This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anyone interested in starting a bay-area meetup/training group?

Started by Joshua Slocum, June 11, 2015 · 43 Replies · 4,052 Views

Joshua Slocum

I'm moving to SF in the fall. Does anyone else here live in the Bay Area? There are a couple of gymnastics gyms in the area with a weekly open gym. I'm thinking it'd be fun to have a weekly meet-up where everyone goes to the gym (or a park, if the weather is real nice), works out together, and then messes around on the equipment for a bit before going out for food and/or drinks.

Is there anyone else on here who'd be interested in a weekly meetup? What kind of things would you like to do at a meetup?

JamesP

Darn it! Bay Area native but I'm currently living in Oceanside/San Diego area. If i still lived there I'd be totally down to do this.

Coach Sommer

I just spoke with Alexandra Navarro the other day.  She is now back in the Bay area and is looking for someone to train with.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MystrT

I'm just getting started with the program, but I'm in the area, and I'd definitely be interested in meeting folks in the area.  

Rob SFO

I live in the east bay so it might be tougher to coordinate, but I could be talked into it. I'm in the city a few times per week for work.

crashnburn
Joshua Slocum said:

I'm moving to SF in the fall. Does anyone else here live in the Bay Area? There are a couple of gymnastics gyms in the area with a weekly open gym. I'm thinking it'd be fun to have a weekly meet-up where everyone goes to the gym (or a park, if the weather is real nice), works out together, and then messes around on the equipment for a bit before going out for food and/or drinks.

Is there anyone else on here who'd be interested in a weekly meetup? What kind of things would you like to do at a meetup?

I'll be in the n'hood :) I made a similar request thread last year but did not find any takers :) Looking forward to meeting with you. 

Giovanni Garcea

My days are a little too busy, but I'm sure I can join the social part (food and drinks ;-) ), maybe not every week though.

John Gardner

I'm just starting the program but I'd be interested in meeting up.

Giovanni Garcea

BTW, it doesn't look like there are affiliates here, but does anybody know about any gyms/qualified GB coaches that we could go to every once in a while to get some help and tips here in the Bay Area?

Jesse Kim

San Jose is where I am at. But, alas, I am still a novice.

Darren Blum

Hi All, Im in the Bay Area, and would love to connect for some GST workouts and tips. I'm on Foundation 1, have been for a while sos some but kicking form the community would be great. Looks like there are 4-5 on here who are interested.

Giovanni Garcea

I propose that we take a first step and we all go out to dinner to welcome Joshua after he moves in the area in the fall. I live in San Jose and would be ok to both drive up to the city or meet mid-way, maybe in Palo Alto, so everybody doesn't have too long of a drive.

John Gardner

Hi Guys,

I own a crossfit affiliate in san rafael named west bay crossfit. I have an open gym from 10-12 on saturdays. Would you be interested in coming up and doing a workout then? Let me know if you'd all be up for it.

Regards,

John

Rob SFO

If we have people in the South, East and North Bay, it seems that SF would be the most central location.  

 

There's a fitness court on the Marina Green.  That could be a fun place to meetup.  

 

iso.jpg

 

Carolina

Hi John,
I'm in the Santa Rosa area and yes I would be interested in Saturdays. 

-Carolina

Nick Roy

I'm looking at moving to California for work. My company has a job opening in the East Bay area.
Would you say it's a safe area?

Giovanni Garcea

Nick,

 

it is very safe, unless you choose to live in East Palo Alto or in another couple of less safe neighborhoods. I leave in San Jose close to Campbell and safety is the last thing we worry about. Great place to raise kids, in case you have them, because there are some many place and you never worry about safety. I moved here 10 years ago from Italy (grew up in the Southern part and spent 10 years in Milan) and great safety is one of the things I love the most about Silicon Valley.

 

Feel free to PM me if you need any details about areas to live, etc...

 

BTW, by far the worst thing about the area is the cost of living, prepare yourself for the sticker shock (unless you live in Manhattan and you are already used to something like this...)

crashnburn

I'll be heading back soon. Hope to hang/ eat/ munch with some folks and maybe do a group workout together :) 

JamesP

This almost makes me regret leaving San Francisco.. lol. Maybe when I come back home for leave I can try to catch you guys in a meetup.

Rob SFO
Nick Roy said:

I'm looking at moving to California for work. My company has a job opening in the East Bay area.

Would you say it's a safe area?

I'm born & raised in the Bay Area, and I've lived in the city, on the peninsula, in the South Bay, and in the East Bay. Each area has good and bad neighborhoods, in terms of safety.

For example, in the East Bay you have certain areas of Oakland or Richmond that I'd consider less safe, while you have areas like Orinda or Alamo that I would consider more safe. Of course with the associated costs of living differences.

If you have specific questions, PM me the details and I'll give you my opinions.

aawilson

I'm in South Bay, too, and have just started (by which, I mean, have been studying the material and haven't had a chance to actually attempt any parts of the progressions yet).

 

For anyone who lives near Palo Alto, are there any places within, say, a 30-minute run of University Ave that have equipment (or substitutes) for the Foundation 1 progressions (at this point, I only know of a single chin-up bar near Willow Park that I can put rings on)? Barring that, is there a gym any closer than Planet Granite in Sunnyvale (which, I have to admit, is pretty well-equipped for a generalist gym, lacking only stall bars)?

rappan

I'm in South Bay, specifically San Jose. I am just starting foundation 1, HS 1 and the stretch series. Did anyone ever meet up? I'd be interested in meeting up at some point if people are still interested.

Thanks,

Max

Joshua Slocum

I added North Bay as a location, by request.