Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I believe I found this website after researching a little bit on Beastskills.com
I'm 26 years old 5'11'', 170 lbs. I used to train for amateur MMA several years ago up until multiple injuries prevented me from continuing. Oddly enough neither of these were the result of boxing/wrestling training. Up until this point I had been doing mostly bodyweight training via Rossboxing and a small mix of weight lifting exercises.
I'm here on this site to learn as much as I can about progressing through static holds, strength movements, and primarily for now rehab/prehab joint training. I never have had a personal trainer or any formal coaching in body conditioning/strength training, unless you count the one free personal training session you get with a gym membership... which I don't.
When I was training for MMA, I was [and still am] very OCD about training. And things like a "balanced training routine", "joint prehab", and "muscle imbalances" were the furthest thing from my mind. Needless to say, somewhere along the way I created some problems for myself. Every single one I have been to a doctor for, and prescribed physical therapy, and have yet to see any improvements. Infact, I've seen more improvements in my shoulder from practicing handstands then I have from all the physical therapy I've done.
Right now I'm trying to keep myself active and go through some of the progressions on the website without overloading myself. I figure starting out simple will help me from tearing out hair later on. So I'm mainly focusing on handstands, frog stands, hanging from bars, hanging leg lift progression. These don't seem to bother me, and so far I've progressed from falling over when trying handstands to doing them on park benches and holding for up to 8 seconds before twisting out onto my feet.
Right now, the quick little program I've thrown together looks like this:
monday: strength [handstand training, frog stands, hanging leg lifts, maybe one legged squats depending on knees]
tuesday: conditioning [sets of stairs climbs, tabata drills upper/lower body & core, uphill sprinting, burpees]
wednesday: rest
thursday: strength [very similar to monday if not the same]
friday: conditioning
saturday: handstand skill training only
sunday: rest
every workout is started with a 5 minute light shadowboxing warmup to get the blood going, and then 15-20 minutes of static stretching and a few dynamic stretches here and there. On conditioning days I don't do all those exercises, I just pick one that would work that day. Since I can't really perform many lower body strength moves due to my "off track" knees, I've been doing mostly stair climbs.
I've made a post in the Joint & Flexibility section about the injuries that I am working on exterminating if anyone is curious/motivated enough to take a read and give me any feedback. The link is below
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2612