So I just purchased F1 today, and based on what I've read, F1 and H1 go better together than Republicans and Democrats (sorry, bad joke). I was wondering, would I be at a disadvantage not buying H1 and just doing F1? Also, I've looked through Btgb and it's a great book and all, but a lot of people are saying that it is too difficult for beginners to do the progressions. I would really like to use it though, but a rookie like myself would only get himself hurt for trying to attempt the exercises presented in the book. So I was wondering if there is any merit of referring to the book at all? Are there any of you guys out there that have successfully integrated the foundation series with Btgb? As a novice, your words of wisdom is most appreciated. Harsh words, BRING IT!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
F1, H1, and Btgb
Started by Jesse Kim, August 26, 2015 · 31 Replies · 598 Views
The foundation series is a gradiated and expanded version of btgb, containing almost all of it (bar some rings components) as well as many intermediate steps and the integrated mobility.
There is no integrating the two other than for reference; foundation supersedes btgb.
Unless of course you are working galimores and curls to shoulderstand, which are not yet covered in the rings series but are featured in btgb ![]()
Really everything that's in btgb is in F1-4, plus so much more. As far as f1 + h1, they are really inseparable. I'd say leaving out h1 is the equivalent of skipping leg day for bodybuilders ![]()
In terms of those advanced multi-plane movements/push&pull movements, I won't consider touching those until I've gained proficiency over the 7 elements the foundation series provides. Can I still use btgb to help with the 7 elements?
Jason Dupree said:Really everything that's in btgb is in F1-4, plus so much more. As far as f1 + h1, they are really inseparable. I'd say leaving out h1 is the equivalent of skipping leg day for bodybuilders
Oh, man that is terrible for me
Is there no other way around it, as far as handstand training goes? Just wondering.
Jesse Kim said:In terms of those advanced multi-plane movements/push&pull movements, I won't consider touching those until I've gained proficiency over the 7 elements the foundation series provides. Can I still use btgb to help with the 7 elements?
.
Sure, although I'm not really sure how you'd do this.
Jon Douglas said:Sure, although I'm not really sure how you'd do this.
Me too, I don't know how this'll work to be honest lol. Oh well, I'll just stick with F1 and try to get H1 soon.
You could use btgb progressions as your "play" post workout?
I really don't know of a better handstand program than h1, even just speaking of the mobility.
Jason Dupree said:You could use btgb progressions as your "play" post workout?
I really don't know of a better handstand program than h1, even just speaking of the mobility.
Sorry, what did you meant by "play"? I'm still new to the terminology, sorry :'(
I think I'll just get H1. Should I not begin F1 until I get H1 in the meantime?
Def start f1 while you wait. By play, if you have extra energy at the end of a workout you can play with more advanced things without doing sets and reps, and assuming it's not too far above your strength level that it's dangerous.
I bought BTGB. I also have F1-F3, H1, and 2 stretches. I never could have gone back to BTGB progressions even after a month of F1. I also still contend that my handstand got better in 4 months with H1 than it would have been with 3 more years of what I was doing (and I had what most people would have considered was a solid handstand). Just my 2 cents.
If you have to settle, stick with foundation. The best workout is the one that you actually do. It will be easier to stay consistent if you don't flood yourself with too much information. I say you should wait until you've steadily worked F1 for a month, before buying H1. They help one another immensely. But you can make it easier on yourself, by sticking to 1 moving part for the time being.
But you should definitely buy H1 in the future : D. Good stuff in there
Thanks guys for you advice. I'll try doing F1 until I can get H1 and see from there how I progress. Just out of curiosity, how far did you guys get on F1?
It's hard to do a HBP without a handstand. Just sayin'.
H1 is actually a prequisite to working on F4 ![]()
Jesse Kim said:Just out of curiosity, how far did you guys get on F1?
Why do you assume that everybody talking to you is doing F1? In this same thread, you have people who have basically finished F4 and it´s common to have elements spread in different levels, since we usually don´t have a homogeneous level of strength for all elements. So you can have the same person doing different elements at F1, F2 and F3 for example.
Romulo said:Why do you assume that everybody talking to you is doing F1? In this same thread, you have people who have basically finished F4 and it´s common to have elements spread in different levels, since we usually don´t have a homogeneous level of strength for all elements. So you can have the same person doing different elements at F1, F2 and F3 for example.
I apologize for asking. I just wanted to ask people about their experience with the foundation series, and wished that you guys would offer your 2 cents in regards to F1 specifically so that it can help with my own journey. I agree that strength is not so homogeneous especially with the 7 elements, but we all struggle similarly with the elements in more ways than one, or at least that's what I believe. If I offended you with my assumptions, then I am deeply sorry. Really. I had no intention doing so.
