Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Squat - Ass To Grass

Ron Roitman

Ron Roitman

My body-line from my right side looks pretty solid to me. However, looking on my left side my line isn't as good and only my left heel comes just a little off of the ground. Even on a regular "resting" squat one side is very straight and the other is just a bit "messed up".

I used to come on a regular basic to the Ido Portal method in Israel. I've always been told that it doesn't matter how you place the feet cause everyone has a different structure. My coach at the gym, however, once told me to place my big toes closer to the mid line instead of placing the feet to the side-it felt kind of unnatural.

Anyway, what do you think of my form? I recorded from 3 angles(one of each side and one from the front) and criticism is appreciated.

Thank you :)

Alessandro Mainente

I do not like your technique, my sensation is that you are pushing the knees forward instead of moving the ass behind you. when people squat atg they usually push the knees forward at the end of the squat not at the beginning. this is the biggest mistake of the squat. if as you to perform the wall squat with feet at 2-3 cm you will fail at 100%, sign of wrong approach.

BY the front view I can see you have a hips imbalance, probably hips capsule problem. fix it then come back to squat.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

To follow up with what Alex said; for normal persons the knees should not move past the toes, if you have a lot of flexibility or a very unique lower body composition it is okay with an inch or two, in the bottom portion, but it should be discouraged to do so in the beginning of the descend.

Jan Reipert

To follow up with what Alex said; for normal persons the knees should not move past the toes, if you have a lot of flexibility or a very unique lower body composition it is okay with an inch or two, in the bottom portion,

this is outdated and wrong. knees over toes is not a problem at all and necessary for most people in a deep squat. but you are right in saying that this is not supposed to occur right from the start of the squat.

• Upvote 6

Alexander Egebak

this is outdated and wrong. knees over toes is not a problem at all and necessary for most people in a deep squat. but you are right in saying that this is not supposed to occur right from the start of the squat.

Okay, thank you for correcting me :)

Ron Roitman

I almost have no idea how I can fix the imbalance... =/

Maybe it's due to tightness of the hip flexors? Any suggestions guys? 

BY the front view I can see you have a hips imbalance, probably hips capsule problem. fix it then come back to squat.

If you want to squat like a Powerlifter, yes most will push butt back and less of a knee angle. Some PLers squat very deep though these tend to be Weightlifters who have switched to Powerlifting.

If you want to squat like a Weightlifter (Snatch, Clean&Jerk), you just squat down. You don't need to overthink it, blah blah blah. Get your feet comfortable and squat down. Then Squat down. Then do this for 1-20reps  :D Maybe one day you'll squat 1.5-2xBW. Maybe you'll squat 200kg.

Your squat is fine, I'd say look forward rather than down. You also seem to have some long tibias.

A lot of everyone's squat will vary pending their sketal levers and muscle flexibility (tight quads or hamstrings, etc) Also, some people have just wonky flexibility in their joints.

ilya-Ilyin-almaty-240_lg.jpg

736117_333147586822264_655615415_o.jpg1673.jpg

The end.

• Upvote 3