Hi all,
I've started climbing again as of the start of this year and am concerned about my finger tendons, my current approach is just to take things easy and stick to nice big holds for the most part and only work smaller crimps very seldomly and if my fingers start to feel fatigued I stop. So far I've been making rapid progress as my strength develops but I know I'll want to start working routes with more demanding holds in the future and want to prepare for this as thoroughly as possible to avoid injury.
Would a steady state cycle be a useful aproach? so start by hangin for 12 seconds off a large hold, repeat to accumulate a minutes total work. The following week increase hold time to 20 seconds, conttinue this process until I can hold a minute with little difficulty and then repeat the whole process whilst wearing a 2kg weight.
Contiune in this manner until I've got up to 1.5 times bodyweight and then move onto a smaller hold using only bodyweight,build up to 1.5 times bodyweight again, proceed to a smaller hold.
Does this sound like a sensible approach? should I stay at a given hold time for longer? If I remember correctly we were supposed to hold at a given time for 4 weeks but I'm not sure.
Cheers