This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

what is elements of Hollow Position ?

Started by Hanlim Lee, May 14, 2015 · 10 Replies · 367 Views

Hanlim Lee

I've been stuck at FL/PE2 and HBP/PE2. 

 

I got shocked because those two PEs doesn't look that hard

 

and seems not much people are hindered by them. 

 

 

I dwell on why I can't progress and I think found the common answer : Hollow Position.

 

the reason my bent hollow body rock is wrong is that my hollow position is not solid enough

 

so I need greater momentum to keep rocking, which results in kicking and tugging. 

 

 

 

the reason my push up is never going anywhere is also my hollow position.

 

as soon as I bent my elbows to go down, chest slightly opens; hollow breaks. 

 

I've never felt serratus anterior activated while working on PEs above.

 

#1. 

then what is element of hollow position?

 

I mean, to feel sure I'm doing right, what parts of my body should be felt activated?

 

I'm assuming

 

1. tailbone tucked,  2. serratus anterior activated, 3. umbilicus sucked in and 4. shoulder protracted. 

 

anything more to be added?

 

 

#2.

plus, how can you guys keep hollow position while moving, for example 

 

when you do hollow body rocks or push ups?

 

will this be solved naturally once I can keep perfect hollow position while being still?

kingzlo

As your rocking on your back, your abs are fully engaged.  As your doing the pushups, in the top position, your back is hollow and parts or your back muscles are stretched (yet very active).  Opposites, in this case, attracts, especially when they are activated together during Planche (sPL).  I see why they all are done on the same day, whether your doing split routine or full body.

kingzlo
Hanlim Lee said:

I've been stuck at FL/PE2 and HBP/PE2. 

 

 

I dwell on why I can't progress and I think found the common answer : Hollow Position.

 

the reason my bent hollow body rock is wrong is that my hollow position is not solid enough

 

so I need greater momentum to keep rocking, which results in kicking and tugging. 

 

If you are kicking and tucking you may have to start the the FL/PE1 as a warm up.  1 set of holding for 60 seconds should work.  Are you sure you 'Mastered' FL/PE1?  For the key is the hold and the abs are activated throughout, with the other 'connectors' held in place especially now as your rocking during FL/PE2.  I was (still) in similar shoes with FL/PE3 & PE4 right now.  Realizing that a warmup helps and how I'm not ready for F7 (although I feel stronger).

Cole Dano

At this stage, best to keep it simple.

 

Tight abdominals, pull the bottom ribs in.

Jon Douglas

Tense abs, lower back flat into the floor for now. Subtler details come with time and reps :)

MattiasF

Hanlim, from my newbie point of view, here are my two cents.

I have found that the early FL progressions and sPL/PE2-3 are really effective at training a good body position IF you spend some time to perfect them. That means practicing them so much that they become natural. They are in every sense very simple exercises, but my philosophy is that if you know the basics by heart the rest comes easy. A good rule of thumb for form is that you should dare to send Coach a message saying that he should change the course video to yours :-)

Mark Collins

I really struggled with BHBr as I had a terrible anterior pelvic tilt. Be persistent and get these first two PEs correct for the later exercises. The hollow body position is key for a lot of foundation. As it improves so too will exercises like push ups.

Jeremy Huston
Hanlim Lee said:

I've been stuck at FL/PE2 and HBP/PE2. 

 

I got shocked because those two PEs doesn't look that hard

 

and seems not much people are hindered by them. 

 

Not true -- lots of us are/were hindered by these.

Hanlim Lee
kingzlo said:

As your rocking on your back, your abs are fully engaged.  As your doing the pushups, in the top position, your back is hollow and parts or your back muscles are stretched (yet very active).  Opposites, in this case, attracts, especially when they are activated together during Planche (sPL).  I see why they all are done on the same day, whether your doing split routine or full body.

- yet very active mans not very active?

 

- I don't get what 'opposites attracts' here, would you clarify? Thanks.  :)

Cole Dano said:

At this stage, best to keep it simple.

 

Tight abdominals, pull the bottom ribs in.

Jon Douglas said:

Tense abs, lower back flat into the floor for now. Subtler details come with time and reps :)

Thanks Cole and Jon. You two gave me so much good advice. I really appreciate. 

 

I know I am anxious but I start to ease my obsession with progress. 

 

I will spend as much time as necessary for basic elements for now I understand these will accelerate later progress.

 

basic doesn't mean easy or not important, right?

 

Just like Coach said in stretch videos, I'll practice as if I'm carving myself from stone.  :P

 

Yet, I'll still post questions! Help me. 

MattiasF said:

Hanlim, from my newbie point of view, here are my two cents.

I have found that the early FL progressions and sPL/PE2-3 are really effective at training a good body position IF you spend some time to perfect them. That means practicing them so much that they become natural. They are in every sense very simple exercises, but my philosophy is that if you know the basics by heart the rest comes easy. A good rule of thumb for form is that you should dare to send Coach a message saying that he should change the course video to yours :-)

 

Thanks. I thought GST is just a physical exercise but now I see it is embedded with philosophy.

 

Philosophy of time, patience and consistency. There are something I need to take absolute time no matter how ardently I want.

 

I wish I could have Coach as my private tutor but that would be incredibly expensive  :wacko: .

 

but instead I have you guys. there are so many good tutors in the forum. :)

 

Mark Collins said:

I really struggled with BHBr as I had a terrible anterior pelvic tilt. Be persistent and get these first two PEs correct for the later exercises. The hollow body position is key for a lot of foundation. As it improves so too will exercises like push ups.

Jeremy Huston said:

Not true -- lots of us are/were hindered by these.

what a relieve! I am not alone!

 

BobH said:

Try this: bring your belt buckle to your chin. This cue has made a huge difference for me, although now my abs are so smoked that I need more recovery.

I just wrote about this in a separate post here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/20479-awesome-coaching-cue-for-ppt/#entry187015

thanks. it is ridiculous that simple cue give me a chance of breakthrough. Impressive!

kingzlo
Hanlim Lee said:

- yet very active mans not very active?

 

- I don't get what 'opposites attracts' here, would you clarify? Thanks.  :)

As your rocking on your back, your abs are fully engaged.  I also believe it helps to create an overall hollow back down to the tailbone (mind visual guesstimate).

 

As your doing the pushups, in the top position, your back is hollow and parts or your back muscles are stretched (yet very active).

- meaning that they are tense (like the back muscles are flexing as they are stretched in hollow at the top).

 

The two opposing workouts help with keeping the whole body tight for Planche (sPL), for you have to get into hollow back and your abs have to be strong in order to keep that 'pushup' position for time.