Where to train

Started by Jeffrey Mailly, June 19, 2015 · 4 Replies · 2,366 Views

Jeffrey Mailly

I thought I saw a section on here for this but can't find it again.

 

Anyways, I'm looking for some advice on where to train. I've been searching all of the surrounding towns and haven't found much in the way of a gymnastics facility open to adults. It's mostly classes for children. I'm 6'1'' and my house has lower ceilings, which I bump into even when trying a simple stiff leg windmill. I definitely need to find a place soon.

 

Has anyone else been through the process of looking for a place to train? What did you find in your area?

Romulo

The closest park/playground?

Jeffrey Mailly

That might work in the summer but where I live the Winters are harsh and bury everything making it impossible to do anything outside. When I signed up for F1 I was convinced I'd be able to do it at home but I'm quickly realizing some difficulties that I might not be able to adapt around no matter how much creativity I have.

Romulo

Since you couldn´t find a gymnastics facility, did you try a usual gym/fitness center? Maybe even a Pilates center could be more appropriate, since many of them have stall bars and they could be more open to the idea of someone coming to do something else than Pilates, the same for crossfit boxes. The usual gym staff or members might get fussy if you hang your rings in the squat rack and monopolize it  :)

 

Did you visit personally those gymnastics facilities you said were not open for adults? Maybe it´s worthy a try to go talk personally to the coach or person in charge and try to find a time they are not having anyone in the gym, even very early in the morning or late at night. You could try to explain the GST method, that you would be doing just basic fitness stuff that wouldn´t require spotting or assistance, being perfectly safe and you wouldn´t mess with the other apparatuses. 

Mark Baldwin

I live in Phoenix and would love to find a gym or place that teaches this without the tumbling bs.