This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about true mastery

Started by vannybute, July 12, 2015 · 12 Replies · 536 Views

vannybute

After mastering, say 5x15 reps of something, should you be able to do all the reps without any difficulty or effort whatsoever (i.e. no heavy breathing, muscle fatigue), or should you just be able to get through with the correct form cues for the exercise?

 

Also, is it normal to not be able to do, say 45 unbroken and clean reps of the exercise upon 5x15 mastery? Or is that not ok...

 

Just confused about mastery standards here in GB compared to other fitness

 

Thanks!

Nick Roy

I'd he's tired, then good to go in a few minutes then that's fine, because he should be exerting himself. But if he has to sit down for 10 minutes, gasping for air..even if he finished all sets and reps with proper tempo he should stay on that progression for awhile longer.

Shaking usually goes hand in hand with it. There should be zero shaking to prove mastery

Alessandro Mainente

Basically with the mastery you should be able to do at least the mastery reps x 2 in a row. maybe 3.  2 is more realistic.

LateStarter@46

Thanks to Alex (above), the phrase 'doing it with ease whilst drinking a bottle of coke' is the slang for Mastery here  :D

Jon Douglas

That's a good rule of thumb ( 1* 200% mastery). I generally gauge it pretty much entirely by the last set-- am I wiped? Do I have more in me? Do I just want to move on so that I don't have to do that again? :)

I also like Ales 5/5/5/5/7 guide for mastery. Numbers alone may not tell the whole story of course, but its a solid guide.

Mark Collins

When I started I would consider mastery when I completed the reps first time. This was due to impatience and wanting to move on to the next exercise. The problem with this is you will usually get stuck in a later element.

Now I like to feel like I could do another set if I wanted to or have some left in the tank. If in doubt repeat the cycle as you will find the later elements easier.

Alexander Egebak

No one have mentioned this yet... But I believe that the requirement for several workouts of mastery also reinforces mastery of the exercise. It requires you to show mastery more than once; 2 or 3 times.

Romulo
Micawberian said:

Wow, I had no idea there was a blog here. How long has this been around!?

Gosh, good that you said that Micawberian, I hadn´t noticed as well! :facepalm:

Stephen Majerle

According to the blog mastery requires perfect form for multiple sets. But it doesn't say it has to be easy or require no effort. I think if you've demonstrated mastery as described in the course it's time to move on and continue progressing.

Jon Douglas

You still need to master your 'I could do this all day' effort face :)

Nick Roy

I sure as hell do lol