and focusing as much as possible to use my glutes for the lower body moves.

- Trying to sit less at my desk job!

 

So far things seem to be improving slowly.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Rest more.

And keep in mind that it is your body which dictates all of your muscles and connective tissue adaptations, not your effort to get there faster.

 

 

Yes. You simply don't give enough quality time your hamstrings to heal properly.

When you're saying rest it means no front split (stretch series) ? no jefferson curls ? no to doing anything that I feel in my left hamstring?

Currently I'm following chuchodani's advice and reducing the ROM in Front split sessions and hamstring work. Should I leave these now?

When doing the hamstring work in front split series, my right hamstring is very flexible and the left is really not due to the pain (which I can't decide if it in the hamstring or above..) for example when doing narrow hurdler, on my right leg I can go leg on thigh, but in the left leg I can only sit and go down a bit. When doing pike I'm feeling my left hamstring and the right one is feeling like this stretch isn't challenging it at all.. And again, I really can't decide where the pain is because now that I really focus on it, it seems that the pain isn't exactly at the hamstring..  What to do with that?

Coach Sommer
Paul Clay said:

... I've been struggling with a high hamstring strain since the new year.  I stopped lifting heavy recently.  I'm working with a PT.  For me it was a combination of overuse and weak glutes that led to the problem , so now it's the long haul to treat the root of the issue and be patient for my body to heal ...

 

A high hamstring pull can take up to a year to heal.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Itamar sha said:

When you're saying rest it means no front split (stretch series) ? no jefferson curls ? no to doing anything that I feel in my left hamstring?

Currently I'm following chuchodani's advice and reducing the ROM in Front split sessions and hamstring work. Should I leave these now?

When doing the hamstring work in front split series, my right hamstring is very flexible and the left is really not due to the pain (which I can't decide if it in the hamstring or above..) for example when doing narrow hurdler, on my right leg I can go leg on thigh, but in the left leg I can only sit and go down a bit. When doing pike I'm feeling my left hamstring and the right one is feeling like this stretch isn't challenging it at all.. And again, I really can't decide where the pain is because now that I really focus on it, it seems that the pain isn't exactly at the hamstring..  What to do with that?

It is obvious that reducing ROM doesn't help, does it? When you put any load on your left hamstring you aggravate it, at least that is what I see you explaining in your posts. You said it doesn't go away for a few months now, so unless you see a physiotherapist who instructs you otherwise, I don't see any reason why you should do anything that puts any load on your left hamstring because you can make it even worse.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

It is obvious that reducing ROM doesn't help, does it? When you put any load on your left hamstring you aggravate it, at least that is what I see you explaining in your posts. You said it doesn't go away for a few months now, so unless you see a physiotherapist who instructs you otherwise, I don't see any reason why you should do anything that puts any load on your left hamstring because you can make it even worse.

So I need to take a break from front split course work and jefferson curls as MN/PE2>iM? If so, what should I do instead as MN/PE2>iM?

Not doing anything that puts any load on my left hamstring means not doing hamstring work at all in the right leg too, right?

Vytautas Pilkauskas

That is what I would do. No exercise for hamstrings at all until pain would go away completely and only then I would do some very light mobility work until I can go back on track to full training.

I recently recovered from groin injury. It took me two full months to get back to pain free and still I am stretching very very cautiously. Patience, my friend.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

That is what I would do. No exercise for hamstrings at all until pain would go away completely and only then I would do some very light mobility work until I can go back on track to full training.

I recently recovered from groin injury. It took me two full months to get back to pain free and still I am stretching very very cautiously. Patience, my friend.

So how should I train MN/PE2 without his iM?
Vytautas Pilkauskas

You seem to ignore the word 'rest'.

You don't do any exercises which involve hamstrings and let them heal.

My only advice (from my and many others' experience) for you is put aside your Manna and SLS work until your hamstrings get better.

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

You seem to ignore the word 'rest'.

You don't do any exercises which involve hamstrings and let them heal.

My only advice (from my and many others' experience) for you is put aside your Manna and SLS work until your hamstrings get better.

I underatand that my hamstring needs rest, I just asked if I can continue working on the PE's that I'm at for MN (PE2) and SLS (SE1) without the iM? Not mastering, just meep working on them alone, Do a set and then rest (instead of iM) and again.
Vytautas Pilkauskas

As I said, if I were you, I wouldn't do any PE, any iM, any other exercise outside GST, which involves hamstrings. I would also seriously consider seeing a doctor/physio for more specific and professional advice. This way I would make sure that hamstrings do not get further injured. :)

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

As I said, if I were you, I wouldn't do any PE, any iM, any other exercise outside GST, which involves hamstrings. I would also seriously consider seeing a doctor/physio for more specific and professional advice. This way I would make sure that hamstrings do not get further injured. :)

I'll take a break from front split and the iM's, but will do the PE's with a short rest instead of iM. If it won't get better i will take a break from the PE's too altough I don't see how SLS/SE1 should hurt me..

I still can't decide if the pain is in the hamstring or above but i think it's above.. Anyway, I know qhat causes me the pain, so now when I'll take a break from it, I hope it will get better.