Introduction + quick question

Started by dejanantic, June 4, 2015 · 9 Replies · 2,500 Views

dejanantic

Hello everybody,

 

My name is Dejan, I'm 28 years old, originally from Slovenia, but for the past 8 months I've been living in Norway.

 

I've been working out for the past 7 years, and while I'm ok with barbell and dumbbell lifts (deadlift 180kg for couple reps, squat 140kg, bench 100kg for reps, 20 pull ups, 20 dips, etc.) I'm a complete beginner when it comes to gymnastic skills.

 

I've always admired gymnasts when I saw them doing their thing on television, but I never felt pulled to practice this wonderful sport.

 

But since moving here to Norway, I became obsessed with gymnastics. It's like a fixation lately ... I'm constantly daydreaming about doing handstands and other gymnastic moves.

 

Anyway, a couple of days ago I finally decided to invest in H1. But after checking the forums I noticed that coach Sommer and other guys on the forum recommend that F1 and H1 go hand in hand together. So I guess I'll also get F1.

 

But I'm also interested in increasing my flexibility ... it's always been a dream of mine to do front and side splits.

 

I guess my question is -- should I first start with just H1 and F1 and leave the flexibility course for later? I'm reluctant to take on too much straight from the get-go, because even the H1 course alone looks intimidating to me at the moment :)

 

Any advice on how to get started without feeling overwhelmed is welcome!

korija

I dont think that you get flexibility in foundation (atleast i haven't gotten any so far, just mobility) so if you want some, sure buy stretch courses!

 

p.s Its great to see that you are aware that you're a complete beginner when it comes to gymnastics, many people think that they dont have to start from the bottom because they're ex gymrats xD

Cole Dano

There is no need to put off developing your flexibility.

 

There are a number of recommendations for scheduling imbedded in the programs, and if you still have questions, that's what the forums are for.

 

Of course, if you just want to get your feet wet, pick the course that most appeals to you and see how it feels.

dejanantic

@korija: I realized that the fastest way for me to learn and to progress is to leave my ego aside and really focus on practicing the skill right from the get go :) If I didn't do that, I'd be just shooting myself in the foot.

 

@Cole: considering that limited budget is an issue at the moment for me, is H1 and F1 enough for me to hit the road the "optimal" way? :) I'll probably get the flexibility courses in the following months.

Jon Douglas
dejanantic said:

@korija: I realized that the fastest way for me to learn and to progress is to leave my ego aside and really focus on practicing the skill right from the get go :) If I didn't do that, I'd be just shooting myself in the foot.

 

@Cole: considering that limited budget is an issue at the moment for me, is H1 and F1 enough for me to hit the road the "optimal" way? :) I'll probably get the flexibility courses in the following months.

 

It is definitely enough to get your teeth into and start making solid progress. H1 is IMO the single biggest bang for the buck course, but F1 is where you begin to develop the comprehensive base. Depending on your starting ability you may be able to test through some of the strength elements relatively quickly, but it is less common to see people breeze through the mobility elements :)

dejanantic

Then I guess I have my work cut out for me :) I'll get the F1 and get cracking.

Jon Douglas

Looking forward to hearing your progress :)

dejanantic

Thanks Jon!
 
Ok, so I have the F1 and H1 programs (yay me) and I'm wondering what kind of workout schedule template should I choose?
 
I like to think that my recovery capacity is ok, considering I've been lifting weights for a couple of years now without stopping. Also, I'm able to train every day so I'm guessing either 4 Day integrated or 4-5 Day foundation + 2 HS?
 
Oh man, I'm so pumped for my first workout :)

Jon Douglas
dejanantic said:

Thanks Jon!

Ok, so I have the F1 and H1 programs (yay me) and I'm wondering what kind of workout schedule template should I choose?

I like to think that my recovery capacity is ok, considering I've been lifting weights for a couple of years now without stopping. Also, I'm able to train every day so I'm guessing either 4 Day integrated or 4-5 Day foundation + 2 HS?

Oh man, I'm so pumped for my first workout :)

Jon Douglas
Jon Douglas said:
dejanantic said:

Thanks Jon!

Ok, so I have the F1 and H1 programs (yay me) and I'm wondering what kind of workout schedule template should I choose?

I like to think that my recovery capacity is ok, considering I've been lifting weights for a couple of years now without stopping. Also, I'm able to train every day so I'm guessing either 4 Day integrated or 4-5 Day foundation + 2 HS?

Oh man, I'm so pumped for my first workout :)

Now that you have the courses, you also have access to the private course forums, where all specific discussion takes place :) have a browse in there for plenty of volume talk, or start a new thread