This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Awesome coaching cue for PPT

Started by BobH, May 8, 2015 · 6 Replies · 446 Views

BobH

I thought I understood posterior pelvic tilt pretty well, but it's something I know I need to work on.  I was working with a coach the other night doing, among other things, some work on 360 degree breathing.  This was done from an all-fours position with full scapular protraction.  At one point he said to me "bring your belt buckle to your chin".

 

I can't believe how much this one cue has helped me, especially when I'm in non-standing positions.  It's been especially effective for hollow body rocks and forearm planks, and I'm finally improving my PPT while in a handstand.

 

Hope this helps.

 

chuchodani

Nice cue ! I try it today with a friend that is not very good doing PPT and it works like magic.

Hanlim Lee

you train with coach Sommer offline? wow, I envy you. 

 

thanks for the good cue and links. :)

 

what is 360 degree breathing and all-fours position?

BobH

Sorry for any confusion - training with "a coach" is not the same as training with "Coach". So no, I'm not training with Coach Sommer, unfortunately.

 

All-fours means on your hands and knees.  360 degree breathing refers to breathing with the diaphragm as opposed to the chest muscles.  This is very important for weight lifting, but now that I'm focussing on gymnastics training I can clearly see the carry over.  I'm actually surprised it's not talked about more.

 

Here's an article/video that explains it very well.  There's a video for the all-fours belly lift exercise down near the end.

http://www.ericcressey.com/tag/breathing

vinca_minor

i thought 360 degree breathing meant circular breathing, like they teach wind-instrument players to do.

jules
BobH said:

 

360 degree breathing refers to breathing with the diaphragm as opposed to the chest muscles.  

 

I just call that 'Breathing'.

Proper use of the diaphragm is very important for overall health, not just for lifting heavy things. Breathing only from the chest is for chumps.  

Edoardo Cagnola

About correct breathing google some of Elliott Hulse's videos on how to breathe into your balls. They've been really helpful to me