This has been done before, but what pull exercise and press exercise would you always pair together? At the moment, for me, push ups and body weight rows, as I am building up my strength at the moment. In the future (some years) I would hope to be able to pair rope climbing and a HSP together.
Push and pull: Like ying and yang
Started by Jesse Kim, July 28, 2015 · 20 Replies · 8,230 Views
Group by plane. Hspu -- pullup/RC. Pushup -- Row. Curl -- dip. Multi planar -- multi planar.
Roesler is my favourite combined pull-press (done with a straight body), but Galimores are also amazing.
I got curious about this exercise "Roesler" and it seems almost like secret stuff haha.. I could only find this link at GB with my googling, in addition to a lot of people with that surname haha... So it is a press to HS on rings starting from dead hang?
Richard Sassoon said:I got curious about this exercise "Roesler" and it seems almost like secret stuff haha.. I could only find this link at GB with my googling, in addition to a lot of people with that surname haha... So it is a press to HS on rings starting from dead hang?
Muscleup, except instead of a dip goes straight into a hollowback press to HS from the transition :)The name is from one of Coach's boys; ridiculously strong. It's on the YouTube channel, but I can't post the link from work ![]()
Question: what multiplane pressing goes well with fron lever pulls?
Planche to HS/HS to planche ![]()
Jesse Kim said:Question: what multiplane pressing goes well with fron lever pulls?
Hollowback press ![]()
Is that what people term as "90 degree push ups"? I still get confused with that and bowers/erbs as well. I plan on trying them out, in a few years lol
Jesse Kim said:Is that what people term as "90 degree push ups"? I still get confused with that and bowers/erbs as well. I plan on trying them out, in a few years lol
Bower = 90 degree pushup = bent arm, straight body press to HS.
Technically a hollowback press requires coming from a support; usually seen in an L-sit--> (bent arm/straightbody) press to HS. For ease-of-use we now call the floor version a HBP also
bentarm planche --> HS.
Erb is another story all together; HS--> planche--> planche pushup--> planche press back to HS = 1 rep.
Clear as mud? ![]()
Bruh, more like clear as spring water. Thank you for clarifying! ![]()
Vertical push: HSPUs (HandStand Push-Ups)
Vertical pull: PUs (Pull-Ups) / RC (Rope Climbing)
Horizontal push: PUs (Push-Ups) / PPPUs (Pseudo Planche Push-Ups) / PPUs (Planche Push-Ups)
Horizontal pull: IRs (Inverted Rows) / FLPUs (Front Lever Pull-Ups)
"Diagonal" push: Dips
"Diagonal" pull: Inverted Pull-Ups
About dips and inverted pull-ups (which are not so used in training as far as I saw in my experience, but are good to compensate for dips), I wrote diagonal because the progression (for dips at least), would bring you to RTO dips with a x degree lean forward, so out of the vertical plane of movement. Moreover biomechanic for the pure vertical push (HSPUs) and for dips are much different. In fact (weighted) dips will help a lot for a possible planche development, contrary to the HSPUs which bring little/no carryover to horizontal pushing.
Vertical push/pull: MU (Muscle-Us) / Inverted MU / Reverse MU
The "classical" muscle-up brings you from a dead hang to a (rings) support, so it pairs pull-ups and dips.
The inverted muscle-up, aka elevator, brings you from an inverted hang to a rings handstand, so it pairs inverted pull-ups and handstand push-ups.
The reverse muscle-up, brings you from a german hang to a full RTO rings support, so it pairs german hang pull-ups (is that the name???) and RTO dips.
For horizontal pull/push there will be some "impossible" movements. For impossible I mean noone has ever done it, but since I would like to consider every possible bent arm plane of movement, I will write them.
Horizontal pull/push: FL MU to PL (front lever muscle up to planche) / BL MU to PL (back lever muscle up to planche) / FL MU to IP (front lever muscle up to inverted planche) *
The front lever muscle up to planche brings you from a front lever to a planche through a front lever pull-up, a transition over the rings, and a planche push-up.
The back lever muscle up to planche brings you from a back lever to a planche through a back lever pull-up and a following planche push-up (so a full rom prone shoulder motion).
The front lever muscle up to inverted planche brings you from a front lever to an inverted planche through a front lever pull-up and a following inverted planche push-up (so a full rom supine shoulder motion) (will this ever exist?
).
* if there will ever be someone who can do a supine planche
:D
We could do also some consideration for straight arm movements if you like
Francesco Pudda said:
For horizontal pull/push there will be some "impossible" movements. For impossible I mean noone has ever done it, but since I would like to consider every possible bent arm plane of movement, I will write them.
