This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back pain from Jefferson curls

Started by Rickard, August 17, 2015 · 11 Replies · 1,582 Views

Rickard

Hi, first time posting a question.

I have a flexible lower back and also pretty flexible hamstrings. I have been using the Jefferson curl to increase my pike mobility. Doing it the normal way gives me a dull ache in my lower back for a day or two afterwards.

I have tried to do it with a neutral spine to place more load on my hamstrings. The question is, is that variant as good as the normal one? Should I try to do more of the normal curl to increase my tolerance with loaded flexion exercises or should I adapt and do the neutral spine variant?

/Rickard

Cole Dano

Do the 'normal curl' but reduce your load.

 

For the already flexible the Jefferson Curl is often more of a strengthener for the lower back and posterior chain, and needs to be loaded accordingly. 

 

At first this may mean just bodyweight.

Wes Tan

Post a video if you can so we can see what exactly you are doing. A dull ache for a few days after is not a good sign.

 

Reduce load as Cole says for sure.

dmcmanam

There is no "neutral spine" variant of the Jefferson curl.  The whole point of the exercise is to articulate under load, starting with very light weights & slowly progressing specifically so that one does not feel the type of pain you are describing.  Lower the weight and work your core strength as your abs, obliques & lower back will support the load better when they are stronger.  I would also note that "flexible" is a relative term.  If you have what I consider "flexible" hamstrings and lower back then your chest can easily rest on your thighs in a forward bend and you cannot use the Jefferson curl to increase flexibility, it can only be used to increase strength.

Kyle Pittman

I've been having the same issue. I've started with a 9# bar, and I'm horribly inflexible in my calves, hamstrings, pretty much everything surrounding my legs/hips. I've also injured my back several times through sports and lifting weights and believe that there are some lumbar disc issues. After completing 1-2 sets of 5 reps with 9 pounds it feels fine until the next day or two afterwards. During the set I feel some pulling/discomfort right in the low back musculature as well as around the vertebrae. Is this something that I need to suffer through to see the benefits of getting more mobile, or should I be staying away from this entirely? I'm in F1 currently and can not afford to jump into the stretch series just yet, which is the answer I keep getting/seeing from others. What should I be doing here?

Everett Carroll

Hi Kyle,

Since you have a history of disc issues and are experiencing pain after these, I recommend seeing a physio to find out what is safe for you. I can say with certainty that you do not want to "suffer through these". Avoid the pulling, uncomfortable pain completely, even if that means completely avoiding these for now, and see a doctor.  

Ryan Bailey

Hey Kyle,

another note: since I noticed that was your 1st post on the forum, take advantage of the coaches knowledge and submit a video. The advice from the coaches will get your form dialed in with any movement and hopefully reduce your pain.

Coach Sommer
On September 29, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Kyle Pittman said:

I've been having the same issue. I've started with a 9# bar, and I'm horribly inflexible in my calves, hamstrings, pretty much everything surrounding my legs/hips. I've also injured my back several times through sports and lifting weights and believe that there are some lumbar disc issues. After completing 1-2 sets of 5 reps with 9 pounds it feels fine until the next day or two afterwards. During the set I feel some pulling/discomfort right in the low back musculature as well as around the vertebrae. Is this something that I need to suffer through to see the benefits of getting more mobile, or should I be staying away from this entirely? I'm in F1 currently and can not afford to jump into the stretch series just yet, which is the answer I keep getting/seeing from others. What should I be doing here?

Hi Kyle,

Simple solution.  If 9lbs is too much, drop down until you reach the point where the load is not too much.  

In your case I would recommend beginning with as little as just the weight of your torso and then progressing by 1 to 2 lb increases at a time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chad Moffitt

Hi Richard,

My back used to go out either immediately, or over the next day or two with Jefferson Curls.  You might find some good info in that thread:

Jefferson Curl-back goes out

I went back to zero weight, and doing JCs a couple times a day.  It's taken me about a year of taking it very carefully, and now my back doesn't go out, and I'm very very carefully increasing weight (at 7kgs currently).  I usually do a couple of JCs a day as desk breaks.  Hopefully the thread gives you some ideas or help....

Kyle Pittman

I did one quick, unweighted rep in my office today just to show what it looks like. Even unweighted, and after a weekend of not doing much, it felt very tight in my low back and on the upper/outer parts of glutes. I have pants on so you can't see it but I feel a pretty gnarly stretch in my hamstrings, as well as a "nerve" like stretch behind my left knee.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kyle,

The best thing you can do is to keep doing these without weight, only going as low as you can without pain. A nice stretch throughout your back and hamstrings is okay, but pain is something you should steer clear of. Doing this, your ROM, flexibility and strength will gradually increase.

Kevin Herring

Follow the Coach's advice.  I went from 70lbs down to 15lbs before I could perform the exercise correctly.  And then it took weeks to be able to get to my feet.  And a few more weeks to get below my toes.  I'm up to 16kg to 20kg now.  It takes time to build.  But get the movement correct first.

It's mobility not max. effort. 

Epson salt soaks at night before bed helped prevent soreness the next day. 

And the stretch series did help too.  So even though you can't purchase now.  Find something for hamstring and quad stretches.