Hi everyone and Coach,
I have aquired a wealth of knowledge just by reading numerous posts on this forum so I am very gateful. One think that I really have little info on is how to put together a proper program. I mean what would your recommendations be? Are there certain rules to follow? Maybe I should give more info about my goals so my routine can fit: I would like to gain a lot of PURE strength that's functional to tumbling, strength holds such as planches and skills such as press handstands. From reading from other sources, it seems that many people follow these guidelines for strength routines:
Skills or most CNS intensive things come first, though planches can be put at the end occassionally.
25-50 reps total per muscle group
1rm-5rm (1-5 reps) 3-5 mins rest in between sets
Balance a horizontal push with a vertical push and same for pull
This is very basic and when Coach Sommer saw my old routine he said
Gymrob,On reviewing your workout, the first thing that struck me was the enormous pressing volume in a single workout. My preference would be for you to take those same pressing exercises and spread them over three separate workouts; handstand pushups on one day, planche pushups on another and dips on still another.
So does this mean doing something like this on monday, wednesday and friday?:
Monday:
appropraite planche holds in sets of 50% max
HSPU's: 5X3
Pullups (weighted): 5X4
Hanging Leg raises: 5X5
Pistols: 5X4
Wednesday:
appropraite planche holds in sets of 50% max
Tuck planche pushups: 5X3
Rows(weighted): 5X5
Ab wheel roll outs: 5X5
Pistols: 5X4
Friday:
appropraite planche holds in sets of 50% max
Dips (weighted): 5X4
Pullups(weighted): 5X4
Ab wheel roll outs: 5X5
Pistols: 5X4
Is this routine ok? I really need to know how good or bad it is and what can be improved. Thankyou so very much!