Horizontal pull/push: FL MU to PL (front lever muscle up to planche) / BL MU to PL (back lever muscle up to planche) / FL MU to IP (front lever muscle up to inverted planche) *
The front lever muscle up to planche brings you from a front lever to a planche through a front lever pull-up, a transition over the rings, and a planche push-up.
The back lever muscle up to planche brings you from a back lever to a planche through a back lever pull-up and a following planche push-up (so a full rom prone shoulder motion).
What you call a FL MU to PL is known as a Galimore in GB terminology. The BL MU to PL is known as a Pelican (full, unsupported, I guess). These are also done regularly with straight arms by the top gymnasts.
Ravn said:What you call a FL MU to PL is known as a Galimore in GB terminology. The BL MU to PL is known as a Pelican (full, unsupported, I guess). These are also done regularly with straight arms by the top gymnasts.
I looked it up in BTGB and, oh my goodness, do the exercises look extremely difficult. Scratch that, those skills are extremely difficult. I hope to add them to my repertoire in a couple of years to come. Seeing that they are mentioned, would you pair different CPP (I think that's the abbreviation) together? Dear Cecilia God, the possibilities are endless.
Jon Douglas said:Muscleup, except instead of a dip goes straight into a hollowback press to HS from the transition
The name is from one of Coach's boys; ridiculously strong. It's on the YouTube channel, but I can't post the link from work
Wow, a lot of tough skills here... Something to aim for the future ![]()
I just found the Galimore on the youtube channel...
Wouldn't a front pull go well with the HBP? Just wondering since the ROM of the two skills seem identical in the opposite directions.
Front pull is a straight arm element
good in its own right but I was comparing like with like.
Pl press for reps would be the identical/ opposite movement for front pull
Jon Douglas said:Front pull is a straight arm element
good in its own right but I was comparing like with like.
Pl press for reps would be the identical/ opposite movement for front pull
Planche press ups? Oh that sounds more suited with the front pulls just like you stated. Straight arm with straight arm I see. Thanks for clarifying for this noob! ![]()
Wouldn't a front pull go well with the HBP? Just wondering since the ROM of the two skills seem identical in the opposite directions.
I will give you some tips to find the "opposite" exercise for any movement.
First, obvious, if it's a push, the opposite will be a pull and viceversa. I'll give you a scheme (COG = Center of Gravity):
Isometric skills: Push: COG above the support
Pull: COG under the support
Dynamic movements: Push: COG moves away from the support during the CONCENTRIC phase (the ascent)
Pull: COG moves towards the support during the CONCENTRIC phase
The HBP is therefore a push so you will look for a pull.
Now look at the starting position, an handstand (a push). Which is the equivalent pull position? A dead hang
simply that. To be sure about that you have to know that to switch from a pull to a push and vice versa you should imagine to look the skill from a side view. After that, rotate of 180° the body along the axis passing through the hand (or the rings). Here you have a dead hang.
Which is the final position? The bottom part of a planche push-up. So the corresponding pull position will be the upper part of a front lever pul-up (imagine the rotation like before).
So the corresponding pull movement of a HBP is a hang to front level pull-up
(it may be useful for learning the FL PU if you have a FL but not yet the strength to start a pull up from there)
Jesse Kim said:Planche press ups? Oh that sounds more suited with the front pulls just like you stated. Straight arm with straight arm I see. Thanks for clarifying for this noob!
More so planche press HS-- straight arms, planche--> HS. Generally considered the most strength-intensive of the two-armed press-to-handstand variations, possibly including or dis-including manna pike press depending on how you find manna ![]()
Planche press/push-up are more directly translated to FL rows.
As above, probably a Yewki (dead hang-->top of FL row) is a more direct translation for HBP
but as long as you are addressing horizntal / vertical in one go chances are you are covered.
@Francesco Pudda It was great that you explained to me how COG is different between press/pull movements. That made things easier for me to comprehend. Thank You! ![]()
@Jon Douglas I accidentally typed planche press up instead of planche press HS, sorry! :'( But still, very easy to comprehend with your description just now. Thank you as well! ![]()
Jon Douglas said:More so planche press HS-- straight arms, planche--> HS. Generally considered the most strength-intensive of the two-armed press-to-handstand variations, possibly including or dis-including manna pike press depending on how you find manna
Maltese press to Japanese HS is much more strength intensive than planche presses.