This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Resting between sets

Started by mike_e_eh, August 6, 2015 · 8 Replies · 322 Views

mike_e_eh

IS there a recommend time to wait between sets. I normally do strength/mobility and then rest about 30srconds, then go right into my next set again. Should I be resting longer?

Jon Douglas

There is a recommended time to rest between sets; immediately move between strength and mobility until you have completed your sets. No extra :)

Romulo

I don't know if Jon's answer was clear for you. The rest time is ZERO. The mobility part is already your rest, or active rest if you want to call it.

Besides that, like Jon said, only the minimal time that you take to move from mobility to the next set

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Personally I noticed that for a few elements that involved an intense endurance, like FL/PE6, MN/SE1, RC/PE6 the time passing between sets is very short. For the elements I mentioned I saw that time between sets is about 20-25 sec... max 30 sec. I will be honest, I give me an additional time for a few long breaths in order to spare and keep maximal concentration, soon after done the mobility element. I feel that such endurance elements  require a higher mental effort, other than essentially physical, in order to reach mastery (I talk mainly about 5*60 sec/rep requirement). Anyway I talk about add time of 10 sec, not more!: so max 40-45 sec and I resume the strenght element. Is it too much time for the elements I mentioned?

 For other elements , such as SL/PE4>iM , RC/PE2>iM , RC/PE3>im, which involved static holds for both sides, time is definitely higher (at least 1 min). In these cases I moved istantly on the strenght element as fast as I can, I feel like I rested enough.

 

Recently I read this thread: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/21210-question-about-true-mastery/

It is said that a good rule of thumb for a "true" mastery could be to be able to perform at least the mastery reps x 2 in a row. (so 1* 200% mastery). Maybe if I have some doubts about resting too much between sets, it could be a good idea to do this test too. If it is a success, I should be quite confident to move on the next progression, right?

Romulo

The definition of mastery in the course is clear, there is no rest between sets. Allowing oneself to rest while still conquering an element may be a temporary solution but it doesn´t qualify for mastery.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Romulo said:

The definition of mastery in the course is clear, there is no rest between sets. Allowing oneself to rest while still conquering an element may be a temporary solution but it doesn´t qualify for mastery.

Ok Romulo, I got the point. I guess the short duration of the 5*60 rep/secs mobility elements I mentioned was set for a specific reason.  :) 

mike_e_eh

Thank you all. I will make 0 rest as my goal for mastery!!

Jon Douglas
mike_e_eh said:

Thank you all. I will make 0 rest as my goal for mastery!!

 

It's harsher, but it does make a substantial difference :)

William Str

I do them with zero rest. A little extra time between each set, greatly lengthens the training session. As I've understood, you can rest a little bit, when done with all the sets for one exercise.