This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stalled progress for rope climb

Started by Tucker Whitcomb, August 6, 2015 · 9 Replies · 690 Views

Tucker Whitcomb

I've hit a serious roadblock in F1 doing the Bent Arm Chin Hang. I've been at it for 4 months now but can't master it. Recently it even feels like I've gotten weaker at it.

 

Rope climb was one of my strongest exercises coming into this exercise but it's been a humbling experience and I'm getting pretty frustrated. 

 

Did anyone else have trouble with this one and has some tips on how to build the strength to master this exercise?

Tucker Whitcomb

Awesome and thank you both. Yup now I've found all the other posts about this and it's actually really helpful to know others have struggled with this as hard as I have. 

~Atticus

Something that is working for me was a cue that Alessandro shared a few months back. Essentially he said that you should only advance in a static hold if doing five sets of the hold for a certain duration becomes relatively easy that it's no longer a challenge (he used the analogy of being able to drink a bottle of coke while doing the hold).

 

I started chin holds in June with a modest 5 sets at 24 seconds. At that time I started Pe6, I was actually strong enough to do 5 sets of 30 secs, but would have done so with a lot of struggle and duress. So I decided to scale things back a notch and just do 24 seconds, until my body told me that it was easy.

 

Another decision I made was to only advance by increments of 3 seconds after having mastered a certain duration.  So after mastering 24 seconds, I advanced to 27 seconds, then to 30 seconds, and so on. 

 

I'm currently at 42 seconds for 5 sets, and I'm probably going to master this time today. If I achieve mastery, with relative ease, I'll advance to 45 seconds this coming week.  

 

** I'm not suggesting that you follow my methodology, but just shedding some light on what I've done, and how I plan on accomplishing chin holds.

Murray Truelove

I used the 30s template to get the chin hang, it took me 30 weeks. I rock climb so I already had a lot of conditioning but still found this one tough, I got to about 5x48s before I needed to add more rest between sets.

What helped me was never missing a set, if I had to do 36s but failed at 30s, I'd catch my breath and then finish the set. Keeping the volume high and add rest as needed.

dritar

Drinking a bottle of coke while doing RC/PE6. So I have to be able to hold myself over the bar one handed ;). ? That's really intense.

Freeflyer

You just need one of the beer can sippy hats.  Problem solved.

Jon Douglas
Nick_EOD said:

You just need one of the beer can sippy hats. Problem solved.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong? ! :D

~Atticus

Today I completed 5x54s of RC/PE6, coincidental with my 6 months anniversary of starting this PE.

 

Needless to say, like is true for most of us, this has been one really, really, tough experience. Character building as well. After mastering 5x38s, I simply dreaded the thought of moving up to 41s--it just seemed too difficult for me and I wanted to hang up my cleats.

 

After I completed 5x48s I thought my arms were just about to fall off. I couldn't fathom how I could manage doing 51s, let alone anything longer than that. But I did. And now that I've completed 54s I've started to trust that I might be able to get to the finish line after all. Though I can see a flicker of light, I'm still very much in the depths of the tunnel.

 

But I'm now ready to begin the slow, steady, and labored crawl to the finish line.

Jon Douglas

Well done :) well earnt.