Limitations and expectations

Started by DrinkinMilk, May 16, 2015 · 7 Replies · 2,442 Views

DrinkinMilk

18 months ago I had a carpectomy and am wondering if any body knows what my limitations will me for anything performed on the floor? The occupational therapist told me I would not be able to do push ups do to the lack of range of motion but was wrong. So I am hoping that someone knows of a gymnast who has had the procedure and can help me with my expectations.

Thank you

James

jules

That is wrist surgery, yes? If you have lost range in the wrist, it should still be possible to train on parallettes (small, portable parallel bars), without me knowing all the details of course.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this surgery can chime in for you.

DrinkinMilk

You are correct it is wrist surgery and I can train with both parallettes and rings. Just trying to find out limitations so I can set my expectations with floor exercises.

Thank you

Rayne-William

During the healing process your limitations will be range of motion. The range of motion will improve gradually with diligent effort. 

 

Personally speaking, after breaking my right knee cap and a few knee surgeries my range of motion was the limitations I had to overcome. 

 

I am overcoming some range of motion limitations in my wrists, from several years of abuse due to enduring hundreds of hard falls, with the wrist stretches and strengthening exercises in the handstand course.

DrinkinMilk

So you would suggest starting with the hand stand series instead of Foundations?

Rayne-William
DrinkinMilk said:

So you would suggest starting with the hand stand series instead of Foundations?

Start both.

 

If you are still working with a physical therapist for your wrist, wait until you are released by the physical therapist to start the wrist stretches and exercises in the handstand course, otherwise show your physical therapist the wrist stretches and exercises for his or her recommendations on what you, particularly need to work on for the time being.

 

If you aren't working with a physical therapist do the wrist stretches and exercises slowly and gradually push your range of motion further a little bit at a time.

Use the paralettes gradually less often to strengthen and or develop the range of motion of your fingers, hands, wrists, and forearms. Expect to take a while to gain full range of motion. The range of motion in my right wrist is less than my left wrist.

 

Slow gradual progress is still progress.

DrinkinMilk

I have been released from physical therapy and am back working. Besides the carpectomy range of motion issue I have a lack of mobility in my shoulders and in my hips. The hip mobility problem is obvious on my right side when I do an active straight leg raise. Old you suggest the stretch series first or the F1 and H1? When ordering do you choose between the online course or offline or do you buy the course then sign into the online course?

Thank you

DrinkinMilk

Does anybody know if the stretching or the H1 f1 would be a better option for transitioning from physical therapy to strength training when balance and mobility are the current issue? Is there two options online class or program download or do you buy the program then do the online course?

Thank you