In my experience, reading every word on the course forums, and putting up many form checks, is the best way to do things. I didn't start making good progress till I did those things. I still go over stuff again and again. Don't overestimate your recovery abilities, start with a 2 or 3 day split. Figure out what your weaknesses are and focus on those. Personally I shot through to F3 on SLS very quickly, but MN elements were very hard (still on F1) because of hamstring mobility. It all really depends on your own strengths and weaknesses.
Jesse Kim said:Thanks guys for you advice. I'll try doing F1 until I can get H1 and see from there how I progress. Just out of curiosity, how far did you guys get on F1?
I was pretty happy with most of F1 and found it responded quickly to training; the noticable exception was RC/PE6 which took me several months to nail in
My flexibility has always been fairly good so I didn't struggle with the mobility learning curve that is most strong guys' difficulty with it, so until I got into the strength challenges of F2-3 my progress was relatively linear. Since then I have on occasion dialed back to do a rebuild cycle on some late F2 / F3 elements if I feel like there's a bit more form tweak to gain from, but haven't needed to re-tread any F1 ground. A big part of this was attending a seminar not so long after its release and thus getting put on the straight and narrow pretty early.
Jesse Kim said:I apologize for asking. I just wanted to ask people about their experience with the foundation series, and wished that you guys would offer your 2 cents in regards to F1 specifically so that it can help with my own journey. I agree that strength is not so homogeneous especially with the 7 elements, but we all struggle similarly with the elements in more ways than one, or at least that's what I believe. If I offended you with my assumptions, then I am deeply sorry. Really. I had no intention doing so.
No offense taken. Jon is one for example that is probably being humble but I guess is only waiting for manna to graduate from Foundation ![]()
I´m not an example of consistency at all. I went until F3 in some elements and stayed more than one year without exercising. I came back this year and I´m retesting everything, wished there was an organ to store physical conditioning/strength. So now I have lagging elements like RC in F1 and others in F2.
You will progress faster if you can keep your consistency in the program without overthinking and trying to adapt/create what´s already well established. The more you follow the program the faster you´ll progress.
Romulo said:No offense taken. Jon is one for example that is probably being humble but I guess is only waiting for manna to graduate from Foundation
I´m not an example of consistency at all. I went until F3 in some elements and stayed more than one year without exercizing. I came back this year and I´m retesting everything, wished there was an organ to store physical conditioning/strength. So now I have lagging elements like RC in F1 and others in F2.
You will progress faster if you can keep your consistency in the program without overthinking and trying to adapt/create what´s already well established. The more you follow the program the faster you´ll progress.
Nah, I'm still in F2 pl, F3 FL / Mn / HBP, F4 SL / RC. Only one I've actually finished is SLS
I remain on track.
Every time I have found difficulty trying to progress I have solved it by finding a bit more on previous progressions. I would definitely recommend anyone new to the program to avoid those difficulties entirely by following the 'while drinking a bottle of coke' standard for mastery from the get-go ![]()
My bad, sorry ![]()
Yes, definitely a good advice. I went sloppy last time and what comes fast, goes away fast as well.
Romulo said:No offense taken. Jon is one for example that is probably being humble but I guess is only waiting for manna to graduate from Foundation
I´m not an example of consistency at all. I went until F3 in some elements and stayed more than one year without exercizing. I came back this year and I´m retesting everything, wished there was an organ to store physical conditioning/strength. So now I have lagging elements like RC in F1 and others in F2.
You will progress faster if you can keep your consistency in the program without overthinking and trying to adapt/create what´s already well established. The more you follow the program the faster you´ll progress.
Thank you for understanding, Romulo. I agree with you just being consistent with your training is the only way to progress. I think that's going to be my main concern with the series; which is to just stay consistent and not get upset whenever I mess up.
Jon Douglas said:Nah, I'm still in F2 pl, F3 FL / Mn / HBP, F4 SL / RC. Only one I've actually finished is SLS
I remain on track.
Every time I have found difficulty trying to progress I have solved it by finding a bit more on previous progressions. I would definitely recommend anyone new to the program to avoid those difficulties entirely by following the 'while drinking a bottle of coke' standard for mastery from the get-go
Jon, I really love your honesty. Your humility and helpful advice plus 2 cents is making me even more excited to get started right away. As a novice I feel welcomed and relaxed knowing that you're willing to spend your time helping me get started on my journey. And it's not just you; I can feel the humility in this community and that's what I love about these forums. It's great to know that there are humble people willing to point out their flaws and trying to overcome them. Thank you so much by the way ![]()
Sorry another novice question: do I get lifetime access to F1 or do I have to purchase the whole series in order to get some sort of lifetime guarantee? Just wondering.