Japanese Handstand Help

Started by Kuboy, August 12, 2015 · 7 Replies · 2,756 Views

Kuboy

Hi there,

 

I'm almost certain I'm arching and I was wondering whether increasing my shoulder mobility alone would fix this problem? If so, is there a way to increase shoulder mobility at this angle? I'm not sure how it compares to normal handstands in terms of achieving the hollow body position... Thanks in advance! BTW Please excuse my weird way of getting into it eeek!!!!

 

Itamar Sha'ashua

I must say the first attempt was quite funny... ;)

You're so arch that is possible to see it from the front.. anyway, try to film it from the side so it will be possible to see the shape better.

Kuboy
Itamar Sha said:

I must say the first attempt was quite funny... ;)

You're so arch that is possible to see it from the front.. anyway, try to film it from the side so it will be possible to see the shape better.

Yeah, sorry about the angle. I had limited options and I didn't want to hit the TV they have there!

Micawberian

Well, I have nothing to say on your attempt, but you should know that I asked the prerequisitites for japanese handstand once. I can't find the bloody thread but the recommended prerequisitites were something along the line of press HS and inverted cross. Something to think about,

I remember a forum member long ago received a very serious injury from his japanese hs training, and his recovery took months upon months. I don't know if he ever fully recovered

Alexander Egebak

I would recommend what Micawberian is essentially saying, get the prerequisites down first.

 

In your video you have arched back, bent legs, no pointed feet, legs spread, elbows bents, shoulders not open enough... All which are things that needs to be fixed first.

 

I am also curious about your normal handstand because if you do these mistakes too you are in very deep water injury-wise.

Kuboy
Micawberian said:

Well, I have nothing to say on your attempt, but you should know that I asked the prerequisitites for japanese handstand once. I can't find the bloody thread but the recommended prerequisitites were something along the line of press HS and inverted cross. Something to think about,

I remember a forum member long ago received a very serious injury from his japanese hs training, and his recovery took months upon months. I don't know if he ever fully recovered

Damn, ok. Well that's a good wakeup call. Might put this on hold for a few years! Thanks for the advice guys.

Alessandro Mainente

From bend to straight elbows, the fastest way to make your elbows explode.

Kuboy
Alessandro Mainente said:

From bend to straight elbows, the fastest way to make your elbows explode.

Eeek! Yeah it seems so obvious in hindsight, but at the time I was like "what's the risk?" ahaha. Thanks to you guys, perhaps I will stay injury free for some time!