• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone use a floor-based computer desk?

Mitchell Church

Mitchell Church

Something like this?

http://dharmadesk.com/benefits/

I have given some thought to trying to incorporate more floor time into my daily routine, but I'm torn because I feel that ANY sitting, whether you're at the computer at a desk, on a yoga ball, on the floor etc. is likely going to be bad for you. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Everything is bad for you to some degree. Hell, too much water and too much oxygen can kill you. If you must, buy a standing desk, a treadmill desk, or put a pullup bar on your office door (or what have you). Crank out some air squats or yogi squat-sits and do some pullup hangs or pullups ever so often. Those are my pragmatic two cents. I would lastly chime in that whatever allows for the most consistency also works best. That consistency, though, is subjective.

In my opinion, much more beneficial to have an adjustable sit/stand desk.  These are desks where you can alternate heights so one minute you can adjust the height to sit on a chair, then adjust it to standing up tall (without the use of a chair).  The one I got was from Ikea but was pretty costly though

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Another alternative: 'sit' in a lunge position, with the front foot on a block and the back knee on a pad. Alternative legs every 5 mins, that way you can stretch your hip flexors all day at work. :-)

• Upvote 1

Ronnicky Roy

In "Get Up", by Dr James Levine he states that 45 min a day is not enough to counteract what you do the other 23 hours of your day and that the best solution is to change your daily habits. Getting up every hour to move around, stretch, hang from a bar, lunge stretch would offer you more benefit than looking for a new position to stay in for 8 hours in one sitting. Sitting for 5 hours isn't good for you, but neither is standing without movement. We're supposed to move : )

Ronnicky Roy

And I do speak from experience. I've spent my hours in the chair during college and the hours on my feet working at a 711 during that same part of my life. Sitting and standing offer relief from the other. But when I was actively working out and moving. Whether it be swimming, martial arts or just biking then neither standing or sitting for long hours bothered me.

• 2 weeks later...
Valerie Christian

Nick roy is spot on.  Movement is crucial.  Set an alarm to go off every hour and when it does move around for 5-10 min.  You'll be surprised how good you feel.  This could be a 5-10 min walk or maybe 5-10 min of whatever is your biggest mobility weakness especially asymmetrical weaknesses.  Using myself as an example, some left-handed xiaopengs forwards and backwards, lat stretch, band pull-aparts 

Oddly enough, in the middle of writing this post I realized how bad my computer posture is

• 4 months later...

http://www.workrave.org/download/

Workrave is a program that assists in the recovery and prevention of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). The program frequently alerts you to take micro-pauses, rest breaks and restricts you to your daily limit. The program runs on GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows.

• Upvote 1